List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you need to watch Collingwood games the last month, huge amounts of uncontested marks because we don't have the leg speed to close down and out number, how does this get fixed? Over to you.
Just need to get back to playing at our level.
It’s been way down.
We have a lot of upside dude.

Can someone explain to me how we trade up into this year’s draft to get a first round pick? Do we give away next year’s first pick because of Mcguane like Naicos year? How can we get into the top 20 without trading a player based on the picks we have?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Can someone explain to me how we trade up into this year’s draft to get a first round pick? Do we give away next year’s first pick because of Mcguane like Naicos year? How can we get into the top 20 without trading a player based on the picks we have?

Can’t do much until the afl releases the changes to bidding and information on trading of firsts etc. hopefully we know sooner rather than later

Lets say we have pick 30, 45 and 48 we could bundle these up for a 1st rounder between 12-18.

Listening to Kinnear from Swans we may get lucky and it may not be in our interest to trade up in the way suggested as it looks like a deep draft.

It maybe more a case getting picks in the 2nd round this draft in the 20-30 range.

Given this year I would not be looking to use next years pick to trade up. We would likely be selling it for unders to likes of Brisbane, Carlton, Essendon etc.

Selwood retired after their 2022 Premiership aged 34. Isaac Smith at 34 the following season. Tom Hawkins at age 35 kicked 49 goals last season from 20 games. One year later he's now kicked 15 goals in 12 games. The end looks to have come.

Dangerfield is 34 and averaging 19.56 disposals (lowest since 2011) this season. He was averaging 27.08 in 2019.

Tuohy turns 35 at the end of the year, Duncan is 33, C. Guthrie soon to be 32, Stewart currently 31.

In comparison next season....

Pendlebury will be turning 37 in January. Even by veteran standards that's old. Sorry Pendles. He is averaging 20.67 disposals this season (lowest since 2007). He was averaging 27.29 in 2019.

Howe 35 in June, Sidebottom another January Birthday. He'll be 34. Cox 34 in March. Elliott 33. Hoskin-Elliott 32. Mihocek 32. Mitchell 32. Crisp 32 after the season ends.

My point.

Sure, we saw Geelong bounce this season but I think we all know they aren't winning this years flag either. A prominent poster on this site said they'd miss finals only a month back. While our challenges this season are varied one of them is definitely our midfield and it's why Geelong aren't a legitimate Premiership chance also.

Like Geelong one of problems within that midfield is clearly the age profile and the understandable lessening of output due to age.

While I see a lot of people are backing us to bounce next season I'm less convinced or at least not confident that our Premiership window hasn't now closed in the short term. With a lack of elite young talent seemingly coming through to support Nick (and to pick up the slack of those veterans in decline) I struggle to see how that midfield improves in the short term and propels us back to being a Premiership fancy. At worse I fear our recent form is more indicative of what's to come next season, age has finally caught up with the list and people are currently in a state of shock and denial.

Even if you legitimately believe we can bounce back to being a top 4 contender next season I think there is a couple of lessons some on here can learn from Geelong experience that they are quick to reference.

The first one is that the Geelong bounce this year has come after the retirement of an all time Geelong great at the end of 22 and a 4 time Premiership winger Smith last season.

I think both men are worthy comparisons to Pendlebury and Sidebottom, the decisions that might be made and demonstate that while it's sad when champions of the game retire, clubs go on, opportunities arise for others, fresh faces arrive and it's possible to maintain a level of competitiveness.

The second lesson comes from Tom Hawkins and his decision seemingly to play on for 1 season to many. Even for champions who performed admirably the season before the end can come quickly.

Personally I don't now see a top 4 finsihing position being realistic next season with or without the likes of Pendlebury, Sidebottom or Howe.

I could certainly see us being worse, with our veterans effectively acting as a band aid solution but is that really what's best for the next stage of our list development? That's the hard question we need to ask.

Personally I'm in favour of ripping off some of the band aids and we see what comes of it one way or another.

If we thrive then bloody fantastic. If we dive then at least we know where we stand and our "prize" is a valuable selection in what should be the last of the uncompromised drafts (prior to the Tasmania draft concessions).
Good post.

I’m probably a bit more optimistic of us bouncing back if we make the right decisions and the luck falls our way.

I think our midfield with Nick Daicos and De Goey has enough star power to compete if they’re surrounded by the right supporting pieces. But we need to make the hard calls on Pendlebury and Steele. I don’t think we need superstars to replace them though just more athletic players to cover Nick and De Goey defensively.

I also think Tom Mitchell can be a big piece next year to the midfield as well and we can get away with carrying one plodder. He’s still on the ‘younger’ side of all our veterans and his time off this year should hopefully see him get over his issues and come into next season fresh.

I think the main reason that will determine how we play next season is how we adapt tactically. We make the right changes like we did at the end of 21 and we’re right back up.

Much like in 2021, I don’t see our core too far off challenging. Just needs slight refreshing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was floated here a month ago and was screamed down, but Bobby's form over the last month has been poor. I don't think the Club would even consider it, but others may think he's tradable.
Anyone who does not know what Happened might

Hill Himself was upset that Rumor came out

I was warming on Battle until it was rumoured how much the Hawks are supposedly offering.

Would love Barrass but the cost trade wise would be way too high.

But Battle in for Murphy, Haynes (UFA) as a 2 year Howe replacement, Zurhaar (RFA) future Elliott replacement and then trade in a high-potential underperforming prospect like Stone, Will Phillips or something, it doesn't look so bad does it?

Think we are an elite winger and soon to be elite mid (Pendles) short. Ed Allan actually coming on would be oh so sweet.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back