List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Schultz hasn't cost us 2 1st round picks.

It was pick 34 (ended up being 38 on the night I believe) and a future 1st.

Obviously we did the trade hoping that future 1st was going to be in the high teens.

We gambled and not for the first time it looks like we'll come a bit unstuck due to our finishing position.

That's my error it was our second and this year's first.....

I hear the frustration but then I think….. we won the flag last year and have 16 of the best.

I’m also hearing from this thread that we take Smith, Daniel and Lobb for two second rounders :)

If anyone wants a laugh or to cheer up, go have a read of the description of Jakob Ryan in the Age post the draft.

Obviously we did the trade hoping that future 1st was going to be in the high teens.

We gambled and not for the first time it looks like we'll come a bit unstuck due to our finishing position.
It’s not entirely our decision as to what makes a trade occur.
Freo knew what our 2023 1st was.
Certain to get a better pick by punting on our 2024 one, (unless we won the flag again).

How many match winners does a club need to have on their list?

We have Naicos, possibly JDG Elliott and Bobby.

Am I missing anyone else?
18 other players .. it is a TEAM game after all. To be fair our list - on paper - is not a premiership list, but the coaching group and team got it done, this year the team is not playing like that team, probably due to constant injruies and personnel rotation, but our depth is not great - just watching players like Parfitt and Stanley etc in Cats Magoos compared to us kinda highlighted that...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

18 other players .. it is a TEAM game after all. To be fair our list - on paper - is not a premiership list, but the coaching group and team got it done, this year the team is not playing like that team, probably due to constant injruies and personnel rotation, but our depth is not great - just watching players like Parfitt and Stanley etc in Cats Magoos compared to us kinda highlighted that...

No. What that highlighted was mature and experience. V young and inexperienced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The difference between you and me is I have perspective, and don’t use revisionism to bag the club.

Grundy - I actually didn’t want him traded. But I am first to admit Cox and Cameron filled the breech and we won the flag.
But please show me how we could have saved $650 x 5 years in another ways to increase our cap space while retaining him.

Ginnivan - I absolutely believe he has high Footy IQ. But he’s a showy pony - who may never develop Shooters strengths, despite your insistence to the contrary. And while in the flag window getting a far more committed player was a sound decision.

Adams - most here thought he was cooked. Now your hindsight says, we should have kept him, but I guarantee you’d have no qualms today had we not had injuries. Similarly with Henry - did we miss him last year? Now with injuries you lament his loss as a trading mistake.
Help me understand how holding fast and putting into the PSD would have helped the club?

As to the dynasty Clubs - they all spent years at the bottom of the ladder collecting 1st rd picks and talent.
Coll as a Club never bottoms out - but nonetheless continues to contend.

If you think my having perspective is Spin then that’s your issue.

As too following the Club line - just go back and see how critical I was about trading Grundy.

You will notice I never criticise thoughtful, logical and rational posts.
It’s those using hindsight, revisionism or vacuous argument ignoring facts, (eg Hine critics) to bag the club that get my attention.
I'm not even saying that we shouldn't have traded Grundy, Ginnivan, Adams, Henry etc. My issue is our complete inability to extract any value for them when we trade them out whilst paying overs when we're trying to acquire players like Shoota, Treloar, Beams etc.

I actually agree with you that Hine is unfairly maligned from the In Wright We Trust brigade. The original post I replied to was complaining about the holes in the list putting the blame on Hine. How is Hine supposed to patch holes in our list when we trade out multiple AAs and first round picks in Grundy, Adams, Henry for a bunch of late second rounders. Combined with Treloar (2x first round cost) and Stephenson and that's effectively 6 first round picks from the last 12 years traded out. And we're meant to replenish that talent with late second rounders and SSPs of delisted players?

We've been saved by our access to father sons so far but we can't continue to get peanuts for trading out talent whilst throwing away the few high first round draft picks we have on good honest players who will never be stars.

Daniel is an interesting one. His ball use out of the backline is something we need, but is he a liability defensively?

We have noble down there as well who also can be a liability aerially.

These are the type of moves we need to be looking at however. Our list is getting older and we haven't got a lot of tradeable picks to land big talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back