List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd let a veteran be traded to North should they offer us the right compensation. Hodgey went to Brisbane and really helped them out, almost winning a fifth flag. But if North are willing to part with an early second rounder, why wouldn't we trade it? It's mutually beneficial and we're not gutting our list to have a veteran leave.
As stated above, Norf don’t have a second rounder. But even if they did, they wouldn’t part with it. The point of acquisitions like Hodge, Mitchell etc are to pick up senior leaders cheaply that might not be valued as highly by their current club, or in Hodges case, forced in to retirement, who can be on field coaches while they retain their valuable picks to use on young talent in a rebuild.
Giving away an early second for that type of player and compromising your access to that young talent is completely counterintuitive to what recruiting those older players is meant to achieve.

As stated above, Norf don’t have a second rounder. But even if they did, they wouldn’t part with it. The point of acquisitions like Hodge, Mitchell etc are to pick up senior leaders cheaply that might not be valued as highly by their current club, or in Hodges case, forced in to retirement, who can be on field coaches while they retain their valuable picks to use on young talent in a rebuild.
Giving away an early second for that type of player and compromising your access to that young talent is completely counterintuitive to what recruiting those older players is meant to achieve.
Yeah true. Good point.

Just wanted come in here and say North don’t even have an early second round pick this year because they gave up it up as part of the CCJ deal. We should all take a moment and laugh at them for that 😂
It's like they've let an AFL Fantasy king run the club, thinking you can reverse trades after they occur and the team resets at the end of every season.

Three years ago, we were complaining that no one was coming to the pies, yet here we are with Taranto, Bobby Hill, Daniel Mcstay, Logue, fiorini and possibly more joining the club.

Grab those guy and we would be top 2 next year along with AJ, Dean & Krueger getting through injury free

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

When I read Hawks offering Amon 28 next year a five year deal for 650k a season, I thought McStay not that bad after all.

Unfortunately that’s what it takes to be a head of the pack and get them home!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Word is that Taranto has been offered only $450kpa by the Giants due to their massive cap squeeze (think Kelly, Wingfield, Coniglio etc.) so that $600-$650k 5 year deal could be used on him instead. Will turn 25 next year, has won a B&F in a GF year, can give Tay a huge hand as a big body in the middle (with Rusty and Pendles getting old and the kids still developing) and can play forward when needed.

Pains me to say it as I can't stand the hole we have in our key forward stocks, but I'd rather we get Taranto and look to other avenues over the next 24 months for key forwards.

Three years ago, we were complaining that no one was coming to the pies, yet here we are with Taranto, Bobby Hill, Daniel Mcstay, Logue, fiorini and possibly more joining the club.
They won't all come but McRae is making it a destination club. Young team, opportunities, good heads, big club, ANZAC and QB with 80,000+ fans guaranteed ... Collingwood is regaining fast. I think too many clubs want to have their inflection point last a long time before resurfacing. I'm cautiously optimistic this rebuild will ensure we don't dip too much and can contend next year and the year after. At worst, we'll end up 9-13ish. Which is much better than nearly every footy analyst said at the start of the year. Fiorini, Taranto and McStay would be HUGE INS. Fiorini and McStay are the ones I'm most excited about.

Word is that Taranto has been offered only $450kpa by the Giants due to their massive cap squeeze (think Kelly, Wingfield, Coniglio etc.) so that $600-$650k 5 year deal could be used on him instead. Will turn 25 next year, has won a B&F in a GF year, can give Tay a huge hand as a big body in the middle (with Rusty and Pendles getting old and the kids still developing) and can play forward when needed.

Pains me to say it as I can't stand the hole we have in our key forward stocks, but I'd rather we get Taranto and look to other avenues over the next 24 months for key forwards.
Freddie will be back and you never know, they could try another Mihocek out there.

In the rookies, I want us to take the best VFL player who isn't at a club - it just makes sense and it's a rookie pick. Do you want another Chugg or another mysterious pick?

Freddie will be back and you never know, they could try another Mihocek out there.

In the rookies, I want us to take the best VFL player who isn't at a club - it just makes sense and it's a rookie pick. Do you want another Chugg or another mysterious pick?
My preference is to use draft picks to secure the best KPF we can. Quality inside-mid via free agency. Develop our kids - McInnes hopefully plays AFL next year. Kreuger, Dean and Carmichael have big preseasons, secure spots and develop into solid AFL players.

Following year secure the best KPD we can. See how the youth are developing, to determine need that can be met through free agency.

Some of our talented players shall need to be replaced over the next three years.

Last edited:
My preference is to use draft picks to secure the best KPF we can. Inside mid via free agency. Develop our kids - McInnes hopefully plays AFL next year. Kreuger, Dean and Carmichael have big preseasons, secure spots and develop into AFL players.

Following year secure the best KPD we can. See how the youth are developing, to determine need that can be met through free agency.

Some of our talented players shall need to be replaced over the next three years.
Rookie drafts tend to be light on KPFs who are 18, hence the VFL's use. SANFL or VFL leading goal kicker or goal kicker who is good should be considered at the very least. Given Howe isn't too many years off retirement, someone with leap would be handy as well.

I think it makes sense for rookies to be players with elite/high level traits in certain areas but with deficits that have meant they were overlooked, but that the club thinks they can get up to a good enough standard. No point bringing in vanilla types who can do well at the next level down but will never be good enough to become a regular at AFL level.

Unless they’ve changed the rules the highest compo you can get is the pick straight after your normal first round selection. That’s why Hawthorn only got pick like pick 19 or something when Franklin moved to the Swans. So we won’t get a top 10 pick for JDG unless we have a horror finish to the season.

They changed the rules because of the Franklin compo. AFL now has more discretion to change compo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a good comparable given Riewoldt had multiple years on big money. And there is some argument that Lynch is a better player than Riewoldt at that stage of their careers.

Mihocek has been our best forward for 5 years while being played unders and now a potential new recruit is speculatively going to earn more than him on a long term deal despite being an inferior player. It's not right.

2022 is the first year Checkers has actually led the goals per game average at the club. DeGoey, Elliott, and Stevo all been ahead of him in previous years. Does that make him our best forward? Personally, I’d have him behind both Elliott and DeGoey in the rankings.

In terms of his contract, I’d be pretty confident your way more worried about it than Checkers ever would be.

Frawley to Hawks gave Melbourne a pretty good pick from memory.
The contract they gave him at the time awarded band 1, which everyone thought was too much for him given his calibre as a player, but that’s what losing a player on a $550k long term contract got clubs in compo back then.

The AFL has never stepped in and awarded a club a higher pick because their compo was inadequate, despite their ‘discretionary powers’.

Agree with you wholehearte
My preference is to use draft picks to secure the best KPF we can. Quality inside-mid via free agency. Develop our kids - McInnes hopefully plays AFL next year. Kreuger, Dean and Carmichael have big preseasons, secure spots and develop into solid AFL players.

Agree with this approach. Dont rate Taranto coz he butchers the ball. Want to stay well away from him. Hold on to our current and future draft picks and role the dice with youngsters. I love McInness and Carmichael, and they are likely to get plenty of game time next year. I would like to think we let at least 4 players go this year, turning over the list gradually. Hold on to the older players coz they are contributing.

It’s encouraging to hear this, but I’ll believe it when we actually do something end of the year.

I want Josh Dunkley more than Taranto, which would be ironic given he is Treloar’s best mate. Reckon he’s the perfect all-round midfielder to add to the mix

I still want James Harmes too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back