List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

He's mobile so in our set up with fast ball movement i think he can be a serious weapon. Imagine playing KPF for St Kilda and still kicking 30-40 goals
Our forwards will be able to spread on the lead, knowing that Nick or Dan will hit them on the tit.

What a dullard. [Edit: Ralph, not Jen]

"That decision might not be so stark if ... so many rivals had not chosen this moment to stock up on picks in one of the best drafts since the famed 2001 mega-draft."

Every trade has 2 sides. For everyone trading in there was someone trading out.

Then he names rivals like:
Richmond (full rebuild - hardly a short term rival)
Port (he should check out the Port bigfooty view of their trades! They hardly stocked up & it wasn't exactly by choice that they traded Houston)
Carlton (who are praying pick 3 is someone who could open their window -- like a Naicos -- & not another Paddy Dow)

Without looking closely, I don't recall contenders like Gee, Freo, Haw stocking up...

People hoping Membery will replace Cox are bonkers. Our forward line next year will include Cox. He’s too important to our structure.

Elliot, Mihocek, Cox
Beau, McStay, Hill

Schultz & Membery on the bench.

I feel we are going to see our sub come from the above list.

I don’t get the theory that Carlton putting all their eggs in one basket “extends their premiership window for years”. What a load of absolute bullshit purely aimed at pissing Pies supporters off with zero substance or fact. This guy wouldn’t know rational journalism if it hit him in the face

Last edited:
What a dullard. [Edit: Ralph, not Jen]

"That decision might not be so stark if ... so many rivals had not chosen this moment to stock up on picks in one of the best drafts since the famed 2001 mega-draft."

Every trade has 2 sides. For everyone trading in there was someone trading out.

Then he names rivals like:
Richmond (full rebuild - hardly a short term rival)
Port (he should check out the Port bigfooty view of their trades! They hardly stocked up & it wasn't exactly by choice that they traded Houston)
Carlton (who are praying pick 3 is someone who could open their window -- like a Naicos -- & not another Paddy Dow)

Without looking closely, I don't recall contenders like Gee, Freo, Haw stocking up...
Yep.

THe following 6 teams all had a crack at improving their team by bringing in players and traded out or down first round selections

Collingwood
Freo
Geelong
GC
WCE
Hawthron

I don’t get the theory that Carlton putting all their eggs in one basket “extends their premiership window for years”. What a load of absolute bullshit purely aimed at pissing Pies supporters off with zero substance or face. This guy wouldn’t know rational journalism if it hit him in the face
All it is, is Ralph showing that he has an incredibly poor understanding of list management and the incredible risk that comes with dumping all your collateral in to one investment.

I view it almost like stocks, Carlton had a couple of options, they had two picks (stocks) that were lower risk and likely medium reward, with the chance of a higher reward, and a lower risk pick that had a medium low chance of reward.
Instead they decided to pool their finances (picks) in to a medium risk and likely high reward option that has a higher chance of going to the moon (generational talent).
As with all investing there is a chance for all options of a bust which is why most investors diversify their investments.
Good luck to them if it comes off, but it’s a risk that I’d be uncomfortable with my club taking.

Thanks Nick.
Journos by the way had you believe he was headed to Carlton.
Lesson learned I'm hoping. Doubting though. Wake up.

I think it’s important to let Carlton fans think they are a chance, priceless when they find out…they are still Carlton.

Yep.

THe following 6 teams all had a crack at improving their team by bringing in players and traded out or down first round selections

Collingwood
Freo
Geelong
GC
WCE
Hawthron
In other words 5 contenders for next years flag took the option of immediate improvement over a lottery for the long term.

I’m shocked.

In other words 5 contenders for next years flag took the option of immediate improvement over a lottery for the long term.

I’m shocked.
I'm hoping he convinces a lot of clubs.

As I'm very confident that what we're doing is the way to go and if others switch to what we're doing it'll make it harder to recruit blokes. And it does feel like there's a re-evaluation of draft versus trade going on.

Last edited:
Started the trade, FA period with a bag of chips and a Vanilla Coke and ended with an AA surgeon off halfback, quality mid option through the rotation and a 30+ goal a year play taller forward that may even be a back up. Not too mention a bunch of picks that will end up being in the 40’s more than likely to take a shot on a couple of development prospects.
Not too shabby, and we ****ed up our trade period according to most. Can’t wait to see it when we nail it.

I think Mihocek is going to struggle next year after his torn pec tendon.

He won't have the same strength to wrestle as before.

