List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

None of the players linked to us gets me excited at all. All meh types. Good players but…..
Go to the draft get a good key forward and get mids else where, they are everywhere. Key positions are not as we know so well.
Who is the good KF in the draft that you want get? any KF would take 2 or 3 years before they even get a game, plus, they are all speculative. Logan McDonald is supposed to be a gun but he's been dropped and hasn't set the world on fire. Good mids are not everywhere, some teams have been looking for one for years. I think we add as much quality as we can in any position and both Hill and McStay add that

So by my adjusted count we have been linked in the media to McStay, Logue, Taranto, Bruhn, Hill and Fiorini.

That’s a lot. I can’t see us getting Taranto and Bruhn and to be honest I think I’d prefer Bruhn.

I’ll preface the below by saying I’m on the fence on McStay and I’d like to keep DeGoey.

But we could do most of this:

DeGoey nominates St Kilda. We match and do a trade of St Kilda’s first plus Highmore (no Logue therefore)

Sign McStay giving Brisbane end of round 1 comp - pick 19.

Trade our three thirds to Brisbane for pick 19.

Trade our first to GC for 26 and Fiorini.

19 and 26 to GWS for Bruhn and Hill.

Trade WHE to Nth for Pick 55. North get experience and leadership and WHE gets longer term.

We still have St Kilda’s first to take Cadman, pick 55 and all of our 2023 picks for future trading if we want to get back into this draft.

Out: DeGoey and WHE
In: McStay, Highmore, Bruhn, Hill, Fiorini and Cadman.

There’s been no looking at pick values etc so it’s easy to pick it apart so go for your lives!

Edit: if this was all to take place, particularly Bruhn and Fiorini, then I’d consider Poulter surplus and look to facilitate a trade for him also.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Is Wright and the club trying to do what he/they failed to do at Hawks when they tried to rebuild on the run and got Scully, Patton, Omeara etc ?

Basically built a very poor list, which then needed rebuilding. They went for a full rebuild last year and are now doing an about face and trying for another rebuild on run due to reaults under mitchell.
But imo they need to be careful of dead cat bounce factor. So many teams have improved year 1 of a new coach to only plummet the following season.

That’s a lot. I can’t see us getting Taranto and Bruhn and to be honest I think I’d prefer Bruhn.

I’ll preface the below by saying I’m on the fence on McStay and I’d like to keep DeGoey.

DeGoey nominates St Kilda. We match and do a trade of St Kilda’s first plus Highmore (no Logue therefore)

Trade WHE to Nth for Pick 55. North get experience and leadership and WHE gets longer term.

We still have St Kilda’s first to take Cadman, pick 55 and all of our 2023 picks for future trading if we want to get back into this draft.

There’s been no looking at pick values etc so it’s easy to pick it apart so go for your lives!

Edit: if this was all to take place, particularly Bruhn and Fiorini, then I’d consider Poulter surplus and look to facilitate a trade for him also.

I reckon this 3 thirds for a first idea is a bit of a furphy. On current ladder positions that trade is worth 130 points to Brisbane. Not enough, plus if they wanted to use all the thirds in the matching process they'd have to free up two more list spots.

WHE won't leave his childhood team and I think he offers more than Pick 55. Last week he won us the game, really, and has good pace on the wing. Players have to consent to trades and if I were him, I wouldn't do it.

It's a complicated plan that I doubt will work and if we had those INs, then that would be exceptional. Could be done but difficult. Another dilemma is the requirement to take at least three players at the national draft and for list longevity, two in the 60s or 70s is not a good idea. But as for the boldness, I rate it.

I'd focus on McStay, Highmore, Fiorini and Taranto as they offer more.

I want Josh Dunkley more than Taranto, which would be ironic given he is Treloar’s best mate. Reckon he’s the perfect all-round midfielder to add to the mix

I still want James Harmes too
Why? Harmes is inflated at Melbourne as they have a strong on-ball brigade and Dunkley will stay. We don't have the salt for Dunkley and I'm sure Treloar has put in a good-word about the club to all Doggies players leaving.

Why? Harmes is inflated at Melbourne as they have a strong on-ball brigade and Dunkley will stay. We don't have the salt for Dunkley and I'm sure Treloar has put in a good-word about the club to all Doggies players leaving.
Harmes is a bull, he doesn't need the others around him because he gets his own hard balls. As for Treloar bad mouthing us, well, that's suburban footy stuff. I'd take Harmes over an inflated, slow and over rated dunkley and he would be much cheaper

WHE won't leave his childhood team and I think he offers more than Pick 55. Last week he won us the game, really, and has good pace on the wing. Players have to consent to trades and if I were him, I wouldn't do it.

It's a complicated plan that I doubt will work and if we had those INs, then that would be exceptional. Could be done but difficult. Another dilemma is the requirement to take at least three players at the national draft and for list longevity, two in the 60s or 70s is not a good idea. But as for the boldness, I rate it.

I'd focus on McStay, Highmore, Fiorini and Taranto as they offer more.

Just to be clear that was my attempt at landing the players mentioned, not how I would approach it.

