List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

I can’t really understand this.With Krueger and Eyre being delisted we’re going to be incredibly short on key position depth next year.God help us if anything happens to Moore next year.

So if we only pick up Membrey. Do we have enough list spots for the draft now, or do we need to move players to the rookie list?

38/4/2 - if only 2 picks at draft (+1 rookie upgrade)
34 currently including Perryman & Houston (which gives us 4 max to 38)
36 if we go +2 'freshies' at the draft
37 if we access Membrey +1 as UFA
38 rookie upgrade (let's say Smit)

which leaves Tomlinson to potentially be picked up as rookie (via SSP) ..in addition to 3 current rooks
(i. Sully, ii. Dean, iii. Long), giving us 4 catA rooks

so 38/4 and 2 cat B's (Parker, Condon)

38/4/2 - if 3 picks at draft
34 currently including Perryman & Houston (which gives us 4 max to 38)
37 if we go +3 'freshies' at the draft
38 if we access Membrey +1 as UFA

which means we have full compliment of 38+4 (i. Sully, ii. Dean, iii. Long, iv. Smit) = 42, so Tomlinson can only be SSP'd if we put HH on LTi in the new year

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi all.

Had to create an account to get something off my chest! But I have a feeling it won't be my last post.

The narrative of "risk" that's been peddled by the AFL media this week when it comes to our recruitment has been driving me up the wall. It's become patently obvious that within the sheltered workshop of the footy media there's:

1. Little to no understanding of risk identification and management.

2. A very old fashioned notion that there's anything remotely "safer" or "lower risk" in a club investing the majority of its capital in the draft, even a supposedly deep draft like this one.

Yes, we have an age profile that slants older but there are so many other factors to take into account. Experience, big game presence, cool heads under pressure. Proven ability and class. High standards and accountabilty. Leadership. Nous. These are things we have in abundance in our older players. And it wins finals.

If we're taking about risk, there is a MUCH greater risk in investing heavily in, say, pick 3 in the draft cough than there is for us in recruiting a two time (and current) AA star with one of the best kicks in the game, with big game experience and a quantifiable track record as a model professional both on and off the field. Or a DFA who kicks plenty of goals in an underwhelming side like St Kilda. That pick 3 guarantees you absolutely nothing. Zero.

And we also know there are different standards at play here. Geelong go for an injury riddled, underperforming 29 year old in Jack Martin as a DFA and we have to listen to the media drool over the decision. But getting a superstar in his prime like Houston, while trading away a future first that we won't use anyway is "going all in" and a "big risk".

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk and I'll make sure my next post is a bit shorter!
Nice first post!
I agree with you!

Hi all.

Had to create an account to get something off my chest! But I have a feeling it won't be my last post.

The narrative of "risk" that's been peddled by the AFL media this week when it comes to our recruitment has been driving me up the wall. It's become patently obvious that within the sheltered workshop of the footy media there's:

2. A very old fashioned notion that there's anything remotely "safer" or "lower risk" in a club investing the majority of its capital in the draft, even a supposedly deep draft like this one.

Yes, we have an age profile that slants older but there are so many other factors to take into account. Experience, big game presence, cool heads under pressure. Proven ability and class. High standards and accountabilty. Leadership. Nous. These are things we have in abundance in our older players. And it wins finals.

If we're taking about risk, there is a MUCH greater risk in investing heavily in, say, pick 3 in the draft cough than there is for us in recruiting a two time (and current) AA star with one of the best kicks in the game, with big game experience and a quantifiable track record as a model professional both on and off the field. Or a DFA who kicks plenty of goals in an underwhelming side like St Kilda. That pick 3 guarantees you absolutely nothing. Zero.

And we also know there are different standards at play here. Geelong go for an injury riddled, underperforming 29 year old in Jack Martin as a DFA and we have to listen to the media drool over the decision. But getting a superstar in his prime like Houston, while trading away a future first that we won't use anyway is "going all in" and a "big risk".

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk and I'll make sure my next post is a bit shorter!
Please feel free to post here and on the main board whenever possible. The Carlton folk will hate this type of realism

Happy with Key forward depth with Membrey coming in but what happens if 1 or more of Moore, Frampton, Dean get injured.
99% sure that Reef is going to be playing defence this year.

He needs to be put in a set position and left there i think so we can see what he can actually do. I rate him
I agree. He needs to settle somewhere so he can put 150% effort into the one positon rather than being swapped between forward. Mid. Defence.

Hi all.

They're all just mug punters.

Don't invest in that successful company that has consistently produced returns. It's safer to put it on Maccas mare. Macca says it's a ripper and you'll be kicking yourself if you miss out.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back