List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

You honestly want us to throw big $ at him? His stats are average at best. I’d be livid if we offer him a big contract. I’ll happily stick with checkers who is a far better player on less $
It’s not what I want, but what is going to happen.

How do you know we would Overpay?
Unless the $600k figure being bandied around magically gets reduced by about 40%, then we’d be overpaying. The guy is essentially another Jesse White, I have no idea why people have such a hard on for him.

The jungle drums seem to be beating on mcstay.

Can't say I'm thrilled at the prospect (especially at the rumored price) but i think he and mihocek present as a good stop gap in trying to address the key forward issue. I think it's hard to develop a draftee without some decent guys to show the way/split the load, and there don't seem to be any viable big fish on the horizon.

My only other thought is what becomes our preferred forward mix? Mihocek, mcstay, kreuger, elliott, ginnivan, mcreery and a resting mid on rotation? Who second rucks, and does darcy cameron start to feel a bit redundant?

The jungle drums seem to be beating on mcstay.

Can't say I'm thrilled at the prospect (especially at the rumored price) but i think he and mihocek present as a good stop gap in trying to address the key forward issue. I think it's hard to develop a draftee without some decent guys to show the way/split the load, and there don't seem to be any viable big fish on the horizon.

My only other thought is what becomes our preferred forward mix? Mihocek, mcstay, kreuger, elliott, ginnivan, mcreery and a resting mid on rotation? Who second rucks, and does darcy cameron start to feel a bit redundant?
Atm it’s rumours etc, but if theres any truth the issue is he’s not a stop gap. Kreuger etc is. For some reason unbeknown to me he seems to be valued, and so will chase a big contract if he’s to leave. I hope north offer him money, because I’m happy with our current setup, and building through the draft. I’d also like to give kreuger and Johnson a chance. We aren’t in any hurry. Mcstay just is not that good.

Atm it’s rumours etc, but if theres any truth the issue is he’s not a stop gap. Kreuger etc is. For some reason unbeknown to me he seems to be valued, and so will chase a big contract if he’s to leave. I hope north offer him money, because I’m happy with our current setup, and building through the draft. I’d also like to give kreuger and Johnson a chance. We aren’t in any hurry. Mcstay just is not that good.
Wrighty knows the value of quality key forwards. No way he signs up to a +600k deal for Mcstay.

Perhaps I’m being harsh, and if he was to come to a club where he’d be treated as the focal point he could perform better. Not sure why any forward would come to us with our kicking, but that’s another issue.

We must trying to have a tilt with the current crew, which I don't mind to be honest, as I don't think we're that far away. We'll need to add another mid or two though as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We must trying to have a tilt with the current crew, which I don't mind to be honest, as I don't think we're that far away. We'll need to add another mid or two though as well.
THIS - we are far too focused on our tall forwards issue - our mids have come back to the field in recent years so now with Swannie retired and Pendlebury in the twilight of his career we need to look ahead and provide for the post Pendlebury era.

Can’t see what McStay will offer that Kreuger and Cameron don’t. Plus Henry for that matter. Just more of the same for mine and not even particularly young.

Happy to be proven wrong though, picking up quality players from other clubs is always a smart strategy. Just a matter of picking them correctly. He’s reasonably consistent which helps.

THIS - we are far too focused on our tall forwards issue - our mids have come back to the field in recent years so now with Swannie retired and Pendlebury in the twilight of his career we need to look ahead and provide for the post Pendlebury era.

Yep, best available. I’m still not convinced a key forward is a recipe to a premiership or at least not the only recipe.

Can’t see what McStay will offer that Kreuger and Cameron don’t. Plus Henry for that matter. Just more of the same for mine and not even particularly young.

Happy to be proven wrong though, picking up quality players from other clubs is always a smart strategy. Just a matter of picking them correctly. He’s reasonably consistent which helps.

Consistent and durable. I prefer Krueger because he has an energy and flair to his game but McStay get's on the park. I'm not sure that's enough of a reason to recruit him on the rumoured contract though.

I think he may appeal to McRae because he is so strong in the air. I don't think he turns that dominance into enough of his own scoring opportunities. However if you kick the ball into his area it will stay there and provide opportunities to our ground level players. And help us control field position. We've struggled with that at times this season.

Last edited:
It could be we intend to play McStay in defence at full back. The strategy could be to target McKay/Curnow in next years free agency period as a key forward. Spine sorted. I may be day dreaming.

Consistent and durable. I prefer Krueger because he has an energy and flair to his game but McStay get's on the park. I'm not sure that's enough of a reason to recruit him on the rumoured contract though.

I think he may appeal to Macrae because he is so strong in the air. I don't think he turns that dominance into enough of his own scoring opportunities. However if you kick the ball into his area it will stay there and provide opportunities to our ground level players. And help us control field position. We've struggled with that at times this season.
Absolutely, one of the great benefits of Chris Mayne was that he gets on the park every week. But is he any more consistent or durable or younger than Darcy Cameron?

(Edit I see you have suggested he play full back. Definitely room there with the need to replace Roughead madgen and Howe in future years... but does he have any pedigree in defence? It’s a big risk if he’s on a decent salary to recruit then reinvent his game).

A couple of things on the McStay rumour.

The $600k is about going rate to get a guy like that out because he’s a $400-500k player at Brisbane. That’s the industry in 2022. The kicker though is it’s over 5 years and I can only assume there’s salary cap changes afoot post the next TV rights deal. We’ve been caught with our pants down before, but with the salaries of Pendles, Howe and Steele off the books shortly paying a decent KPP market rate is not a huge concern. The question is whether he has 30+ goal seasons in him which I think is a yes in our system.

The added benefit of getting a guy like McStay is that it allows us to heavily invest in the other primary area of concern, the midfield. Adding a guy like McStay into our current mix and snagging say Tsatsis at year end is certainly an improvement on our current team that will likely finish 2022 with 10-12 wins.

A couple of things on the McStay rumour.

The $600k is about going rate to get a guy like that out because he’s a $400-500k player at Brisbane. That’s the industry in 2022. The kicker though is it’s over 5 years and I can only assume there’s salary cap changes afoot post the next TV rights deal. We’ve been caught with our pants down before, but with the salaries of Pendles, Howe and Steele off the books shortly paying a decent KPP market rate is not a huge concern. The question is whether he has 30+ goal seasons in him which I think is a yes in our system.

The added benefit of getting a guy like McStay is that it allows us to heavily invest in the other primary area of concern, the midfield. Adding a guy like McStay into our current mix and snagging say Tsatsis at year end is certainly an improvement on our current team that will likely finish 2022 with 10-12 wins.

I was a firm No but the more I think about it the more I warm to the idea. The thing that has come into my head that has caused a rethink is that he’s a best 22 key position player in a top 8 side so obviously we could use him.

If Kreuger stays fit and plays to potential then he’s up against Cameron in the second ruck role.

I’d be surprised if we’re luring McStay on the promise of playing him back.

You’re right on the salary cap though and really we shouldn’t be thumbing our nose at an established best 22 key position player.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back