List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Did Carlton effectively trade all of this year's first, next year's first and next year's second for pick 3? Seems a strange move in a Draft that's deep but lacking the clear stand-outs that we've seen in the past such as Harley Reid, Horne-Francis and Nick Daicos.

This seems to be a Draft where pick 13, or pick 23 could turn out to be just as good as pick 3.

Strange, too, to give away two very solid players in Kennedy and Owies.
They got a f2 back in as one of thei swaps although it’s linked to the reigning premiers

The NET of all their deals (excluding kennedy) seems to be

owies 12, 34 and a future 1 for…,,

3 and a few picks in the 60s !!!

And they get 38 in for Kennedy

I understand young Harry DeMattia didn't exactly set the world on fire in his first year on the list, but it's important to acknowledge that we DID in fact get something in return for not trading last year's pick, and that's almost entirely ignored.

If Harry actually has a huge pre-season, gets some continuity, and becomes a decent AFL player, all the crying and moaning about the Schultz deal will die down.

Seems a bit unfair to leave him out of calculations entirely, and to write that off as a wasted effort already.
Agree with the sentiment of this post, but we could have taken Logan Morris with the HDM selection. Pretty clear the guy could play and was more of a need than another half back flanker (or two incl Jiath or 3 incl Ryan the year prior) (for which we've just picked up the best of them in this trade period).

Last edited:
So now that trade week is all done and dusted, I would like to make one observation.
All year I have read posters talking about how we gave our future first for shoota and now we have no trade capital and blah blah blah blah blah.
And here we are. End of trade period and we have The Perryman and the most prized trade target, Houston.
Have some more faith in your club guys. We've played off in more than 40 grand finals.
Our club knows what it is doing.
Does look better now after the Trade Period BUT we still paid too much for Schultz

They got a f2 back in as one of thei swaps although it’s linked to the reigning premiers

The NET of all their deals (excluding kennedy) seems to be

owies 12, 34 and a future 1 for…,,

3 and a few picks in the 60s !!!

And they get 38 in for Kennedy
IN: Pick 3, Pick 38, Pick 63, Pick 68, Brisbane Future 2nd
OUT: Owies, Kennedy, Pick 12, Pick 34, Future 1st, Future 2nd

That's a lot of experience and scoring they've lost.

Last edited:
Yeah, they're stuffed for a bit.

However, I think they'll switch to mature recruits pretty quickly if they get a couple who shine early from this batch of kids.
I assume that’s the plan as well because they’ve essentially wiped out their ability to spend 95% of the cap without paying guys to play elsewhere for the next few years. The problem is that outcome is all based on a best case scenario. Take WC they’ve had 3 years of torture, they didn’t cut anywhere near this deep and are still likely to be a further year or two in the bottom 4 (even after adding maturity this year). The problems I have are:

It assumes enough of the 8 will come on in a three year window to reverse their fortunes and start investing in mature types. That in itself is unlikely because it tends to take closer to 5 years when the heavy lifting is left to the 18-21 yo group (that’s if it doesn’t wear them out).

It then relies on the remaining players not getting over the bleakness of things. Take LDU who’s played in what 15 wins across a 120 game career would anyone be shocked if he’s had enough next year? Then you have to start again.

Lastly the hand is good without being great and is reliant on the quality of the draft overall to do the heavy lifting. For instance 3 top 10 picks isn’t that unusual we saw it in 2020 (Essendon), 2019 (Fremantle) and 2018 (GC) with one finals win to show since. A 4th at 11 makes it better than those draft hands, but each of the other teams were coming off significantly better bases.

If I were a Richmond fan I’d be keen as mustard to have them move at least the last 2 picks into 2025 because both will give them access to future 1sts.

Cap space is more valuable than draft picks, um, no. There won't be any clubs foregoing a Jagga Smith type for their preferred option of cap space, no, no, a thousand time no. BF won't need to catch up on something that will never happen.
Nice hissy fit. You’re still wrong though.

