List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome the the Graham Wright landscape.

This has his DNA all over it.

It takes us from paupers begging in a doorway to tradesman with services to offer. The first effect is to lift our profile at the trade table and amongst player managers as genuine and serious negotiators.

This is a staging manoeuvre, clearing the path for more serious negotiations and safeguarding our Father/Son choice whilst protecting our first round next year.

More work going on behind the scenes to use that 22 pick is a virtual certainty as we now have options and leverage.

Already in one pick we see the difference between a genuine operator and a learner/driver.

Just so much more professional.

Bookmark this! It is spot on!!

'We have got an appetite to use our levers'

For people melting on here you do realise you have to give something to get something right? It's not necessarily about winning the trade on face value, we have imminent priorities that we need to address:

- Trade for Patrick Lipinski
- Trade for Nathan Kreuger
- Match a early bid for Nick Daicos
- Match a bid for Youssef Dib

We need to achieve this and protect our 1st round pick next year.

I dare say this won't be the picks we take into the draft. For e.g. We might trade out Pick 22 for a bundle of later picks (with more points value), match the bid on Daicos and then trade back into the draft.

Also lets not forget our 2nd round and 3rd round pick from next year will still be pushed back by FA compensation picks, F/S selections and Academy bids.

Sounds like good business to me. Give this Graham Wright bloke a medal.

Do people seriously think we will use pick 22 to be absorbed by ND bid?

Regardless, what a deal from GW, as others have said we now can't be bent over with any excuse of ND points. The PSD a live option as well now!

Over the moon we have gotten this done.
And gotten it done right up front - no messing about with a professional outcome leaving both sides pleased.

I know there are plenty around the place that love the thought of 'bending another club over at the trade table' but that's just plain short sighted. This years victim could be next years saviour and victims have long memories.

Graham understands this and has shown decision, maturity and professionalism, he may well be the very best deal we have done in decades.

So are you upset with using next years 2nd round pick? Or is it the fact that we now have our own second round pick this year, but won't get to use it?
Which one irks you more?
Those two things are tied in to each other to an extent that they shouldn’t be separated. As it stands we’re giving up a second round prospect to gain some points that we could have gained via other avenues. Unless we manage to flip that pick for something valuable, then it’s a fail. People are being optimistic saying wait and see, but frankly I’ve lost faith in our recruiting depts ability to get value for future selections after many years of squandering them.

Those two things are tied in to each other to an extent that they shouldn’t be separated. As it stands we’re giving up a second round prospect to gain some points that we could have gained via other avenues. Unless we manage to flip that pick for something valuable, then it’s a fail. People are being optimistic saying wait and see, but frankly I’ve lost faith in our recruiting depts ability to get value for future selections after many years of squandering them.

Might as well go Barrack for someone else then

If it’s not a loss, it’s a win. Collingwood and the Suns had different motivations.

Win win trade
As l said it’s how we treat 22. At the moment We need point to cover Nick, we got that, so yes a win of sorts, but it’s the moving parts of this, in what we pay for the two who want to come to us as well, then can we use 22 to our advantage

If it’s not a loss, it’s a win. Collingwood and the Suns had different motivations.

Win win trade
I wouldn't say its a win or loss at the moment. It does make us much more flexible with what we can do and we don't have to do any desperate deals to get points late.

We have 7 point carrying picks.

It’s pretty obvious we have other things in the pipeline IMO.

Still going to do Lipinski and Kreuger Trades and might even be a Few More IF those 2 done sometimes this week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My prediction is that it will be #22 for Lipinksi and the Dogs’ 2022 3rd. Hopefully it’s actually #22 and a few of the later picks for Lipinksi and the Dogs’ 2022 2nd.

Welcome the the Graham Wright landscape.

This has his DNA all over it.

It takes us from paupers begging in a doorway to tradesman with services to offer. The first effect is to lift our profile at the trade table and amongst player managers as genuine and serious negotiators.

This is a staging manoeuvre, clearing the path for more serious negotiations and safeguarding our Father/Son choice whilst protecting our first round next year.

More work going on behind the scenes to use that 22 pick is a virtual certainty as we now have options and leverage.

Already in one pick we see the difference between a genuine operator and a learner/driver.

Just so much more professional.
GW is the best administrative recruit we have brought to the club in a very long time.

I don’t think anyone “hates” it. If you read through I think everyone with half a mind for how this stuff works is hedging their bets on what we do with 22. For instance Apex36 has probably gone hardest, but my sense is if we flip 22 into a usable draft pick this ones a winner to him. Am I right?
It would have been better business to make an agreement to trade for 22 on draft night, given we’ll have to end up losing value trading back out and in for a useable pick, but yes, provided 22 isn’t eaten by a Daicos bid then it’s reasonable business.

I’m actually waiting for a shock announcement that the Hawks are trading Gunston to us for 22 and Lynch tbh.

You have to plan for the assumption that Daicos is Pick 1.
GCS only team that isn’t using its picks.
What other options?

I wouldn't say its a win or loss at the moment. It does make us much more flexible with what we can do and we don't have to do any desperate deals to get points late.

Flexibility we didn’t have before. We were coming from a position of disadvantage and now we are on an even playing field. That’s a win.

Doing something smart with pick 22 is the next challenge. I’d throw that out for lipinski with suitable 2022 picks coming back to us. After that we can offer chook feed for Kreuger or take him in the PSD.

The future picks we traded away aren’t going to revalue any worse next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back