List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I like the idea of trading for Brisbane’s first, I’m not sure our three third rounders alone is enough for them to secure Ashcroft alone. We’ll need to sweeten the offer of a Future pick as well- particularly when other clubs have better draft capital than what we do.
however, adding McStay compo might be enough to get them over the line.

otherwise they might as well trade their current first rounder to Melbourne for their F1.
I think trading our 3x3rds for their first is not going to happen and wishful thinking from collingwood supporters, what is more likely is trading for the compo Brisbane get for losing McStay (end of R1 or straight after their 2nd Round pick, so likely a pick 20 or pick say 30-38)

If DeGoey leaves, there is no way we can get McStay. That would be an effective trade one for the other. As much as I'd love to believe in the people paid to make the decisions, they do that and they need to lose their jobs.
I think it’s fairly obvious that if JDG leaves, we will match the offers to force a trade. Pick up McStay as a FA and demand a 1st round pick for Jordy.

Those who think we are picking up McStay to play down back are delusional.
Those who also believe in the "why don't we make a play for Mckay or Curnow"....do you honestly believe Carlton would ever do a trade for either of them to us? If the shoe was on the other foot we wouldn't do one either.
Lets be real for a moment and live in the real world not in fantasy.

Those who also believe in the "why don't we make a play for Mckay or Curnow"....do you honestly believe Carlton would ever do a trade for either of them to us? If the shoe was on the other foot we wouldn't do one either.
Spot on

I think it’s fairly obvious that if JDG leaves, we will match the offers to force a trade. Pick up McStay as a FA and demand a 1st round pick for Jordy.
If there is any truth to the Richmond rumours and Dusty goes to Sydney, wonder what Richmond would be prepared to give us if we force a trade for JDG.

I’m guessing Sydney would have to offer their current 2 first rounders (theirs and Melbourne’). maybe even a young mid as a sweetner- Stephens? (Is that overs for Dusty?)

Would leave Richmond with 4 picks inside 19/20.

Exactly. And Carlton are building towards being a very good side. They will want to be a part of that and take unders to stay. It will be the next level down players that will be forced out.

If we pick up Dan McStay on 5 years at 600k we are the laughing stock of the league. When did our trade and free agency team become so incompetent?
McStay is close to being dropped. Who else really wants him? Why are we giving him 5 years? Why not 5 years at 400k if he wants 5 years?
Seriously, Collingwood, this is an absolute disaster waiting to happen.
Even if we could be assured he would turn into a Liam Jones style rejuvenated defender, would we want to give him 5 years? Does our defence need that? We already have a lot of money tied up back there.

Oh, plus if we do have that coin, why not put it towards a massive offer for Curnow or McKay next year?

I remember thinking in 2020 trade period, there is no way we could be so stupid. Giving up Treloar for pretty much nothing, Stephenson for nothing, there is no way professionals could have the salary cap in such a mess.

The McStay recruitment is giving me the same vibes. There is no way we could be so stupid to pick up such a good ordinary player on such a hefty contract.
It worked so well with Wells and Mayne where overpaid with years/$$$. Why not McStay?

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

If there is any truth to the Richmond rumours and Dusty goes to Sydney, wonder what Richmond would be prepared to give us if we force a trade for JDG.

I’m guessing Sydney would have to offer their current 2 first rounders (theirs and Melbourne’). maybe even a young mid as a sweetner- Stephens? (Is that overs for Dusty?)

Interesting that Sammy McClure said for Dusty, it's not necessarily Sydney he would go to if he left Richmond. He suggested his move would be more so for a change of environment. Maybe football is getting monotonous and the passion is going, so any new club would reinvigorate his passion for the game....

That's way overs for Dusty, he's 32yo. A first round pick would get it done. I've no doubt Richmond will come for JDG as Dusty is as good as gone. Dusty also has GWS as an option. As for JDG, a first and second rounder would probably get that done, unless there is a player we like from Richmond

The more I think about it and the creative way Wrighty moves chess pieces in trade week, the more I think he has something up his sleeve that we're missing and that is somehow tied to the McStay offer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's way overs for Dusty, he's 32yo. A first round pick would get it done. I've no doubt Richmond will come for JDG as Dusty is as good as gone. Dusty also has GWS as an option. As for JDG, a first and second rounder would probably get that done, unless there is a player we like from Richmond
Thought it might be overs too. That and given that I don’t think Richmond will play hardball, a relatively fair deal will be accepted.

Interesting that Sammy McClure said for Dusty, it's not necessarily Sydney he would go to if he left Richmond. He suggested his move would be more so for a change of environment. Maybe football is getting monotonous and the passion is going, so any new club would reinvigorate his passion for the game....
NRL?

The more I think about it and the creative way Wrighty moves chess pieces in trade week, the more I think he has something up his sleeve that we're missing and that is somehow tied to the McStay offer.

I think Masked Magician may be on to something where we look to trade for the compo they receive for McStay. Some combo of our 3rd rounders for their compo pick helping them with Ashcroft points.

If our offer to McStay bumps up that pick we get the benefit of it all while front loading the contract so it isn't an ongoing burden in the cap. Imagine picking up McStay and an end of 1st round or 2nd rounder for our 3rds. We'd get a mature key position player and another early pick to add to our 1st rounder. It addresses an immediate need and contributes to our rebuild.

Here's hoping anyway.

Why wouldn’t Richmond look to facilitate a trade to Sydney for Dusty rather than try to screw the trade pooch? He’s just turned 31 and has given good service. Especially given the difficulties he had earlier this year.

You do realise these blokes have some handy experience prior coming to Collingwood?
Yeah I know.
But so have these people prior to coaching and being part of a footy club, Ken Hinkley, Nathan Buckley, David Noble, Ben Amarfio, Matthew Nicks, Leon Cameron, Stewart Dew, Mark Brayshaw....you get the idea.
It's not hard to work out that these guys do have good credentials but Fly has never been down at the Pies and Wright retired in 1998. A few things have changed since then.

What is the AFL salary cap 2022?

The six-year deal, which begins in 2017 and ends in 2022, means that the average player wage rises from $309,000 to $371,000 and the player salary cap from $10.37m to $12.45m. In 2022, the average player wage will be $389,000 with a salary cap of $13.54m.

So an extra 230000 per annum is a big amount??? and in two or more years
it will be under $200k differential . .Cheap I reckon

Kane said nearly all afl contracts automatically increase in line with the salary cap rising, certainly that’d be the case with long term deals so players don’t get screwed later.

Yeah I know.
But so have these people prior to coaching and being part of a footy club, Ken Hinkley, Nathan Buckley, David Noble, Ben Amarfio, Matthew Nicks, Leon Cameron, Stewart Dew, Mark Brayshaw....you get the idea.
It's not hard to work out that these guys do have good credentials but Fly has never been down at the Pies and Wright retired in 1998. A few things have changed since then.

McRae was a development coach at Collingwood under MM and Bucks.

Kane said nearly all afl contracts automatically increase in line with the salary cap rising, certainly that’d be the case with long term deals so players don’t get screwed later.

Nearly all? How exactly did he reach that conclusion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back