Oppo Camp Other Clubs News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Gees hope Rory atkins doesn’t read the welcome thread on the port board, quality melts.
The whipping boy to end all whipping boys. He's the stuff dreams are made of to be honest. Played for the hated cross-town rival, shipped off to irrelevance for a few years, and now joins PA as an overpaid plodder.

Although it would be utterly hilarious if they had another Tambling level draft with all these picks like they did that year.
A lot of it will also come down to development and culture. Without the experienced players and the standards in training, a lot of the high upside talents may fail to develop. Also very hard to give enough opportunities to such a large cohort of draftees coming through all at once unless you're happy to lose by 80+ points most games.

Let’s not get carried away with the trade description here, that’s two firsts for a first round pick upgrade, 3rd rounder and Bolton.

It’s still a terrible deal, no need to make it sound worse than it already is!
It's now or never for Freo - very good mids. Good talls. Needed some talent around them.

I think they're stockpiling more than they need so they get their later picks in a decent range.
If the clubs at the top end bid early by playing a tactical game, they can force all those picks to be used up. Thereby shifting all their lower picks up. St kilda , Adelaide are notorious bidders. Saints actually have multiple picks in the early third round, so if they can bid early on f/s and academy picks, their 3rd picks will shift up significantly, as will ours.

I can feel a repeat of Richmond's super draft of the past when they picked up the worst 5 first round players in history.
What an exceptional draft!

They could have had:
  • Buddy Franklin
  • Jarryd Roughead
  • Angus Monfries
  • Nathan Van Berlo
  • Mark LeCras

Instead...
  • Deledio (a good player)
  • Tambling (lol)
  • Meyer (lol)
  • Pattison
  • Polo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can feel a repeat of Richmond's super draft of the past when they picked up the worst 5 first round players in history.

Here's the superdraft of 2001

About a dozen champions, but they were spread out at all stages of the draft. As well as the stars, there were misses or meh players all the way through. Anyone who thinks there's a sure thing at pick 10 because it's a strong draft is kidding themselves.

From Port's prison bars thread:

"Is the Houston gift this year's payment to Collingwood?"

"This is not the time for jokes mf."

#SACKHINKLEY
██████████

change.org/takebackpa

Gold!

Here's the superdraft of 2001

About a dozen champions, but they were spread out at all stages of the draft. As well as the stars, there were misses or meh players all the way through. Anyone who thinks there's a sure thing at pick 10 is kidding themselves.

That draft set them back 20 years

That draft set them back 20 years
I was talking the 2001 superdraft as a comparison to expectations this year and pointing out that even in a superdraft - there's not sure things.

Some seem to think that a top 10 pick is an automatic gateway to a Steele Sidebottom level player - it's just rubbish - even in the great draft years.

AFL Chief and Board making phone calls to teams trading with Richmond to bend over it seems.

Richmond resurgence is an AFL mission perhaps

We look at their draft hand and think "this is an incredible haul," even if they trade out or live-trade picks into next year's draft.

We will laugh at how shit Richmond might be for the short-term... but a small part of me is worried for Richmond. They've had two genuine best 22-players retire in Martin and Grimes. They've got an aging Nankervis. They're losing two of their best players in Rioli and Bolton. They're losing Baker and also Graham.

Don't get me wrong, they've still got some good talent. Nankervis is a good ruck, they've still got Vlastuin, Broad, Balta and others. They may see more footy in 2025 from Lynch, Taranto, Prestia, Gibcus, etc. but their short-term future is very worrying.

A construction business would be reluctant to put 8 first-year apprentices on their books all at once. These young guys need to be learning from good players around them. Some of these lads will be thrust into playing AFL before they're ready because their draft haul is essentially going to be nearly a quarter of their list.

Worse for the AFL is that Richmond are going to cop half a dozen Sunday 1:10pm MCG games that bring in 30k crowds.

Not to mention 100+ point losses and the unfairness that it brings to teams getting them twice.

We look at their draft hand and think "this is an incredible haul," even if they trade out or live-trade picks into next year's draft.

We will laugh at how shit Richmond might be for the short-term... but a small part of me is worried for Richmond. They've had two genuine best 22-players retire in Martin and Grimes. They've got an aging Nankervis. They're losing two of their best players in Rioli and Bolton. They're losing Baker and also Graham.

Don't get me wrong, they've still got some good talent. Nankervis is a good ruck, they've still got Vlastuin, Broad, Balta and others. They may see more footy in 2025 from Lynch, Taranto, Prestia, Gibcus, etc. but their short-term future is very worrying.

A construction business would be reluctant to put 8 first-year apprentices on their books all at once. These young guys need to be learning from good players around them. Some of these lads will be thrust into playing AFL before they're ready because their draft haul is essentially going to be nearly a quarter of their list.

Worse for the AFL is that Richmond are going to cop half a dozen Sunday 1:10pm MCG games that bring in 30k crowds.

Not to mention 100+ point losses and the unfairness that it brings to teams getting them twice.

It's going to be a long road back to relevance.

Realistically, they'd be hoping to end up with a couple of stars and a couple of good players to start their rebuild around.

If they're lucky and it works, they're back in the running in about 2030.

Poor Yze is stuffed. It will take him 4 years to win the 14 games that you need to win in one year to make finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Other Clubs News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back