List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam Edmund: carlton still not out of the Houston race

They’re in good company then, so’s this young lady.

images

You got to dig a little deeper and look at the quality of players under 25.
Green is players above average for their age, yellow is where they should be and red is for poor players

Quaynor (24) - Was really poor in 2024, okay role player overall

Hill (24) - Good small forward, brilliant some weeks, quiet other ones.

Mcreery (23) Decent role player
Dean (23) Might make it as an okay tall defender

Macrae (22) Really poor player
Parker (22) Might be a decent player, physically a bit of a worry.
Mcinnes (21) almost got delisted

Daicos - Superstar

Long - Poor player
Steene - Too early to say
Harrison - Gonna struggle to make it with a 12 month ACL

Allan - Shows promise

Ryan - Been mediocre at VFL level
Jiath/Smit/Demattia - Too early to comment.

If you were to compare that to most other teams in the AFL, we're a long way behind. Nick Daicos is the only one stopping us from coming virtually dead last in talent under 25.

Hopefully we can do the Geelong method and keep adding stars every year to keep us in contention, if not then there's a massive rebound coming.
Jesus Kap.
Embarrassing that you would share this.
Shallow analysis that has no real value.

One of their greatest ever players has retired, and a number of their experienced players have deserted the sinking ship.
It's doubtful they have enough experienced players to help so many draftees.
Balta has signed for the long haul, knowing it will be a tough few years - respect.
I wonder if they will trade some of those picks into next year and trade in some experienced players with them.
How many list vacancies have they got? must be a fair few. If they were going to trade into next year I think they would have added some guys like North got, but they didn't, so I think they'll use all of those picks.

Green is players above average for their age, yellow is where they should be and red is for poor players

Daicos - Superstar

Long - Poor player

Allan - Shows promise

If you were to compare that to most other teams in the AFL, we're a long way behind. Nick Daicos is the only one stopping us from coming virtually dead last in talent under 25.

Hopefully we can do the Geelong method and keep adding stars every year to keep us in contention, if not then there's a massive rebound coming.
As you say, we can still top up with FA's of one kind or another - plus more trades now that future trading is being opened up.

As for the younger ones, I'm a bit more optimistic:

Daicos (wow, we're lucky), Hill, Quaynor,, McCreery: very content - elite traits .

Allan, Harrison, Parker, Jiath, Demattia, Steene, Smit: will be fine to solid, IMO.

McInnes, Dean, Ryan, Macrae, Long: still hopeful.

I got the impression watching him that he was deferring to other players, rather than going in hard for the ball.
He needs to be told to just go for it.

He's a big boy, but to me, he still looks a bit unformed - needs a big preseason in the gym.
I reckon some of that is the confidence that you know you belong. It can come. I always remember Leon Davis early days playing for free kicks. Once he realised he was good enough and didn't have to do that, he flourished. If he's actually good enough, it will click for him and he will start trusting his own instincts. Thats a big IF though imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daicos - Superstar

Long - Poor player

Allan - Shows promise

I agree with most of what you said except Mcreery. Any team in the league would have him and his pressure is elite.

What is Hayes injury issue? A knee?
Among other things. Knee, foot, persistent injuries over his entire time at St Kilda, limiting him to 9 games in 3 years or something.

I agree with most of what you said except Mcreery. Any team in the league would have him and his pressure is elite.
Disagree with him on IQ too. Had a down year but he was in the AA squad last year at only 23 years old. Labeling him as an ok role player under the circumstances is disingenuous at best.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back