List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm suggesting the player may choose to stay if the matching results in him getting a million or two more over the course of the contract by staying with his club, which could be a possibility if the poaching club was offering that much in overs to get him as a freeby rather than through trade, and thus drops the contract offer for a trade situation.
It doesn’t happen because the retaining club doesn’t see the value at that level. You also don’t actually think anyone is going to offer the same money to LDU as North will? They’ll make him the highest paid player in the game if he stays. If he leaves it’s for less money and success so matching with the aim of retaining is a ridiculous proposition on him.

It doesn’t happen because the retaining club doesn’t see the value at that level. You also don’t actually think anyone is going to offer the same money to LDU as North will? They’ll make him the highest paid player in the game if he stays. If he leaves it’s for less money and success so matching with the aim of retaining is a ridiculous proposition on him.
Agree with LDU. I was talking in general though. But like Pleasedontfail11 pointed out, it'd be most likely to play out behind closed doors without it getting to the official request stage.

I hate to say it, but in terms of LDU, the realistic club who is good but need a top shelf mid and thus will be willing to pay a shit load is the Cats. And I reckon they'd have the cap space. Their current list wouldn't be that expensive.
Rumour is they’re targeting Butters.

Unless they’re trading out JUH next year I can’t see them having the cap space to match a free agency offer. The dogs are going to be an interesting off field watch next year, especially given their historically up and down seasons under Beveridge.
They are hard to read on how much cap they have.

They shed a lot of cap:
Smith 500-600K
Daniel 700K (according to reports)
Macrae 700K (according to reports)

But maybe they needed to do that to pay:
English
Naughton
JUH (recently signed to 2026)

Who have signed recent contracts on big coin.

But then they have Richards, Bont, Darcy and JUH coming out of contract at the end of 2025 and 2026. So they may have set a lot aside for those contracts.

IF Port did the worst Trade ever does that mean we did the Best Trade Ever Then?
For the Pies, the Houston trade was more perfect storm than perfect trade: it ended up being a Bradbury - :
  • Melbourne couldn't complete the trade because, well, they're Melbourne
  • Doggies couldn't complete the trade because they do all their work in the trade period in the last 30 seconds and this was way too complicated for them to pull off in the last minute
  • Cats couldn't complete the trade because they were all in on Smith and needed to keep some reserve for a potential Oliver trade
  • Hawkes were way too busy with Barass
  • Richmond wanted picks not players
  • Essendoom were in a trade period coma (not sure they've awoken yet!)
  • St Kilda didn't want to trade their prized Picks
  • North aren't a destination club and weren't prepared to offer anything more than what the Pies did
  • Carlol, whilst Houston's preferred club, were never in it - they simply don't have the Cap

To cap all this off, Port targeting Richards and Gold Coast targeting Noble meant we had the leverage and the capital to complete the deal.

Kudos to Leppitsch and the recruitment team for getting the deal done. Amongst all the back slapping, best to not ignore the amount of luck involved in this trade.

For the Pies, the Houston trade was more perfect storm than perfect trade: it ended up being a Bradbury - :
  • Melbourne couldn't complete the trade because, well, they're Melbourne
  • Doggies couldn't complete the trade because they do all their work in the trade period in the last 30 seconds and this was way too complicated for them to pull off in the last minute
  • Cats couldn't complete the trade because they were all in on Smith and needed to keep some reserve for a potential Oliver trade
  • Hawkes were way too busy with Barass
  • Richmond wanted picks not players
  • Essendoom were in a trade period coma (not sure they've awoken yet!)
  • St Kilda didn't want to trade their prized Picks
  • North aren't a destination club and weren't prepared to offer anything more than what the Pies did
  • Carlol, whilst Houston's preferred club, were never in it - they simply don't have the Cap

To cap all this off, Port targeting Richards and Gold Coast targeting Noble meant we had the leverage and the capital to complete the deal.

Kudos to Leppitsch and the recruitment team for getting the deal done. Amongst all the back slapping, best to not ignore the amount of luck involved in this trade.
Then throw in the Lukosius situation meaning Gold Coast wanted it too and thus kept that pick for this deal.

I wouldn’t mind having a crack at SDK next year to pair up with Moore down back, but I doubt he leaves

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Not so sure, he's had two under-whelming years and it looks like the Cats are targeting him as their primary ruck option. If that doesn't work out, then I can see an opportunity for us to step in.

They shed a lot of cap:
Smith 500-600K

English
Naughton

But then they have Richards, Bont, Darcy and JUH coming out of contract at the end of 2025 and 2026. So they may have set a lot aside for those contracts.
They did well to get pick 25 in this draft for Caleb. Might be paying some salary? Although North wouldn't need them to. I didn't understand that deal. I thought he'd be a freeby.

They did well to get pick 25 in this draft for Caleb. Might be paying some salary? Although North wouldn't need them to. I didn't understand that deal
Yeah pick 25 confuses me too, unless they are playing 200K of his deal. He is almost 29 and played alot of games as the sub this year. I thought he would be a dump but pick 25 says otherwise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah pick 25 confuses me too, unless they are playing 200K of his deal. He is almost 29 and played alot of games as the sub this year. I thought he would be a dump but pick 25 says otherwise.
I suppose there may have been more demand than we're imagining. Kickers coming out of defence is becoming more important.

Thanks for Dan Port.

They shed a lot of cap:
Smith 500-600K

English
Naughton

Agree, although I’d wipe Smith as shed cap given he was OOC and they would have been planning around him leaving for a good 18 months.

I think we should still make a grandfather offer for Ed Richards (not LDU) though. WB will find it hard to match given the stars they have on the list. And if they do end up matching, hopefully it shakes out JUH in 2026
EFA
1f50ce3d9ed0e7db2c46d6a827487878

Ed Richards, and Cam Rayner. They're the two that I'd be optimistic could be shaken loose.

Brisbane just went to $1m+ per year for McCluggage to keep him, they've got an expensive team currently and they need to ensure they can afford both Ashcrofts going forward, I wonder if they can afford Rayner on big money. I get the retirement of Daniher and the impending retirement of Neale will save them a lot, but there's still only so many guys you can pay big money to.
Don't start me on Cam 'flipping' Rayner. He is good for 5 mins in a game. Not fit enough for the midfield. Seriously overrated for his output, despite obvious talent. Please no.

Ed Richards, and Cam Rayner. They're the two that I'd be optimistic could be shaken loose.

Brisbane just went to $1m+ per year for McCluggage to keep him, they've got an expensive team currently and they need to ensure they can afford both Ashcrofts going forward, I wonder if they can afford Rayner on big money. I get the retirement of Daniher and the impending retirement of Neale will save them a lot, but there's still only so many guys you can pay big money to.
Ed Richards would be perfect next to Naicos

Seems like a fair and balanced decision tbh

I do concede you were right about the restricted free agency rules, they can walk if they don't wanna stay.

Still stand by zero chance Collingwood get LDU as we won't have the trade assets for him and its a fantasy to expect we are in the chase for him, even more so now we just traded a 2025 first.

They did well to get pick 25 in this draft for Caleb. Might be paying some salary? Although North wouldn't need them to. I didn't understand that deal. I thought he'd be a freeby.
Sam Power. He’s the non campaigner version of what Mackie does.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back