List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought we were going back to back.
We won the flag.
McStay would be back.
A trade period to come.
Look out.
I temper my disappointment of this season with the fact that we’re still reigning Premiers at the moment.
True - and most importantly there’s no team we should fear with a full list, given how competitive we’ve been against the best all year.

I think this is a huge risk and big mistake.

Hawthorn showed the way be allowing star Premiership players Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Gunston, etc to move to other clubs for the last year or two of their careers, which created spaces and opportunities for the youngsters that they restocked with. Now look at them.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

plenty of counter examples too - see north and all the other clubs on infinite rebuilds

have to take each situation on its merits

in reality the key issue is that we are bringing in youth and developing them well. You can still do that to a high standard by keeping older players on the list. We just need to give youth opportunity

I’ll back the Coaches that they know the Veterans are NOT passed it, and have earned their extension.

With an easier draw in 2025, and improved injury list we are not sliding down the ladder.
It’s entirely improbable re-signing Sidey and Pendles will cause a drop.

I believe that the age/talent profile is badly out of balance and that we lack the draft/trade capital to correct it. You disagree. That’s fine. We’re each entitled to an opinion and all will be revealed over the course of 2025. I’d prefer your expectation to be more correct than mine.

I don't hate Schultz (I believe he has drastically unperformed) but I do think his inclusion was at the heart of our current dilemma. Few youth improvements, a lot of low-mid-weight performers and we'll be lucky to snag much even if it is a deep draft this year.

So let's double-down on our aging list and try a gameplan suited to chip-chip-stoppage offence and weight-of-numbers defence to help us ease through it. Have been plenty of times this year when that would have suited us better than what we showed (looking at Hawks, Freo, Bulldogs games in particular).

Hawthorn showed the way be allowing star Premiership players Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Gunston, etc to move to other clubs for the last year or two of their careers, which created spaces and opportunities for the youngsters that they restocked with. Now look at them.

I would’ve thought the young stars they have at present were from the last 5 years and from the Premiefship stars you mentioned.
I guess their low ladder position in the years following that ensured early picks.

Why do we want the headache of trying to Rehabilitate Clarry? The constant relapses should be instructive that we are taking on a nightmare.
He’d have to be a bargain basement acquisition to take on that risk.

because its also a nightmare trying to get mediocre footballers to play to a high standard

id say that statistically the majority of twenty-somethings with party substance issues get their life in order, especially if they have good support systems and resources around them

i mean if he is a total flog, sure , theres little we can do. but it seems he was doing pretty well for most of his career, and its not like melbourne is proving the best environment there is

exactly this.

i'd prefer to play Sidey in the high HFF role that Lippa has previously occupied.

Sidey's footy IQ and skills around goals are elite. Endurance to get up & back also make him a good fit for this role.

but we're balls-deep on small(ish) forwards (Hill, Schultz, Lippa, Elliott) in addition to the up & comers (Richards & HH).
i also desperately would love to see sidey in the fwd line. his IQ around goal is so high and underutilised

Yep.

In trade terms, both Fin and Reef would have slipped >20 draft places on what we originally picked them at. We really should have traded them both a year ago, before their struggles became obvious to all. It’s shaping as the Brown brothers all over again with these two. So many years on our list and we end up giving them away for next to nothing or delisting.

We need to get much better and faster at developing, evaluating and trading/cutting young players. Hanging on to someone for 4-6 seasons to then delist is very costly.

Ironically, the guy we did cut quickly was Poulter, who showed plenty of (erratic) talent and is now going very nicely at the Bulldogs. 🤷🏻‍♂️

The Poulter scenario tells your everything.

These two will become best 22 somewhere. If it's not at the Pies, then we can look forward to a deep rebuild in a year or two.

Buckle up for some dark times.

Yes, it was magnificent but is unravelling fast because of our aging list and shallow pool of talented youngsters. Where do you see improvement coming from in 2025, especially relative to the improvements that our competitors will make?
A good run with injuries would see us right back in the mix without changing much. Add Keane (hopefully) an improved Eyre, Smit, Demattia, Richards and Allan and we will be okay.

These two will become best 22 somewhere. If it's not at the Pies, then we can look forward to a deep rebuild in a year or two.

You can. I don't see the sky falling cause it rarely has at Collingwood.

