List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Dave no need to worry.

When you are in the window you go all out to win premierships. Thats the name of the game - flags. No point to be in this constant cycle of finishing mid ladder and feeling good about adding younger talent through the draft and never being quite good enough.

Carlton for all their 1st round draft picks - what have they got to show for it? Absolutely sweet FA. Richmond a going in for years of pain after the let their best 3 experienced players go.

Win now.

in 2026, and 2027 there will be free agents we can tap into to fill gaps and begin to add some talent through the draft.

Go PIES
Yep you bet, Leppa mentioned it there, target the 22-27 year age bracket as they will be around for a while, and replace the retirees. And I bet next year that is exactly what they do.

Cal Twomey said 14 of 21 traded this year were contracted, however because you can go two years into the future next year, anyone who wants to move clubs will be able to move much easier, so expect big moves next year, and us to be involved.

And our best 22 is marginally improved by Perryman and significantly improved by Houston
I think Perryman makes more than marginal difference. He's an addition not a replacement, so has scope to make a real impact should he perform.

Having given IQ midfield time late this season, we've got some real flexibility. Perryman has played quite a bit of midfield and Houston can also play there. Two extra experienced players to throw into the midfield when needed is a big improvement for mine, given who we played through there this year.

I'd lay down heavy odds against all of IQ, Perryman, Houston playing in defence together for full games. I think it's likely Crisp will be back there given his pace and run and a strong chance that Perryman is mainly mid if he impresses there over the off season.

Whatever positions they play we have made two major running additions and this will improve our team significantly and give us extra cover for injuries.

Last edited:
I’d be looking to raid Richmond in 2-3 years.
Richmond fboy, Jon Ralph, comparing Richmond's and other club's trade strategy to ours in the HUN today got me thinking that Richmond did us a huge favour.

Basically we went all in for the now (2025 premiership) in a draft year that has been described as a "Superdraft".

But by virtue of one club (Richmond) having 1/3 of the top 25 draft picks, it makes it, by all intents and purposes, as much of a "compromised" draft as any of the previous GWS and Gold Coast entry drafts.

And ultimately players picked up in those types of drafts can end up anywhere within 2-3 years.

The other thing that surprisingly I've seen a few in the media mention is...what if all these players become guns?

How are they gonna keep them all? How are they going to manage their cap?

I'm shocked they haven't used some of those picks to steal a couple of gun experienced players to help the transition
If they do all become guns, it won't be all clicking at the same time. They'll be in a position to front load the early guns to create salary cap for the later ones. Plus if the salary cap gets tight, they'll be in GWS position where they just keep bringing in more and more talent as a result of big trade hauls.

I'm a bit surprised that we didn't keep Bytel ahead of one of these guys who all look to be primarily mids.

The way I see it, our best 22 is going to have a stack of players who can roll through the midfield and are better options than these guys. So we're more likely to need flanker depth than centre square depth and I think we're short on flanker depth.
I think we do still need inside mid depth, especially given Mtichell's age and injuries and De Goey often missing games. Houston, IQ, Crisp are all flank options. Perryman possibly not, but his ability to play half back and mid can free up others.

Thought it originally derived from rugby when making a place kick - set the ball with the laces out. Then it should spin end over end.
200.gif

I guess what people forget is we’ve been here before and worse and for longer when GWS and GC entered the competition. Now 13/14 years on from these compromised drafts, we’re essentially at retirement age for these draftees and who has won flags since? Not GC who’s made a grand total of zero finals nor GWS.

Even if you discount Hawthorn’s 3 peat as too close to these drafts to be affected then after that you’ve got the Dogs who only picked up Bont, Macrae and Stringer as first round picks from their premiership team in the 6 drafts prior to their flag year, then Richmond who built their flag team all on the edges of these drafts, through top up and let’s be honest without Dusty they would have landed none of them (plus ironically Richmond picked up Lynch and Prestia from GC’s first draft), WC who similarly had three first rounders in the same time period and two of them mid teens. Then Melbourne who nailed one draft to get their flag winning weapons with Trac and Brayshaw then Olivier, Geelong who we know didn’t go the rebuild strategy and us.

I mean even if going full draft GC/GWS/Richmond style was a valid way to build a flag winning team - which so far it hasn’t been - this shows there are many other ways to get there, so I wouldn’t be so concerned about Tassie. It’s a false threat.
Very good point. If anything the Suns and Giants have helped other teams improve by their players wanting out. We've benefited from the Giants (Adams, Hill, WHE) and the Blues brought in a heap of mediocre players from them. Tigers helped to extra flags thanks to Lynch.

One team getting extra picks isn't going to make a big difference to the draft. The academy picks are a much bigger concern.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they do all become guns, it won't be all clicking at the same time. They'll be in a position to front load the early guns to create salary cap for the later ones. Plus if the salary cap gets tight, they'll be in GWS position where they just keep bringing in more and more talent as a result of big trade hauls.

How to avoid this terrible scenario of lots of really really good players at your club?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Gary Lyon on sen this morning said he didn’t know who perryman and peatling were before this trade period, is not the kinda gotcha moment he thinks it is. For a self proclaimed footy expert to not know players that are being chased by multiple clubs undermines whatever credibility he may have had.

Who does Perryman displace from our current best 22, if everyone's fit and firing?

Lipinski, WHE, McCreery? All seem valuable role players.

Sidey, Pendles, Howe, Elliott or Mitchell? Not if our veteran brigade stays fit.

Is he just a versatile, talented depth option for now?

I love his acquisition, don't get me wrong, but is he best 22 from day one?

Yes.

Gary Lyon on sen this morning said he didn’t know who perryman and peatling were before this trade period, is not the kinda gotcha moment he thinks it is. For a self proclaimed footy expert to not know players that are being chased by multiple clubs undermines whatever credibility he may have had.
It’s impossible to undermine zero.
Lyon is, and has always been, a fraud.

I think he only watches Melbourne games.

I think we do still need inside mid depth, especially given Mtichell's age and injuries and De Goey often missing games. Houston, IQ, Crisp are all flank options. Perryman possibly not, but his ability to play half back and mid can free up others.

My view of it, is that our primary inside mid depth will be in the team already.with Crisp, Nick, JDG, Titch, Perryman, Pendles, Sidey, if we get a mid injury, one of them who has been playing on a flank switches to mid - leaving a flank open for the depth guy to play in.

I'd prefer to have the nqr guy out on a wing than in the centre square.

So I'd only keep that many depth mids if I thought they were a good chance of being senior players and tbh, I don't.

It’s just Gary someone, don’t worry

In what other "profession" can you proudly boast to not possess basic knowledge relevant to your role and keep your job? Maybe politician (where some voters see this as a plus)?

So many former players that seem to do almost no work to understand the game they commentate on, just coasting on knowledge from their playing days.

He also thinks everything is hunky dory at his club. Hasn’t got a clue about anything

In what other "profession" can you proudly boast to not possess basic knowledge relevant to your role and keep your job? Maybe politician (where some voters see this as a plus)?

So many former players that seem to do almost no work to understand the game they commentate on, just coasting on knowledge from their playing days.
out of date knowledge

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back