List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

We all wanted Logan Morris but he's always had the turning circle of the Queen Mary and lacked pace and athleticism. Watch him closely. We'll see how he goes without Daniher there. He's got great hands but will he be a 200 game player, I'm not so sure.
Think he has to bulk up a fair bit, given he is small for a KPF and doesn't have the vertical game of someone like Membrey to counter it.

Hawthorn paid a solid price for Barrass - a very good defender
Collingwood paid a good price for Houston - an elite player, and better in his position relative to Barrass

Both sides signed free agents on near identical contracts. Both are above average players in their position but not particularly elite. Both have been recruited to play multiple roles. Their B&F finishes are fairly comparable throughout their careers.

Hawthorn makes the winners list. Collingwood don't.

???
It was odd, and obviously biased, that Dan Houston is a winner, but not Collingwood.
Dan will have a huge impact on our ball movement.
Perryman is far better than a fringe player, and will improve, given he was behind other players in GWS's on-ball brigade.

Agree with the sentiment of this post, but we could have taken Logan Morris with the HDM selection. Pretty clear the guy could play and was more of a need than another half back flanker (or two incl Jiath or 3 incl Ryan the year prior) (for which we've just picked up the best of them in this trade period).
You will get absolutely no arguments from me on this point, particularly with the reporting after the fact in a "behind the scenes at the draft" situation, it was clear that if Logan Morris or Archer Reid had made it to pick #33 we had a trade in place to secure one of them, and they came off the board at #31 and #32.

If you liked a KP prospect enough that you were willing to trade up from #39 to #33 to get him, you liked him enough to just take him at #25, and hope that whatever flanker you were targeting was still on the board at #33.

He's shown he can be a role player. I'm questioning if he'll be able to play a central role in their forward line and I have my doubts.
He's undersized so central KPF role might be a stretch but you've put a limit on him after one year.

Also McStay....

So now that trade week is all done and dusted, I would like to make one observation.
All year I have read posters talking about how we gave our future first for shoota and now we have no trade capital and blah blah blah blah blah.
And here we are. End of trade period and we have The Perryman and the most prized trade target, Houston.
Have some more faith in your club guys. We've played off in more than 40 grand finals.
Our club knows what it is doing.
100% agree, but the observation I’d make is that the posters who felt that way are attached to the current players to a point where they can’t fathom using them as assets to our advantage.

We only got the Houston deal done because of the sheer luck that Noble and Richards were leaving to clubs that could be entwined because of the Lukocious move. That won’t happen every year, but it’s healthy to lose a contracted player against your will so long as they aren’t a fabric player.

The media bias just follows on from commenting games ,From assessing results and now to trade weeks . We shouldn’t expect much else
Apart from Twomey gabelich and Beveridge , the rest can’t seem to get past their obvious allegiances and allow themselves to virtually barrack and present lopsided views with hope rather than facts
Tall poppy syndrome is alive and well in Footy media

Last edited:
Only thing is, I don’t think we ever get a favourable draw no matter where we finish. Other clubs/AFL love us = $$$
The exact reason I used the “”. You can lock in Essendon, Carlton and possibly Melbourne (our bottom 6 double up) twice next year. Brisbane is a lock and probably Port as well after the Houston trade. All that’s left is one or two in the 6-12 range depending on how long the season is because we won’t get any of WC, Richmond or North twice.

Melbourne listed as a winner in that article and we aren’t

Our list is much better than Melbourne’s and we added Perryman for nothing, and Houston for our future first, pick 36 and two depth players

Melbourne also don’t have a future first (I repeat, with a worse list) and will be dreaming of taking a player as good as Houston with one of their top picks.

Make it make sense
The media and commentators are fixated on draft picks and the promise/hope of the future.

I'd argue it's not the worst trade period for Melbourne, as they didn't lose Petracca, Oliver, Pickett or Viney, however they're planning for a future that's no certainty to arrive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The healthiest good teams make top 8.

Health is so critical for AFL teams.

Carlton could make a 8 easily if they remain healthy. A couple of good teams usually suffer injuries that derail their campaign.

Pies was one of the teams that, if not the main team, that lost premiership players for months and had to experiment with players out of their natural slots. And just missed out on the 8 due to the wasted draw games and a shocking July losing 3 in a row.
Depth, Health and a Good Coach makes the eight. Lucky for us Carlton only did not have any of those and next year they will be relying on health. If 1 of Cripps Curnow or Waitering go down then curtains for the year

Lack of knowledge on draft talent is also a blind spot in assessing how clubs fared during the trade period. Having McGuane in the 30s feeds into selling the future narrative.

No doubt we would have done the trade anyway, but McGuane shaping as early first round may mean we have both.

On the Carlton, trading up to 3 reminded me of their trading up to get Stocker in the late teens, which didn’t work out. Clearly they have someone in mind, likely O’Sullivan, but there’s a chance someone may jump them. I was surprised to see them trade Owies as they don’t have much small forward depth. Reckon the plan is to play Williams forward.

No club is going to downplay their trade or declare it plan b, however I suspect Carlton would have traded for Houston above pick 3 had he nominated them. Without the other players involved and the blues having more picks it’s more likely the price would have been two first rounds possibly with something coming back. All speculation though.
Blues are crippled by salary cap as we were in the last few years
In the end they couldn’t afford Houston and had to go to the draft

Depth, Health and a Good Coach makes the eight. Lucky for us Carlton only did not have any of those and next year they will be relying on health. If 1 of Cripps Curnow or Waitering go down then curtains for the year
Yeah, particularly Curnow.

If he's not in the lineup, the defenders can sag off their men and defend Carlton's attacks easier.
But when Curnow is on, he is draws a lot of attention and defenders panic creating holes in the defense which really helps Carlton.

It's baffling anyone could think we didn't win the trade period with what we had to offer.

Hawks did very well.

Tigers did well they also gave up a heap.

Pies really didn't lose much.

SEN caller yesterday

I'm just not sure what Collingwood are doing blah blah blah.

Dwayne ohh so your a Collingwood supporter.

Umm no, I'm not 😂

You could tell straight away he wasn't a Collingwood supporter.

Guess thinking isn't his strong suit

friends-joey-tribbiani.gif[.img]

Jimmy gets it..

Not sure how we didn't "win" the trade period

Added the best player in the trade period
Added a more than handy 25 year old utility
Gave up a Future 1st which would have been chewed up by a McGuane bid anyway
Moved only a little bit down the draft board

We objectively improved our list in a real way without really hurting our draft position much

Allan looks like he’s ready to step up
Perrynan has allegedly been penned for a lot more midfield time
De Goey should hopefully be in better shape
Beau might be ready to take the step into the midfield

I reckon we should be ok
Josh daicos although not an inside mid will be freed up to spend more time on the wing after the arrival of Houston. Lipinski Pendlebury and Sidey might all have cameos in the middle.

Least of our problems and Macrae is not the player we needed. We are struggling with the one we’ve got!

I can't believe I/we keep coming back for more of this shit every year. I promised myself last year that I would ignore the first week of trade period and totally flunked.

Next year......🤦‍♂️
If we win the flag next year, there won't be as long to wait.
End of August to mid-October is too long to kick around all the trade/draft permutations.
Maybe take up crocheting instead.

2024 Draft and Trade Period Key Dates​

Oct 4 to Oct 11: Free agency window
Oct 7 to Oct 16: Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Oct 17 to Nov 8: Pick swap window
Nov 1 to Nov 8: Delisted free agency period
Nov 20-21: Telstra AFL Draft
Nov 22: Telstra Pre-Season Draft and Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back