List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

There might be a team out there for Macrae with a different style of play, not sure but AJ seems a bust.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a few retirements at the end of this year.

Happy to retain Macrae and Johnson. Can’t see too many suitors for either. At a minimum, they’ll provide depth.

Correct but one club is receiving a benefit for relieving the others salary cap pressures
The interesting point here is the compliance needed by the second player.
If Hawks or Geel miss on Smith because Daniel only wants to go to Coll, then that’s a huge new dimension to trading. The steak knife has the power, and not the main target.

Good evening all.

Fascinated as always to read the speculations and prognostications of those on Big Footy.
I would offer the following as my recruiting/trade suggestions:

Josh Battle- at the right price- this 26 year old would be fantastic- has many similar attributes to Nathan Murphy but can also go forward.

Isaac Cumming- would be an upgrade on both Noble and Markov- is an excellent user by foot and is quick.

CJ Jiath- would love to see him as a quick, mobile and athletic (185cm) half back flanker/ winger

Mason Wood- will turn 31 in September but at 192cm and with elite kicking skills would be a great get at minimal cost.

Taylor Walker- left-field, but would be great in our forward mix and could job-share with Mihocek and Cox. The guy does not have to play every game, but he would enable our coaching team to rest the likes of Cox and Mihocek to prolong their careers...

Off our List for 2025-

Murphy and Carmichael (Concussion related),
Sidebottom and Howe (I believe that both will hang them up at season's end)
Jack Bytel and Begg (I would delist both- Bytel has poor disposal and Begg has not developed as expected/hoped for).
????? Ash Johnson and Fin Macrae--- if neither play in these last six rounds, their cards may be 'marked'

Assuming we acquire three of my recruiting suggestions, we would have 5 live National Draft selections.

Could use three of these and retain one for Supplementary Selection Period and one for the mid-season draft of 2025.

Would certainly bundle up our current second round pick with the 2026 second Rounder to slide up into the first 20 picks in the draft of 2024.

Floreat Pica.

Adding Smit and Long in the MSD means we’ve already essentially filled the Murphy and Carmichael list spots.

He was okay last year. He has done a reverse Richards.

I got howled down last year for admitting I just don’t see it with Ryan. Nothing has changed for me in 2024. As I said last year, he’s got time because he’s contracted, but he needs to show something soon. I was more confident about Richards.

Last edited:
Adding Smit and Long in the MSD means we’ve already essentially filled the Murphy and Carmichael list spots.
MSD's go on the rookie list, so Murphys senor list still is available. Come end of the year we'll have to sort through the rookie stuff. Maybe Smit for carmichael and Long for.. Bytel (if he gets delisted)? Then there is the question of Begg, of course too.

The interesting point here is the compliance needed by the second player.
If Hawks or Geel miss on Smith because Daniel only wants to go to Coll, then that’s a huge new dimension to trading. The steak knife has the power, and not the main target.
Reportedly a fest with each wanting the other

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I got howled down last year for admitting I just don’t see it with Ryan. Nothing has changed for me in 2024. As I said last year, he’s got because he’s contracted, but he needs to show something soon. I was more confident about Richards.
Well you shouldn't have been, how easily some people were seduced by the shimmering golden hair, the ability to play good footy seems optional. Hasn't fired a shot and the senior game was charity.

Well you shouldn't have been, how easily some people were seduced by the shimmering golden hair, the ability to play good footy seems optional. Hasn't fired a shot and the senior game was charity.
I agree that Ryan probably won’t make it but your constant references to his his hair mr man of pye seem a little strange

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there a world where we make a play for Oliver? Interested in people's arguments for and against.

On balance it's likely a no for me, however I can see the attraction and potential reward, particularly pairing him with Naicos for the next 3-4 years.

The arguments for and against are pretty obvious. Star, but are his off-field habits more like Cousins or Dane Swan? Answer that question and it's anything from a resounding no to a resounding yes.

The arguments for and against are pretty obvious. Star, but are his off-field habits more like Cousins or Dane Swan? Answer that question and it's anything from a resounding no to a resounding yes.
I'm not sure it's as simple as that. Even if his off-field habits are more like Dane Swan, would we have enough to satisfy Melbourne in a trade and would we be willing to commit ~$1.4m of our salary cap to one player?

Clearly if his off-field habits are more like Ben Cousins, it's a no.

