List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh? You can’t seriously believe that StKilda will get band 1/2/3 compo for him? It’s unlikely they get anything, he’s not going to get a significant contract from anyone.
I wasnt going to do this, but people were praising you for being correct. I thought I might post this statement you made about Jade Gresham when I suggested he was a chance to push our 2nd rounders back. ;)

Last edited:
I wasnt going to do this, but people were praising you for being correct. I thought I might post thing statement you made about Jade Gresham when I suggested he was a chance to push our 2nd rounders back. ;)
I should have anticipated that Essendon would give him something ridiculous. Well done.

Different discussion, but the Murray one that I told was how it was reported at the time, but many didn't get it as they were still fixated on the old rookie rules and hadn't yet grasped that there's no cost to the player in staying on the rookie list, so players don't generally get upgraded until they have to be - it says nothing about how a player is rated by his club, whereas a lot thought it meant that Sydney didn't rate him at all. So we got the outrage with people assuming that we were played.

It was reported on EBnW at the time, that there was NO contract offer rookie or otherwise until AFTER collingwoods interest.

After the trade Sydney posted a trade recap on the players coming and going, and explained they felt Murray was 3 years away from being AFL relevant.

Being a possible marginal upgrade on lipinski or Ginnivan isn’t a strong enough argument, even if true….especially if you are basing that on form from 3 or more years ago.
maybe on Ginnivan - but not Lipinski with his running power. Given Lyon values 2 way running, its clear why Billings hasn't got many games. Injuries were an issue, but if Lyon rated him I think there'd be no talk of a trade.

Last edited:
I found it odd too and don’t fully understand. All I know is that the guy who shared it with me is normally pretty bang on.
I can't imagine why Dee's would move Grundy on to receive a useless pick 46 and facilitate a trade which benefits us financially whilst being detrimental to them 😆 and leaving them without a backup ruckman. It's a lose, lose, lose for them.

It was reported on EBnW at the time, that there was NO contract offer rookie or otherwise until AFTER collingwoods interest.

After the trade Sydney posted a trade recap on the players coming and going, and explained they felt Murray was 3 years away from being AFL relevant.
I'm skeptical of all footy reporting, but back the media over forums. What I'm saying is what was reported in the media.

Plus considering the next year Swans did Darcy Cameron to us for a very small pick upgrade, I think it likely that they didn't want to lose Murray, rather than the claims that they considered him worthless but saw sucker coming. Especially considering Murray looked to be worth every bit of that trade before stuffing up.

It’s not such a bad thing. Reckon you would rather over-compensate clubs for departing FAs than under. I’d say McKay’s compo very much an outlier.

AFL needs equalisation methods - otherwise we run the risk of bottom-dwellers never getting up. That is not good for the game.

If it wasn’t for us getting a priority pick in 2005 we don’t get Pendles. That was a pretty decent reward for a team that was in the grand final two seasons before. Were you complaining then?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

McKay compo was fine. It’s the evaluation of his worth in contract terms that’s flawed. It’s the sort of contract you offer the very best and he’s nowhere near that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't imagine why Dee's would move Grundy on to receive a useless pick 46 and facilitate a trade which benefits us financially whilst being detrimental to them 😆 and leaving them without a backup ruckman. It's a lose, lose, lose for them.
Unless wires were crossed and it had something to do with the Swans making a payment Through the Adams deal.

selarate question…. Do players get taxed more if they get paid by a second club? You know, how if you have a second job you get taxed more?

Unless wires were crossed and it had something to do with the Swans making a payment Through the Adams deal.

selarate question…. Do players get taxed more if they get paid by a second club? You know, how if you have a second job you get taxed more?
It's not a 2nd job though. I can't imagine how he'd be taxed more because the total amount of his initial contract is still the same, it's just split between 2 clubs. He'd be taxed on the total amount. But maybe an accountant on here could answer this more clearly.

It just doesn't make any sense that Dee's would be worse off than us financially by trading Grundy to Swans. Swans would have just taken over Dee's contract. Adams contract with us/Dee's would have nothing to do with Grundy.

One thing we could potentially have done is pay out Grundy the full amount we owed him, rather than paying the $200-250 per year. But doubt that too. That's a lot of $ in one hit.

His accountant would sort that out. You still end up paying the same tax earning 500k twice as you do earning 1mil once. Gross total taxable income would be the same.

Clubs don’t have to actually offer a contract until the very last minute though. Doesn’t meant they weren’t intending to. Look at us with Begg. He’s contracted till 31 October is my understanding. Still may get an extension.

Weird shit going on there, players stating openly they won’t play for another coach, players lives falling apart, open factional warfare with former leaders. They straight settled twice after a flag, I had them favourites the last two years and they limped home for a shameful exit and much public complaining.

Possible implosion and mass player exodus if this keeps up.

Genuine question - why would we need Dogs to allow us to front load?
Because they have to agree to a multi year contract with Treloar as well.
And if we pay him less or nil in later years they have to pay more.
It affects their TPP management too.

Essendon are making some big salary cap calls this off season to push up the ladder. I feel they dont have the culture to pull it off. 12th place finish coming up.
The melts from Essendon fans will be absolutely epic next year if they miss finals again after blowing up their cap in the offseason on low/mid level players.

Are you sure? Sounds to me like a bigfooty claim that becomes a fact.
Nah, l have seen the same interview as apex, def Pendlebury was first on the list and going to be taken first if we didn’t have the priority pick

Weird s**t going on there, players stating openly they won’t play for another coach, players lives falling apart, open factional warfare with former leaders. They straight settled twice after a flag, I had them favourites the last two years and they limped home for a shameful exit and much public complaining.

Possible implosion and mass player exodus if this keeps up.
Just reeks of the pitfalls of a manager going the mate rather than mentor route

Because they have to agree to a multi year contract with Treloar as well.
And if we pay him less or nil in later years they have to pay more.
It affects their TPP management too.
I would assume it makes no difference the Bulldogs whatsoever how and when we pay Treloar. What we owe him affects our TPP and not theirs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back