He's also 32 and pretty banged up
He’s been a work horse for us, he seems built for it but this would be my concern. Hopefully the time off will be good for his body and a bit of a refresh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Warm the Welcome thread up Dave.

And we’ve signed Membrey?

Membrey won't become official until November, so TD will have time to get the thread Mickey Mouse.

He actually isn't a DFA due to St Kilda - they offered him a contract. He's a DFA because Sydney delisted him a decade ago, and you retain that DFA status if you come out of contract again.

He’s been a work horse for us, he seems built for it but this would be my concern. Hopefully the time off will be good for his body and a bit of a refresh.
He'll hopefully have some shielding with McStay getting a good run (touch wood)

Thrilled with the Membrey acquisition. Tireless leads at the footy, good overhead (less so contested), kicks goals and does so accurately. I think he'll have 2-3 years in him, and gives us some interesting options with our structure in the front half
contested marking (1v1 verses pack) is his greatest asset along with his goal kicking accuracy

his vertical leap is really quite good and he takes the ball at its highest point ..quite difficult to spoil once he extends his arms

for his size (188), might be one of the best marks in the league IMO

mobility, ability to chase /create pressure when ball hits the deck is where i have question marks

He'll hopefully have some shielding with McStay getting a good run (touch wood)
It's Checkers. He's going to hit contests hard and work his arse off putting his body on the line with repeat efforts regardless of who is in the team beside him. I don't think his tall partner is going to make much of a difference in terms of how many blows he cops.

So I have to wonder if the selection of Membrey is an insight into a strategic shift for us next year?

Because initially I wondered how we structure up going forward?

Mihocek, McStay, Membrey, Hill, Schultz and Elliott?

What about the resting ruck?

Then I remembered. Wasn’t there rumours of a switch to 5 on the bench next year? What if we anticipate that and plan to strictly rotate Cox and Cameron with that 5th spot?

Leaving the forward line a little more dynamic while keeping our rucks fresher for the whole game allowing them to cover more ground for longer?

Could work
I like your thinking. 🤔

I like your thinking. 🤔

I mean, you always have McStay and Frampton at either end that can take the odd ruck contest here and there that allows our main ruck to float around the middle as either a get out kick or a defensive wall

We can constantly rotate Cox and Cameron to keep them fresh too

People hoping Membery will replace Cox are bonkers. Our forward line next year will include Cox. He’s too important to our structure.

Elliot, Mihocek, Cox
Beau, McStay, Hill

Schultz & Membery on the bench.

I feel we are going to see our sub come from the above list.

McStay as the 2nd ruck might be the go.

It's Checkers. He's going to hit contests hard and work his arse off putting his body on the line with repeat efforts regardless of who is in the team beside him. I don't think his tall partner is going to make much of a difference in terms of how many blows he cops.
Agree he won’t take a backward step but there will be a more shared responsibility, we don’t want them both hitting the same contest. We missed Peckers.

I mean, you always have McStay and Frampton at either end that can take the odd ruck contest here and there that allows our main ruck to float around the middle as either a get out kick or a defensive wall

We can constantly rotate Cox and Cameron to keep them fresh too

I actually really prefer when we go with this sort of set up i50. We have so many dangerous players at a forward 50 stoppage, JDG, Elliott, Nick, Bobby, Beau - having McStay take that forward stoppage and a bit of extra room in there for these guys to get to work could be extremely damaging.

And you're right - the added benefit of having one of the rucks, particularly DC14 who's marking and reading of the play has improved rapidly in the last 12-18 months, as a wall to lock it in our F50 makes it harder for teams to pick their way out of our forward line and kill us on transition

I actually really prefer when we go with this sort of set up i50. We have so many dangerous players at a forward 50 stoppage, JDG, Elliott, Nick, Bobby, Beau - having McStay take that forward stoppage and a bit of extra room in there for these guys to get to work could be extremely damaging.

And you're right - the added benefit of having one of the rucks, particularly DC14 who's marking and reading of the play has improved rapidly in the last 12-18 months, as a wall to lock it in our F50 makes it harder for teams to pick their way out of our forward line and kill us on transition
And if they get passed that there’s The Rocketman waiting to launch it back in again.

And if they get passed that there’s The Rocketman waiting to launch it back in again.
He'll benefit Cox as well.
Instead of the ball being kicked on Mase's head too often, Dan will put it out in front of him.
Mase can be hard to stop on the lead because of his size and reach - he might even get more free kicks for arm chops.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back