List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton are like Melbourne and the Dogs, to focused on contested ball with no outside run. The game has changed to a transition game with fast ball movement out of the defensive half, which Hawthorn demonstrated in th back half of the year.

I agree, Carlton are more likely to regress given they have don't nothing to address that. Cripps and Walsh are beasts, but slow and terrible disposal. Cerra injured, Hewitt slow, they have too many of the same player which is why Kennedy left.

The healthiest good teams make top 8.

Health is so critical for AFL teams.

Carlton could make a 8 easily if they remain healthy. A couple of good teams usually suffer injuries that derail their campaign.

Pies was one of the teams that, if not the main team, that lost premiership players for months and had to experiment with players out of their natural slots. And just missed out on the 8 due to the wasted draw games and a shocking July losing 3 in a row.

Great trade period for us - hard to imagine how it could have gone better. We got the best player on offer (by far) and another Best 23 player, from a very modest hand of draft picks. Now we just need Derek Hine to rediscover his best talent ID form and pluck a couple of diamonds in the rough for us on Draft night.

Hopefully our rejigged footy department and panel of assistant coaches works more cohesively and effectively in 2025 than it did this season, too. I'm particularly excited about the return of Matthew Boyd.

Injuries permitting, we're definitely going to have a Premiership-worthy squad next season, which is about all we can ask for as supporters. We have a lot more to look forward to now in 2025 than seemed to be the case just a few weeks ago.

Bring on the pre-season training reports!

How the **** do Richmond manage to pay 95% of the salary cap? They haven't even got any players that you'd have on long term contracts that you could front load. I think Balta is the only one.

They could be paying some of their departing players salaries given the ridiculous deals they got for Rioli for example

They could be paying some of their departing players salaries given the ridiculous deals they got for Rioli for example
Yes, I think that's highly likely. And smart too. No point overpaying youngsters from the get-go - that just creates huge problems down the line when their contracts come up for renewal. Much better to use surplus cash to effectively buy a set of great draft picks this year.

I don’t think that BigFooty has caught up yet, but these days clubs are likely to view cap space as a more valuable commodity than draft picks.
Richmond losing so many players had the ability to pay a chunk of salary to their outgoing players for better picks, and for clubs who’s caps are tight (always the ones who are in a window) that’s absolute gold.
Cap space is more valuable than draft picks, um, no. There won't be any clubs foregoing a Jagga Smith type for their preferred option of cap space, no, no, a thousand time no. BF won't need to catch up on something that will never happen.

COLLINGWOOD

Who left:
Joe Richards, John Noble

Who arrived: Harry Perryman, Dan Houston

Draft picks owned: 52, 55, 58

David King says: “I love this, I think when you add weapons to your club you can really make inroads. They’re stacked for experience and at the top of the tree … Dan Houston is the best ball in hand player in the competition in the back half of the ground. I think he’ll play a different role with Collingwood and play with more freedom — the Nick Daicos type role across half back — you don’t know where he’s playing. I think you’ll see Craig McRae use this magnet more than Ken Hinkley did. I love it, I think they’re right back there again. They’re bouncing immediately back into premiership contention.”

Leigh Montagna says: “They were already chips in to win another flag by keeping the nine guys who are going to be 32 years of age and older next year. They’ve just added some quality, we know how good Dan Houston is and Harry Perryman will fill some roles with the loss of John Noble. They’re back in the window and back in the mix, they’ll obviously need everything to go right with durability with some of these older players. But you trust Craig McRae to get the right mix with the players he’s got and maximising his stars – the five or six really high-end talent to carry this team next year to another top four berth … there is a big black hole of under 24s, but Collingwood fans will worry about that down the track, they’re worried about trying to win another flag.“

I'm not complaining about Houston or Perryman. They're great business.

But no doubt we lacked a lot on ball this year particularly grunt to compliment what we have. Macrae is a perfect fit there, though I freely admit I don't have my head around the salary stuff so bear that in mind.

