List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My opinion has nothing to do with those people and more to do with watching McStay play for 8 years.
My opinion is based on having faith in people who know more about footy than you. Such as how he will help us become a better side.

This is a fun conversation. What does it have to do with McStay?

The point being that yes, you normally have to pay overs to get a FA, but no, you don’t have to pay it. You can get someone cheaper, opt out of FA altogether, or focus on getting maximum compo for your players entering FA.

No-one has a gun to our head to compel us to offer enough money to get him out of Brisbane.

The point being that yes, you normally have to pay overs to get a FA, but no, you don’t have to pay it. You can get someone cheaper, opt out of FA altogether, or focus on getting maximum compo for your players entering FA.

No-one has a gun to our head to compel us to offer enough money to get him out of Brisbane.
Seems like we want to do it.
I’m fine with that because I believe GW knows what he is doing.

Not sure what some people are so worried about. Why not just have faith in the guys paid to do the job?
Understand we have different people at the helm now but I think you can forgive people for not having faith in the football club on getting these things right. The track record ain’t great

Understand we have different people at the helm now but I think you can forgive people for not having faith in the football club on getting these things right. The track record ain’t great
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, no problem with that. I just hope people support him when he wears our jumper, rather than going on about his contract.

We’ll see!

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, no problem with that. I just hope people support him when he wears our jumper, rather than going on about his contract.

We’ll see!
If he performs like a $600,000 player I’m sure no one will mention a thing about his contract! And let’s hope he does because this one is clearly happening whether we like it or not

If he performs like a $600,000 player I’m sure no one will mention a thing about his contract! And let’s hope he does because this one is clearly happening whether we like it or not
What's. 600k form player play like? Steele, Maynard, Nick Daicos? What about John Noble?

If he plays well, and we put ourselves in contention for a flag. Who gives a shit. How many 150 gamers at his age without a serious injury can't play footy?

If we pick up Dan McStay on 5 years at 600k we are the laughing stock of the league. When did our trade and free agency team become so incompetent?
McStay is close to being dropped. Who else really wants him? Why are we giving him 5 years? Why not 5 years at 400k if he wants 5 years?
Seriously, Collingwood, this is an absolute disaster waiting to happen.
Even if we could be assured he would turn into a Liam Jones style rejuvenated defender, would we want to give him 5 years? Does our defence need that? We already have a lot of money tied up back there.

Oh, plus if we do have that coin, why not put it towards a massive offer for Curnow or McKay next year?

I remember thinking in 2020 trade period, there is no way we could be so stupid. Giving up Treloar for pretty much nothing, Stephenson for nothing, there is no way professionals could have the salary cap in such a mess.

The McStay recruitment is giving me the same vibes. There is no way we could be so stupid to pick up such a good ordinary player on such a hefty contract.

Who said it's $600k, the media?

The reports are in the vicinity of $600k, is $480K-$500K in the vicinity of $600k?

If he does come to Pies, l am waiting for Wrighty to say that the $600k figure is incorrect....

Paying a player key forward money to play down back does not, in fact, make sense unless we have some insight that he can be an elite intercepting defender.

It’s possible that the main attraction of our offer is a return to Victoria, and not actually the money, but if that’s the case why have other Vic clubs supposedly been told not to bother?

600k isn’t big dollars in todays AFL, it’s just big dollars for a forward that doesn’t kick more than 1 goal per game.

That isn't how it works. Stop making s**t up. There are two contracts in place which work together but with separate obligations on each club. Almost like a building contract and a builders side agreement (but different).

If Collingwood and Treloar agreed to vary their contract by paying up early, the payment would go into that year's TPP, Treloar gets more dollars up front and the WB contract carries on as is.
I did delete the thread but it might have been after you started typing. It wasn't deliberately making things up.

That isn't how it works. Stop making s**t up. There are two contracts in place which work together but with separate obligations on each club. Almost like a building contract and a builders side agreement (but different).

If Collingwood and Treloar agreed to vary their contract by paying up early, the payment would go into that year's TPP, Treloar gets more dollars up front and the WB contract carries on as is.