Is there a world where we make a play for Oliver? Interested in people's arguments for and against.

On balance it's likely a no for me, however I can see the attraction and potential reward, particularly pairing him with Naicos for the next 3-4 years.
We have to be very careful what we do from now on IMO.

Non stop injuries (to lot of oldies) have crippled this season, and there’s every chance they’ll continue into next.

Our mids are pendles, sidey (old), crisp (31 soon), Mitchell prob cooked, then Degoey will be 29 at start of next season. That’s our no 1 issue.

So we maybe have one more season next year to be somewhat competitive, then the inveitable bigger fall will come.

Players like Oliver with his cost are in their prime, so i don’t think his age suits us because we will be rebuilding during his prime. Would be a waste IMO.

We don’t want to do a Richmond and refuse to accept reality. I think cheap top up’s this off season that don’t cost much for one last crack (however unrealistic it is), and focus on a full long term rebuild from there.

Since 2018 we’ve played in two GF’s two prelims and one other semi. We’ve had a great run, and I’m looking forward to the upcoming changes and rebuild, winning the flag has given me 5 years of being content watching it.

Non stop injuries (to lot of oldies) have crippled this season, and there’s every chance they’ll continue into next.

Our mids are pendles, sidey (old), crisp (31 soon), Mitchell prob cooked, then Degoey will be 29 at start of next season. That’s our no 1 issue.

So we maybe have one more season next year to be somewhat competitive, then the inveitable bigger fall will come.

Players like Oliver with his cost are in their prime, so i don’t think his age suits us because we will be rebuilding during his prime. Would be a waste IMO.

We don’t want to do a Richmond and refuse to accept reality. I think cheap top up’s this off season that don’t cost much for one last crack (however unrealistic it is), and focus on a full long term rebuild from there.

Since 2018 we’ve played in two GF’s two prelims and one other semi. We’ve had a great run, and I’m looking forward to the upcoming changes and rebuild, winning the flag has given me 5 years of being content watching it.
Go B2B this year - top up and make it a three peat - after that WGAF?

I hope not. If Dee's don't value him & would want to move him on that tells you everything you need to know. They know more about his issues than we do.

He’s a mate of my son’s. Went to school together at Goulburn Valley Grammar School in Shepparton. They still catch up every now and then for a hit of golf etc. My son is a massive Pies fan. I’ve told him to get into Clayton’s ear about a move to the Pies 😁😁

I agree that we have to trade/draft carefully across the next 3 seasons and that there's a tension between having another crack next year and a rebuild.

In my view Sidey isn't a midfielder in our set up anymore and Mitchell has barely played this season, so any midfield output we get out of Mitchell next season is a bonus (assuming he plays on). Does the rebuild equation change if we're able to entice LDU to the club in 2026, on top of perhaps someone like a Sam Berry in 2025?

I'm not convinced that we should just accept that any rebuild is necessarily a long term rebuild. We have cap space which is set to increase and a list that is somewhat unbalanced, but not overly so. I'm not complaining about the run we've had over the last 6 years either, as things are subject to change from season to season in the AFL and we always seem to find a way to compete.

I hope not. If Dee's don't value him & would want to move him on that tells you everything you need to know. They know more about his issues than we do.
More than likely yes, however they may also have a need to clear cap space with a number of their established players already being on high value, long term deals (including Oliver) and younger players who have established themselves in their first 22 coming to the end of their current deals.

I'm surprised though that he has played 17 games so far this year (2 more than he played last season) given his off-season. It's possible that his issues have either been resolved and/or were overblown during an off-season where Melbourne had a number of off-field issues.

We aren't going b2b mate. Let go.
Post was

Angry Tom And Jerry GIF by Boomerang Official

More than likely yes, however they may also have a need to clear cap space with a number of their established players already being on high value, long term deals (including Oliver) and younger players who have established themselves in their first 22 coming to the end of their current deals.

I'm surprised though that he has played 17 games so far this year (2 more than he played last season) given his off-season. It's possible that his issues have either been resolved and/or were overblown during an off-season where Melbourne had a number of off-field issues.
They rated the guy so highly they gave him that astronomical contract. They've lost Brayshaw. Who knows how Petracca will be on return. If they are willing to move Oliver on, I'd take that as a big warning. He doesn't even look fit. Always blasts the ball forward without looking. I don't see the attraction at all. Particularly not with his contract & history.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back