List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

2. The salary dumps were unpopular and I'm convinced that the trading of our future first for not much was about marketing to appease us angry mob with a big draft haul.
Agree with point 2 espeially. I recall at the time that most clubs were abandoning that draft, yet we loaded up. I'm sure a lot of it was about making up lost ground with the fanbase who were very unhappy after the trade period. Felt that way anyway.

agree with this. but i'm curious ..

do we give them credit and say 'yes, they knew how poor the covid-affected crop were' that year but, nevertheless, pushed on unto the breach for the sake of marketing, schadenfreude and ed-inspired propaganda?

or were they genuinely clueless about the impact of no-games covid & incompetent as to how poor that crop would turn out?

Hate it when an otherwise interesting and useful thread falls victim to a constant series of back and forth arguments and game of one-upmanship. We all support the Pies, that's why we are here. Why the need to prove that someone's opinion is superior than another's? Maybe take the debate to DMs rather than clog the forum :think:

PS: This is not directed at the post / poster immediately above.

As this year has shown, we definitely need some depth in the inside extractor role with Mitch nearing the end and Finn likely not fit for task.

We want it to be playable depth for next year, ideally someone who helps lower our age profile. Cheapish names thrown around to this point include Berry, Hobbs and Phillips. Who’s the best prospect if the three?

Are there any other young inside mids who can play a role as of next year if required with scope to be solid players?

As this year has shown, we definitely need some depth in the inside extractor role with Mitch nearing the end and Finn likely not fit for task.

We want it to be playable depth for next year, ideally someone who helps lower our age profile. Cheapish names thrown around to this point include Berry, Hobbs and Phillips. Who’s the best prospect if the three?

Are there any other young inside mids who can play a role as of next year if required with scope to be solid players?
Sheldrick’s on the outer at the Swans, Davies is always on the fringe at GC, perhaps Stone at the Giants and maybe Chesser at the Eagles. Ultimately though most of these guys will just get spat out of the system and the answer could be staring us in the face in Long who’s shown as much as any of them.

IMO, we’re better off filling that role through an established fit if we’re pro scouting it and focus on traits for those fringe types. Think Hawthorn and D’Ambrosio.

Sheldrick’s on the outer at the Swans, Davies is always on the fringe at GC, perhaps Stone at the Giants and maybe Chesser at the Eagles. Ultimately though most of these guys will just get spat out of the system and the answer could be staring us in the face in Long who’s shown as much as any of them.

IMO, we’re better off filling that role through an established fit if we’re pro scouting it and focus on traits for those fringe types. Think Hawthorn and D’Ambrosio.
Who’s your top few picks of the bunch? Or would you potentially be happy to back in Long if none of the above are significant upgrades?

Long will be a ripper. Still very young. Built well and goes in hard.

Who’s your top few picks of the bunch? Or would you potentially be happy to back in Long if none of the above are significant upgrades?
Berry’s the pick of the bunch and the only upgrade. I’d then have Long, Sheldrick and Davies rated together. The rest I think have narrow paths to being in the system beyond 2026 and will only make it on draft rating, IMO. Do you see any of them holding Mitchell out of the best 23 next year? I don’t and the loss of his 2024 could extend his career into 2026 and beyond.

Gun to my head I’d be sticking with Long and content with Berry if it went that way. As an alternative what would you say to Jack Macrae replacing Fin?

Berry’s the pick of the bunch and the only upgrade. I’d then have Long, Sheldrick and Davies rated together. The rest I think have narrow paths to being in the system beyond 2026 and will only make it on draft rating, IMO. Do you see any of them holding Mitchell out of the best 23 next year? I don’t and the loss of his 2024 could extend his career into 2026 and beyond.

Gun to my head I’d be sticking with Long and content with Berry if it went that way. As an alternative what would you say to Jack Macrae replacing Fin?
Watching GWS over the last month I would have Peatling in front of all of the by a clear margin

Berry’s the pick of the bunch and the only upgrade. I’d then have Long, Sheldrick and Davies rated together. The rest I think have narrow paths to being in the system beyond 2026 and will only make it on draft rating, IMO. Do you see any of them holding Mitchell out of the best 23 next year? I don’t and the loss of his 2024 could extend his career into 2026 and beyond. I’d be sticking with Long and content with Berry if it went that way. As an alternative what would you say to Jack Macrae replacing Fin?
Yeah that’s a fair take, I’d heard good things about Hobbs but haven’t seen enough of him myself to comment with any degree of certainty.

Not the biggest fan of J Macrae in place of his brother. It’s more planning for life after Mitchell that’s on my radar, and a younger player that’s capable of playing a role if and when Mitchell goes down, as well as growing into the role over a few years under Mitchell’s tutelage that I think would be prudent.

I’m hopeful it’s Long and perhaps it will be, but am still not entirely convinced. Last few games have been promising ant times and next two will be instructive as to whether he can build from here.

Long will be a ripper. Still very young. Built well and goes in hard.
I’m not there yet, but it’s a tough role to come into mid season so you couldn’t ask much more of him.

Im very open to Luke parker if he's happy to leave Sydney ,I think he's exactly what our midfield needs he can win the hardball but can also float forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah that’s a fair take, I’d heard good things about Hobbs but haven’t seen enough of him myself to comment with any degree of certainty.

Not the biggest fan of J Macrae in place of his brother. It’s more planning for life after Mitchell that’s on my radar, and a younger player that’s capable of playing a role if and when Mitchell goes down, as well as growing into the role over a few years under Mitchell’s tutelage that I think would be prudent.

I’m hopeful it’s Long and perhaps it will be, but am still not entirely convinced. Last few games have been promising ant times and next two will be instructive as to whether he can build from here.
Hobbs has been disappointing tonight. Has continually been burnt by his opponent and has hung off the contest looking for any easy stat

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Im very open to Luke parker if he's happy to leave Sydney ,I think he's exactly what our midfield needs he can win the hardball but can also float forward
Has been great tonight both in midfield and up forward with 3 so far

Watching GWS over the last month I would have Peatling in front of all of the by a clear margin
Dopemaster was initially enquiring about playable depth which I expanded on a little into how they can establish themselves. Peatling’s now established (I have him alongside Smith as the best mid that’s perhaps gettable) and as you pointed out he’s clearly ahead so doesn’t really fit the bill. He’d be a huge get though.

Has been great tonight both in midfield and up forward with 3 so far

Not sure the same can be said of Adams 😬

He’s now in real danger of having his spot taken by Parker when Papley and Warner are both back. Could you imagine that playing 40+ matches for the minor premier two years running and only playing one final…

Dopemaster was initially enquiring about playable depth which I expanded on a little into how they can establish themselves. Peatling’s now established (I have him alongside Smith as the best mid that’s perhaps gettable) and as you pointed out he’s clearly ahead so doesn’t really fit the bill. He’d be a huge get though.
He is out of contract and has had a contract in front of him for a few months and still hasn’t signed ao he is very gettable
Just need him to nominate us if he is going to leave

Not sure the same can be said of Adams 😬

He’s now in real danger of having his spot taken by Parker when Papley and Warner are both back. Could you imagine that playing 40+ matches for the minor premier two years running and only playing one final…

I am pretty sure he will lose his spot. He chose well in terms of a successful club but probably chose poorly in terms of his position. He has a served a purpose in the h&a season for sure but will be surplus to requirements come crunch time imo.

I am pretty sure he will lose his spot. He chose well in terms of a successful club but probably chose poorly in terms of his position. He has a served a purpose in the h&a season for sure but will be surplus to requirements come crunch time imo.
I think he knows it too. Looked like a guy who knew he'd served his purpose this year already.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back