Haha, he deleted it before I could have a crack!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’ll see!

This is how I always see it. I support the jumper first and foremost and find it borderline repulsive when supporters target one of our own boys or make them the whipping boy for their frustrations.

If Dan becomes a Pie I'll back him to the hilt. But right now he's a Lion and I'll view him, and the rumoured contract, as such until he signs on the dotted line.

I just don't see it with McStay, obviously coaching and recruitment see something in him, i'm willing to trust them at the moment and hope my feelings are dead wrong, i'm getting a Mitch McGoven feel from him.

I think he really needs to think what he's getting himself into, if the reported amount and length of contract are true and he doen't perform, the media and CFC fans will eat him alive. Some thing he'll need to consider, but from the reports, he's just thinking about the money.

This is how I always see it. I support the jumper first and foremost and find it borderline repulsive when supporters target one of our own boys or make them the whipping boy for their frustrations.

If Dan becomes a Pie I'll back him to the hilt. But right now he's a Lion and I'll view him, and the rumoured contract, as such until he signs on the dotted line.
If you have a glass half full approach with players, you'll tend to get more enjoyment out of the game. I went through of phase of unfairly criticising WHE. In the end, he's turned out to have a much better year this year and seems to be having more fun and I'm not frustrated every time he touches the ball.

I just don't see it with McStay, obviously coaching and recruitment see something in him, i'm willing to trust them at the moment and hope my feelings are dead wrong, i'm getting a Mitch McGoven feel from him.

I think he really needs to think what he's getting himself into, if the reported amount and length of contract are true and he doen't perform, the media and CFC fans will eat him alive. Some thing he'll need to consider, but from the reports, he's just thinking about the money.
Not true.
He wants to come back closer to his family. Not his fault we offered the contract we did.. or reported so. And he has a good manager. Why wouldn't you capitalize on your last contract of your career?

Not true.
He wants to come back closer to his family. Not his fault we offered the contract we did.. or reported so. And he has a good manager. Why wouldn't you capitalize on your last contract of your career?
Sorry let me clarify, poor wording on my behalf, (from what i've read) the extra money was the deciding factor. I'm not faulting him for the contract we offered him, i would take it, but there's also extra baggage that comes with playing for CFC, he'll be under constant scrutiny from fans and media.

The de Goey situation makes things a lot murkier. If (I pray this doesn't happen) JDG leaves as an RFA and we get McStay as a FA, we will get net compo for our loss, which would be minimal.

So we would end up with an older, objectively far lesser player, plus a few hundred grand of cap relief and something like a 3rd round draft pick. That would be no bueno.

Based upon the 2021 figures:
$
2021​
$0-$60,000
1​
$60,001-$100,000
18​
$100,001-$200,000
133​
$200,001-$300,000
119​
$300,001-$400,000
117​
$400,001-$500,000
109​
$500,001-$600,000
68​
$600,001-$700,000
46​
$700,001-$800,000
24​
$800,001-$900,000
11​
$900,001-$1,000,000
3​
$1,000,001-$1,100,000
2​
$1,100,001-$1,200,000
1​
$1,200,001+
3​
TOTAL

Therefore if McStay was paid:
- $600K pa he would be in the top 14% or 90 players in the comp
- $500K pa he would be in the top 24% or 158 players in the comp
- $400K pa he would be in the top 41% or 267 players in the comp

If you believe in player rankings:
Has McStay ranked 231 (ahead of Mihocek?)
Has McStay ranked 247

Sorry let me clarify, poor wording on my behalf, (from what i've read) the extra money was the deciding factor. I'm not faulting him for the contract we offered him, i would take it, but there's also extra baggage that comes with playing for CFC, he'll be under constant scrutiny from fans and media.
For sure. But I would expect he would know coming to a big club like ours especially in melb, all that attention he'll have to adjust to.. no matter what he is getting paid.

Time will decide.

The offer could and should be withdrawn, contracts can not be signed until FA starts so we are not bound by anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back