List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

St Kilda getting Macrae for a pick in the 50's is crazy. I wish we could have swung that. Guessing there are some salary cap complications that forced it.

Don't need anymore 30+ midfielders mate, on decent money he was just to be sub most of the time, good move by them getting him off their books

St Kilda getting Macrae for a pick in the 50's is crazy. I wish we could have swung that. Guessing there are some salary cap complications that forced it.
Nah. He's a short term move and we're stacked for mids in the short term. In a year, a short term midfield move like him or Parker might be the go. It's good to see that that sort of thing continues to be available - as it might be necessary. The mid term moves of Houston and Perryman were perfect for us.

It is why I wouldn't like pies to go full rebuild.
Never go full rebuild...

scalia GIF

Carlton had a golden chance to secure Houston …. and declined as they instead went back to the draft.

It was so un-Carlton-like and yet a decision that will only extend their premiership window years into the future.

I find this bizarre. Carlton have picks 3, 38, 63, 68, 69, 72. So pick 3 & 38 is extending their premiership window years? No pressure kids.
They’ll be looking in through the window from the outside for years into the future while watching us walk through the front door with a couple more premierships is how I understood that.

I have a sneaking suspicion that a part of the reason they got such exceptional deals for Rioli and Balta is that they’re paying a chunk of their salaries. And if so, kudos to them.
The best explanation I've heard thus far as to why a Rioli goes for Pick 6 and Bolton for 10,11. No way is it reflective of the players worth. It's a dowry.

Is paying cash for picks now a legit draft strategy? It feels different to the salary dump deals of recent years - Grundy, Bowes etc

Nah. He's a short term move and we're stacked for mids in the short term. In a year, a short term midfield move like him or Parker might be the go. It's good to see that that sort of thing continues to be available - as it might be necessary. The mid term moves of Houston and Perryman were perfect for us.

I'm not complaining about Houston or Perryman. They're great business.

But no doubt we lacked a lot on ball this year particularly grunt to compliment what we have. Macrae is a perfect fit there, though I freely admit I don't have my head around the salary stuff so bear that in mind.

It probably won't matter with Mitchell returning. He'll be like a new recruit and fills the role anyway, assuming his body holds up. He's usually pretty durable, this season an anomally.

If we are a chance of another flag next season at the expense of what could be a long time at the bottom in the next few seasons (according to the media), I’m taking the chance of a flag!

With that said, I don’t buy into the doom and gloom of 2-3 years away. We have some really good players in the age bracket below the ‘oldies’, anothrr one who had the second most Brownlow votes in a season all time, 100k plus members who love the place etc.
I’d be shocked if we couldn’t recruit established players who wouldn’t want to come to the club.
Why are people buying into the media bullshit about us falling off a cliff? We have a lot of talent on our list even when our ageing stars retire and no doubt have contingency plans for 2026 with players we will target when our war chest is overflowing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry if this has been discussed or answered already but I can't be f'ed looking through 1650 pages :eek:

Membrey, Hayes, Tomlinson... what's the status of our interest in them? Window closed or are they DFAs (or whatever other abbreviations) that can be picked up outside the trade period?

Sorry if this has been discussed or answered already but I can't be f'ed looking through 1650 pages :eek:

Membrey, Hayes, Tomlinson... what's the status of our interest in them? Window closed or are they DFAs (or whatever other abbreviations) that can be picked up outside the trade period?
Will be DFA's, but Leppa indicated that we'd likely just choose ONE of them. They have a meeting tomorrow to decide which way they're gonna go

Will be DFA's, but Leppa indicated that we'd likely just choose ONE of them. They have a meeting tomorrow to decide which way they're gonna go
Thanks Jen. That's probably the question I couldn't quite hear from Leppa's interview..

I thought he was talking about our rookie and out of contract players and whether any of them might be delisted

Thanks Jen. That's probably the question I couldn't quite hear from Leppa's interview..

I thought he was talking about our rookie and out of contract players and whether any of them might be delisted
On St Kilda forward Tim Membrey

“It’s a possibility, we’re talking with Tim now.

“We’re going to take him through a medical and those sorts of things.

“But we do have a spot for some experience on our list and he’s in the conversation for that.”

On Melbourne defender Adam Tomlinson

“He’s in that mix because we want some experience in that final (list) position.

“We’ll meet on that tomorrow and make some decisions with which way we want to go on that.”

"A" Spot.
"FINAL list position"

All 3 can be picked up as DFA's, yep.
The first 2 have definitely had medicals at the club - maybe all 3 by now.
List spots are tight though, so it's not clear yet how many we could offer deals.
(Sorry, Jen beat me too it).

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back