Sidey is good enough to keep playing, the question is would MacRae be what we need had he been getting those games? Everyone is excited by the Hawks but one thing I've noticed is they've given 30-40 games to their young players to let them build. Our young players seem to get dropped after one poorish half of footy. Fringe players would be wary about sticking around at the club right now.

If the club believe we can challenge next year it makes sense, if they are looking to rebuild it's a terrible idea. Also, please get Hobbs, he is class!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Melbourne and Oliver want to part ways, we could get him for peanuts.
His best footy is great and exactly what we need - it's a question of whether we could get him physically and mentally right.
I'd still rather Petracca, but that would be unlikely.

You can make the same “get him for peanuts” arguments about Tarryn Thomas.

A good run with injuries would see us right back in the mix without changing much. Add Keane (hopefully) an improved Eyre, Smit, Demattia, Richards and Allan and we will be okay.

Is “a good run with injuries” a realistic expectation with nine of our Best 23 players all aged above 30? I wouldn’t have thought so.

I share your hopes for the youngsters you name but suspect that every other team has a similar group that are at least as good, and in most cases better, than ours. So in relative terms I really don’t see how we improve, although a softer fixture in 2025 might help a bit.

Don’t want to believe but I think your right
Were right on the edge now
If we stuff things up we are heading to Richmond territory
Must preserve as much younger talent as possible
Reef and macrae should have been given more opportunities

They were in a different position. Their kids who have since blossomed were already in the team playing AFL roles to a decent standard - Mitchell and JOM out simply increased their responsibility with making them full time in the central midifeld roles that they were already rolling through. We haven't got those kids playing at an AFL level to hand over central roles to.

Is “a good run with injuries” a realistic expectation with nine of our Best 23 players all aged above 30? I wouldn’t have thought so.

I share your hopes for the youngsters you name but suspect that every other team has a similar group that are at least as good, and in most cases better, than ours. So in relative terms I really don’t see how we improve, although a softer fixture in 2025 might help a bit.

You have Pendles, Crisp, Sidey, WHE all very durable and excellent in their recovery programs. Jamie/Cox you'd say likely 60-70%. Howie also reasonably durable. Mitch has had an Annus Horribilus but is also fanatical about recovery. Checkers is usually as tough as they come.

So I'd say yeah with them I'd still expect "a good run". I think this year has been the case all of our younger players have suffered more - Harvey, Joe, IQ, Beau, Johnson, De Goey and a lot of brief (and not-so-brief) concussions.

Geel have a similar age profile- and have bounced back after a season ravaged by injury last year.
They probably make top 4 - so your pessimism needs to be tempered.

Old lists can still be ultra competitive.

Don’t bank on softer fixture
That hardly ever happens

We will be in Sydney twice
Brisbane
Gold coast
Probably get hawthorn and Geelong Carlton Essendon twice
Dogs at marvel

Lock them in

The strange thing about delisting Poulter is that he showed plenty of talent, albeit mixed with inconsistency and sometimes poor on-field decision-making. But those flaws are quite fixable with experience. Talent-wise, he always had a raking left boot, could run all day and knew how to find the footy. By contrast, to my eye, Fin has only ever shown modest amounts of talent/impact, yet he has a contract for a fifth season with us. We kept the wrong one!

Don’t want to believe but I think your right
Were right on the edge now
If we stuff things up we are heading to Richmond territory
Must preserve as much younger talent as possible
Reef and macrae should have been given more opportunities
I must admit I am a Reef fan but he hasn't performed AFL standard within VFL, you'd expect his tank and dominance to be much better.

I'd keep him for one more and flog him over pre-season to allow him to switch between something like a strong runnong wing and high half forward to keep his value high.

Absolutely baffled by Finn's performance also. Just doesn't really excel at anything while being solidly good. I think we have to trade him for something.

But no way we're heading to Richmond territory. Still a lot of promise with our group, has just been a confluence of negative factors, some within our control but also plain bad luck.

The strange thing about delisting Poulter is that he showed plenty of talent, albeit mixed with inconsistency and sometimes poor on-field decision-making. But those flaws are quite fixable with experience. Talent-wise, he always had a raking left boot, could run all day and knew how to find the footy. By contrast, to my eye, Fin has only ever shown modest amounts of talent/impact, yet he has a contract for a fifth season with us. We kept the wrong one!

Comparing Finn and Poulter is Apples and Oranges.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back