It probably won't matter with Mitchell returning. He'll be like a new recruit and fills the role anyway, assuming his body holds up. He's usually pretty durable, this season an anomally.

Allan looks like he’s ready to step up
Perrynan has allegedly been penned for a lot more midfield time
De Goey should hopefully be in better shape
Beau might be ready to take the step into the midfield

I reckon we should be ok

They had a chance to open a premiership window, but instead chose to reduce the likelihood of opening a spoon window in 7 years time.
Speaking of spoon windows. Richmond have all, but locked in a North Melbourne period of ineptitude by trading out their three best players. In response the media are all “erhmagerd the best draft hand since the expansion” and at last look that bounty of draft picks has delivered 0 premierships.

The saving grace for them is that their hand was forced, but to be lauding them and declaring them a “winner” of the trade period is ridiculous. In 3 years time this off season for them will be viewed in a similar vein to Melbourne shipping out their veterans in the early 2010’s and North later that decade. Serious question who are they beating in 2025? They’ll be deathbed Fitzroy bad for at least the next two seasons and that’s if they don’t have Taranto crack the shits and demand a trade.

He needs to stay in his lean on that stuff.

One other point that’s doing my head in is the love for Carlton. The narrative is “yeah they’ve invested a lot, but they’ll get a gun mid” no the draft doesn’t work like that. They’ve invested roughly twice as much into drafting Finn O’Sullivan as we did into trading in Houston. They’ve made twice the investment into a guy that’s long odds of ever having an AA season and if he does it probably won’t be until Houston has retired and been replaced by a gun FA.

I’m not one to rain on the parade of other clubs, but they’ve got average depth, no quality small forwards (I like Fogarty, but he’s a Jarryd Blair clone), a shaky defence and no cap room if they want to retain TDK. Despite all that they’ve extended their premiership window according to Ralphy…
Lack of knowledge on draft talent is also a blind spot in assessing how clubs fared during the trade period. Having McGuane in the 30s feeds into selling the future narrative.

No doubt we would have done the trade anyway, but McGuane shaping as early first round may mean we have both.

On the Carlton, trading up to 3 reminded me of their trading up to get Stocker in the late teens, which didn’t work out. Clearly they have someone in mind, likely O’Sullivan, but there’s a chance someone may jump them. I was surprised to see them trade Owies as they don’t have much small forward depth. Reckon the plan is to play Williams forward.

No club is going to downplay their trade or declare it plan b, however I suspect Carlton would have traded for Houston above pick 3 had he nominated them. Without the other players involved and the blues having more picks it’s more likely the price would have been two first rounds possibly with something coming back. All speculation though.

Cap space is more valuable than draft picks, um, no. There won't be any clubs foregoing a Jagga Smith type for their preferred option of cap space, no, no, a thousand time no. BF won't need to catch up on something that will never happen.

Both cap space and draft picks are used to recruit players - they're recruiting capital. Like with any currency one isn't more valuable than the other, but they do have a value relative to each other - and that value varies for different clubs depending on their position and strategy.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speaking of spoon windows. Richmond have all, but locked in a North Melbourne period of ineptitude by trading out their three best players. In response the media are all “erhmagerd the best draft hand since the expansion” and at last look that bounty of draft picks has delivered 0 premierships.

The saving grace for them is that their hand was forced, but to be lauding them and declaring them a “winner” of the trade period is ridiculous. In 3 years time this off season for them will be viewed in a similar vein to Melbourne shipping out their veterans in the early 2010’s and North later that decade. Serious question who are they beating in 2025? They’ll be deathbed Fitzroy bad for at least the next two seasons and that’s if they don’t have Taranto crack the shits and demand a trade.

Yeah, they're stuffed for a bit.

However, I think they'll switch to mature recruits pretty quickly if they get a couple who shine early from this batch of kids.

The reason we are taking heat is because the Carlton nuffies like Maher and Edmund, know their team is not up to it, and we had the balls to go chips in. Carlton has huge salary cap issues, signing TDK next year will be a double edged sword.