So now that trade week is all done and dusted, I would like to make one observation.
All year I have read posters talking about how we gave our future first for shoota and now we have no trade capital and blah blah blah blah blah.
And here we are. End of trade period and we have The Perryman and the most prized trade target, Houston.
Have some more faith in your club guys. We've played off in more than 40 grand finals.
Our club knows what it is doing.
The Prez did say earlier in the year (during H&A season) that we would be looking to find a way back into this year’s draft (and did elude toward being active at trade period). I think overall we had a very good trade period given the pieces (equity) we didn’t really have to acquire what we did. Even factoring in one was a FA. We made something out of nothing. Puts us back in the window too. Hopefully a better run vs injuries and close to a full list next year gives us another finals campaign and a strong tilt for 17 🏆

No but according to Ralphy, trading out five picks to get one pick puts them back in premiership contention.

Collingwood getting an elite 2 time AA HB, not premiership contention
Perryman is a Good Player but I would not call him Elite

Agree with the sentiment of this post, but we could have taken Logan Morris with the HDM selection. Pretty clear the guy could play and was more of a need than another half back flanker (or two incl Jiath or 3 incl Ryan the year prior) (for which we've just picked up the best of them in this trade period).
We all wanted Logan Morris but he's always had the turning circle of the Queen Mary and lacked pace and athleticism. Watch him closely. We'll see how he goes without Daniher there. He's got great hands but will he be a 200 game player, I'm not so sure.

Why don’t you go back and do this for the past 20 years? What fun. And none of that is true. You have no idea what could happen.

I’m sure next season you will be saying “if we didn’t sign perryman we could have got x”
I've been on the record to say the Schultz trade in isolation was a bad trade (thanks GW!). But this trade period more than made up for it (thanks Leppa!).

If we had our first rounder this year, we definitely would've had to trade out the 2x firsts for Houston given the price paid for Rioli, Bolton, Baker. In the end, without the Schultz trade last year, we maybe walk away with an extra second rounder after this trade period (ie F2 for Mcguane). Where the Schultz trade would've hurt us was if Port ultimately decided to keep Houston as we didn't have enough trade capital for him.

Who knew we could turn a F1, Noble, Richards and a slide back of 6-8 picks from our original highest pick this year will land us someone as elite as Houston.

We all wanted Logan McDonald but he's always had the turning circle of the Queen Mary and lacked pace and athleticism. Watch him closely. We'll see how he goes without Daniher there. He's got great hands but will he be a 200 game player, I'm not so sure.
You mean Morris, I assume. Yeah I don't see where the improvement is going to come. Mobility and game like a huge bloke - without the size. Checkers without the recovery, and thus second efforts and a ground level game, if you ask me.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m with the journos to a large degree.

Yes they’re laying it on thick, but the 2025 version of Collingwood is better than the 2023 version from a playing list perspective. With a “softer” draw, an extended off season break and a healthier list we should be expecting at least a 16+ win season in 2025. From there two finals wins should again be the minimum. In other words they’re right to acknowledge the quality of our additions and suggest we’re chips in on a premiership. That’s the reality of our list build.

Where they’ve completely lost me, and why I’m quoting you, is that we’re no different to Geelong who’ve been loading up in this manner for years. We need one or two of Allan, HDM and Parker to come on (ala Humphries, Dempsey and Henry) plus McGuane not doing a Camporeale twins by dropping right down the draft order will help, but objectively Perryman should be an upgrade on 2024 Pendles and Houston a significant upgrade on Noble. Both upgrades (whilst having access to returning fit players and our experience) will hold us in good stead, IMO.
Only thing is, I don’t think we ever get a favourable draw no matter where we finish. Other clubs/AFL love us = $$$

You mean Morris, I assume. Yeah I don't see where the improvement is going to come. Mobility and game like a huge bloke - without the size. Checkers without the recovery, second efforts or a ground level game, if you ask me.
He's been in the system for one year and has actually looked good but here you're telling us he's reached his ceiling. What in the actual fk.

He's been in the system for one year and has actually looked good but here you're telling us he's reached his ceiling. What in the actual fk.

He's shown he can be a role player. I'm questioning if he'll be able to play a central role in their forward line and I have my doubts.

I wouldn't have thought so.
One of their greatest ever players has retired, and a number of their experienced players have deserted the sinking ship.
It's doubtful they have enough experienced players to help so many draftees.
Balta has signed for the long haul, knowing it will be a tough few years - respect.
I wonder if they will trade some of those picks into next year and trade in some experienced players with them.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back