WHE is one that I think has value but we also need to keep replenishing the side so his role could be played next year by a Johnson or McInnes.

My preference would be to keep DeGoey,if McStay comes then fine, Highmore and if somehow possible and he nominated us Bruhn.

I’d stay away from Hill and target someone like Toby Bedford instead

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just to be clear that was my attempt at landing the players mentioned, not how I would approach it.

WHE is one that I think has value but we also need to keep replenishing the side so his role could be played next year by a Johnson or McInnes.

My preference would be to keep DeGoey,if McStay comes then fine, Highmore and if somehow possible and he nominated us Bruhn.

I’d stay away from Hill and target someone like Toby Bedford instead

Thanks for the clarification. Think Collingwood will be an active player this trade period regardless of JDG's departure.

Is Wright and the club trying to do what he/they failed to do at Hawks when they tried to rebuild on the run and got Scully, Patton, Omeara etc ?

Basically built a very poor list, which then needed rebuilding. They went for a full rebuild last year and are now doing an about face and trying for another rebuild on run due to reaults under mitchell.
But imo they need to be careful of dead cat bounce factor. So many teams have improved year 1 of a new coach to only plummet the following season.
Us rebuilding was always a bit of a furphy. We kept our experienced core, except Treloar and cut the bejesus out of the fringes to fix the cap, leaving us with no depth. We've had a good number of kids kick on and a good run with injuries, replacing the fringes and not requiring much depth, thus returning us to where we were pre-salary cap debacle - a really competitive team with a chance of contending.

The kicker is we'd need to trade De Goey to make it work. I'd be loath to do it unless the relationship was irreparable. This may be a good way to leverage his loss if he were to leave.

The kicker is we'd need to trade De Goey to make it work. I'd be loath to do it unless the relationship was irreparable. This may be a good way to leverage his loss if he were to leave.

Yep I agree. As I stated my preference would be to keep DeGoey.

If he was to leave, we’d need to be able to match and force the trade now in order to get full benefit. A pick in the 2-10 range would have been reasonable return. The fact we’re likely to finish higher and the pick will be in the 10-15 range means we’d have to match.

JDG was just starting to find his feet and becoming very dangerous pre bye in a tweaked role under a completely different game plan and coaching team.
No way am I looking to move him on unless he himself wants out.
We needed standout individual performances under Buck’s post 2018 game plan because we couldn’t kick a winning score otherwise. We were also relying on Pendles, Adams, Sidebottom way too much.
That’s changed completely under the new regime. Hope he stays.

Who is the good KF in the draft that you want get? any KF would take 2 or 3 years before they even get a game, plus, they are all speculative. Logan McDonald is supposed to be a gun but he's been dropped and hasn't set the world on fire. Good mids are not everywhere, some teams have been looking for one for years. I think we add as much quality as we can in any position and both Hill and McStay add that
So what’s your solution not go for a key and continue how we’ve been going with average players that try hard? Of course it’s going to take time to develop a key forward, duh!! The longer we don’t take one the longer it will be.
I don’t know who they’ll get, I’m not a recruiter watching the NAB league but I know there are some as I’ve heard the chat.

No he's not. De Goey has a higher offensive impact. He is a rarer player type.
Ohhh right. My bad. Remind me how many goals he's had? 12. Not blistering for a forward-midfielder.
If De Goey leaves we lose our only X-factor mid and we suddenly look very one-paced. Taranto’s decent, but he’s no Jordy.

Needs to be re-signed ASAP.
You can find x-factor across many players. What if we targeted a player with x-factor? What if we encouraged others to dare and have x-factor? X-factor can be signed, too, at a lower price. Taranto is better than JDG. He was a number two pick - he can't have that little x-factor.

Ohhh right. My bad. Remind me how many goals he's had? 12. Not blistering for a forward-midfielder.

You can find x-factor across many players. What if we targeted a player with x-factor? What if we encouraged others to dare and have x-factor? X-factor can be signed, too, at a lower price. Taranto is better than JDG. He was a number two pick - he can't have that little x-factor.

Why didn't I think of that, simply target X-factor players...do the dees plan on trading Petracca anytime soon?

Taranto is slow, and a poor kick. Have you wondered why Jamie has been playing in the middle this year? Let me give you a hint, because outside of him and Jordy our mids are also slow and can't break lines.

Thank christ you're not our list manager.

If De Goey leaves we lose our only X-factor mid and we suddenly look very one-paced. Taranto’s decent, but he’s no Jordy.

Needs to be re-signed ASAP.

Agree, a fit and committed DeGoey is a match winner. Would hate to see him go to a Geelong, and make them even better, as l think he would.
I think the club would want him to stay, and if he was to leave, would only be if he was looking for a fresh start, and change of environment.

You seem to have looked at quality.

We certainly need three decent players a year through draft, trade and youth development. Five in one year via trade/FA is certainly aggressive, but may limit opportunities for the developing youth.

Next year we effectively get Grundy and Kreuger in. Chance Dean, McInnes and Carmichael become regular AFL players.

Last edited:

Offensive output is more than the goals that are kicked though 12 is a damn good return for a midfielder switching forward from the centre clearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back