He will command massive dollars, $1.2M I would guess, which then puts them out of business to trade next year without giving up Curnow or McKay.

Conversely, we retire a few next year and we have enough space to bring in LDU, Trac, or anyone else we can get, be it via a trade for Trac, or a FA.

As for Ralph, I don't mind him, his team won 3 flags, the dynasty is done and now he has to accept 10 years of North Melbourne like misery.

Geelong has been doing what we have been doing for a decade and saluted twice and missed out on an easy flag this year as well. But when we do it, it is a massive story, just to get clicks.

The bolded is a good point. Salary cap is the only reason I can think why they wouldn't have locked in Houston rather than going with a kid for the future.

The reason we are taking heat is because the Carlton nuffies like Maher and Edmund, know their team is not up to it, and we had the balls to go chips in. Carlton has huge salary cap issues, signing TDK next year will be a double edged sword.

He will command massive dollars, $1.2M I would guess, which then puts them out of business to trade next year without giving up Curnow or McKay.

Conversely, we retire a few next year and we have enough space to bring in LDU, Trac, or anyone else we can get, be it via a trade for Trac, or a FA.

As for Ralph, I don't mind him, his team won 3 flags, the dynasty is done and now he has to accept 10 years of North Melbourne like misery.

Geelong has been doing what we have been doing for a decade and saluted twice and missed out on an easy flag this year as well. But when we do it, it is a massive story, just to get clicks.

Fantastic Post.

Teams like Swans/Cats been doing what we done for Decade or so and they never have Dropped Completely off

Just Easy Work for Jurno's to Bash Collingwood

Why are people buying into the media bullshit about us falling off a cliff? We have a lot of talent on our list even when our ageing stars retire and no doubt have contingency plans for 2026 with players we will target when our war chest is overflowing.
Agree.
Should be looking at 4 year cycles.
Adding Pick 13 or Picks 19, 22 and 36 are less likely to contribute to a flag in the next three years.
We were a free kick or a 50m penalty away from playing finals in 2024 and beat the premiers twice. We should be going all in for a flag in 2025.

Did Carlton effectively trade all of this year's first, next year's first and next year's second for pick 3? Seems a strange move in a Draft that's deep but lacking the clear stand-outs that we've seen in the past such as Harley Reid, Horne-Francis and Nick Daicos.

This seems to be a Draft where pick 13, or pick 23 could turn out to be just as good as pick 3.

Strange, too, to give away two very solid players in Kennedy and Owies.

Last edited:

The other thing that surprisingly I've seen a few in the media mention is...what if all these players become guns?

How are they gonna keep them all? How are they going to manage their cap?

I'm shocked they haven't used some of those picks to steal a couple of gun experienced players to help the transition

Jakob Ryan is one that I was absolutely baffled by last year. Played well enough in the reserves to earn a senior debut late in 2023, and was accordingly awarded Best First Year player, and then last year, looked worse than pretty much all of our VFL listed defenders.

I don't know how he went so far backwards, or if his form is recoverable, but it would be a serious shame if he just never pulled out of that tailspin and was useless from here on out, particularly given that he signed a two year contract extension in July of 2023, so he's contracted until 2026.

If he doesn't show more in 2025 than he did in 2024, these last two years of his contract are going to be wild to get through.
Forgot he was on the list tbh! But people were saying similar things about Joe Richards a year ago.

Ryan has some competition from the likes of Jiath and DeMattio so he’s up against it , but things can change quickly in a year

St Kilda getting Macrae for a pick in the 50's is crazy. I wish we could have swung that. Guessing there are some salary cap complications that forced it.
and play with his Half-Brother

But I doubt we had Salary Cap Room after getting Perryman and Houston

If we didn't do that trade for Schulz last year, we could have had Perryman and Houston and Bailey Smith and Shultz.

Or had Perryman, Shultz, Houston and be taking pick 10 in the super draft.
In my crystal ball’s alternative reality for 2024, we won the flag and Schultz was the match winner.

Your absurd hypotheticals are vacuous and entirely improbable.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back