List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding is that he will be a restricted free agent. If he accepts an offer from another club, we have the right to match that offer. Should we match, he can then elect to enter the draft if he chooses to leave the club and becomes a player we have lost to free agency which is then factored into any compensation we received at the end of the free agency period (i.e. net gain/loss)

I don't tend to get into the weeds regarding the rules and application of same to free agents, but that's my understanding of the situation based on a basic explanation offered by the AFL - Free Agency - AFL.com.au
He is nowhere near being an RFA. The choices are simple - player and club agree to a contract, club player and other club agree to a trade/contract, or player doesn't agree to a deal with current club and nominates for the draft as a delisted free agent.

My understanding is that he will be a restricted free agent. If he accepts an offer from another club, we have the right to match that offer. Should we match, he can then elect to enter the draft if he chooses to leave the club and becomes a player we have lost to free agency which is then factored into any compensation we received at the end of the free agency period (i.e. net gain/loss)

I don't tend to get into the weeds regarding the rules and application of same to free agents, but that's my understanding of the situation based on a basic explanation offered by the AFL - Free Agency - AFL.com.au
Nah, "Restricted free agents are players who come out of contract after their eighth or ninth season at the one club"
Thus DeGoey, Moore were RFA's this year.
Henry who has only been with the club for 2 years is not close to qualifying as an RFA
Hope this helps: https://www.aflplayers.com.au/app/uploads/2020/12/AFL_FREE_AGENCY_EXPLAINED_2019.pdf

Last edited:

Henry is not a free agent of any kind.

He has 3 options.

- Re-sign with us

- Request trade that is negotiated successfully

- No trade is worked out and he refuses to sign with us, nominates for National draft or Pre Season Draft where he can be taken by any club. We receive no compo (Luke Ball scenario)

He is nowhere near being an RFA. The choices are simple - player and club agree to a contract, club player and other club agree to a trade/contract, or player doesn't agree to a deal with current club and nominates for the draft as a delisted free agent.
Can he be a DFA if he had a contract in front of him?
Thought he would just enter the draft.

Nah, "Restricted free agents are players who are in the top 25 per cent of their club's earners and come out of contract after their eighth or ninth season at the club" Thus DeGoey, Moore were RFA's this year.
Henry who has only been with the club for 2 years is not close to qualifying as an RFA
Hope this helps: https://www.aflplayers.com.au/app/uploads/2020/12/AFL_FREE_AGENCY_EXPLAINED_2019.pdf
Thanks for clarifying.

I don't understand how a player can become a delisted free agent when the club has offered them a contract and thereby has indicated their intention to keep the player (as opposed to delisting them). Without being able to trade a player without the player's consent, clubs are held to ransom.

Thanks for clarifying.

I don't understand how a player can become a delisted free agent when the club has offered them a contract and thereby has indicated their intention to keep the player (as opposed to delisting them). Without being able to trade a player without the player's consent, clubs are held to ransom.
He cannot become a DFA if offered a contract.
Henry would then be forced into the draft where any team could select him.

Last edited:

Henry is a second year player, he's not a free agent in the slightest.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Will Brodie 2.0

Weird s**t goes on at the Suns.
…And don’t forget Jarryd Lyons. What a head scratcher that was.

Re Fiorini; looks like he’s our new target cos we’ve cooled on Titch (because of the $$$ - reported via Zerohanger). Could only see us going for him if Goo walks.
Mitchell and Fiorini would be the additional extras in the trade period and I'm fans of both, particularly if Mitchell costs a third round pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So essentially the options for Henry are:

1. Accept an offer from the club
2. Reject / fail to agree an offer with the club - enter the pre-season draft and take his chances

Irrespective of terminology, he can walk from his contract and will land at the first club to pick him in the draft. In this instance, we receive no compensation whatsoever.

Assuming the above to be correct, it's in our interest to entertain trade scenarios with a number of interested clubs, thereby increasing the risk to those clubs who may want him of us sending him to the draft, which theoretically should net us a better deal in the end.

What a convoluted and inequitable system.

Will be absolutely staggered if Henry wants out, seems a kid of high character.

If playing time is an issue, A fight for your spot, and B someone get in his ear and remind him how old Checkers and Elliott are, and how young he is.

If a bit more $ is what he is after, based on potential only, then I guess we have to revisit what kind of character he is.

Hopefully sanity prevails but you have to wonder who is advising him.

Will be absolutely staggered if Henry wants out, seems a kid of high character.

If playing time is an issue, A fight for your spot, and B someone get in his ear and remind him how old Checkers and Elliott are, and how young he is.

If a bit more $ is what he is after, based on potential only, then I guess we have to revisit what kind of character he is.

Hopefully sanity prevails but you have to wonder who is advising him.
Agree, if he reckons he's worth $600k, then frame a contract with the base that we're offering and performance incentives based on the player that he reckons he will become. Happy for him to be paid $600k if he earns it, and only if he earns it.

Agree, if he reckons he's worth $600k, then frame a contract with the base that we're offering and performance incentives based on the player that he reckons he will become. Happy for him to be paid $600k if he earns it, and only if he earns it.
Only trouble is the max amount has to be provisioned for in the cap........he doesn't even deserve triggers for $600k at this point. I want to keep him but hopefully common sense will prevail

Dont want him to go too well! If he comes out and kicks 6 Brissy will want to re-sign him

It was reported back in June that he knocked back a 5 year offer from the Lions so that's not a concern. He's a lock.

I've finally made my peace with it after months of moaning about the length and size of the contract. I think. Maybe.

Go Dan!

I know someone who is friends with Fiorini's parents. There were rumours of Collingwood looking at him mid-way through the year and I asked him if he had any intel.

He said he loves it up on the GC and plans to live there life after football and would prefer to stay with GC. But there is some interest from Melbourne clubs and he's not against moving to Vic for more game time and moving back to GC life after football.

Pretty poor deal for us.

For Parish you got to deal with the Dodo Bird. Would be tough o get a deal done.
A First and van Rooyen is a great deal for us, too bad its overs and we wont get paid nearly as much

definitely not ideal - Dayne beams second time around is probably a better comparison.
This is a joke right? Beams second time around was a complete farce, Degoey as he is right now, is better than Beams was when he decided he wanted to come back

Disregarding what remains on Fiorini's contract for 2023, offering him up a similar deal to what Lipinski is on would make a lot of sense to me, provided we actually see him as someone that can be best 22 (ala Lipinski).

I think the Suns problem is that they're so desperate to succeed that they put Touk Miller in the middle so often (and I'm talking 80% CBA often, AA winger for **** sake...) and neglect to really have a solid rotation system through the three mids. You can't tell me that outside of Touk Miller and Noah Anderson he wouldn't be somewhere within their 3rd to 9th best mid.

That said, let's also keep in mind that the Suns are losing Rankine and thus they don't need to shed salary like they did when they traded out Brodie and 2MP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back