List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

It is the height of absurdity for people to pretend that the disgruntlement of Petracca and his family is irrelevant to how this plays out. To do so, is to ignore the facts, namely that a serious question remains on how the Medical team and how the Club handled the situation, and in regard to the former, negligence is well within the bounds of possibility.

To then imply that this will just play out as it does for every unhappy player where the Club has the whip hand, seems a little simplistic.
As opposed to over complicating the issue, again a 5 year deal, he's playing for Melbourne and your War & Peace analysis won't change that fact, it's just the truth.

When did I say his families disgruntlement was irrelevant? Don’t put words in my mouth. The idea that Melbourne would want or need to “buy their silence” is absolutely ridiculous and not worth debating. That is all.
Oh so you now acknowledge the disgruntlement is a factor.
Well then, the obvious question is what pressure does that put on Melb?
Is the penny dropping?

Just logged on to see what was happening.

What in the world is all this talk of Petracca sitting out for a year if he doesn’t get traded to the club of his choice?

I’m sorry, but that is absolutely absurd and the height of fantasy.

Personally I don’t think Petracca will be going anywhere, and IMO the trade cost and our list composition should rule us out, even if he was

Can we bring it forward to before the draft?

No!

We need to draft one more 182cm nothing kinda midfielder maybe a half back that isn’t quite up to AFL standard!

For old time’s sakes

I’ve heard if may be as much physical and mental with his recovery.
Maybe he’s ready early in the season but don’t forget, he has to keep is heart rate yo less than 110bpm for a while yet.

Every person and injury is different. People can have a baseline comparison but the exact healing time and injury details are going to differ to the individual.

Petrecca hasn’t said he is going so it’s all click bait

Yes, It is all just pub talk atm.

Just logged on to see what was happening.

What in the world is all this talk of Petracca sitting out for a year if he doesn’t get traded to the club of his choice?

I’m sorry, but that is absolutely absurd and the height of fantasy.

Personally I don’t think Petracca will be going anywhere, and IMO the trade cost and our list composition should rule us out, even if he was

It was based off the rumour he is at the point that he is ready to tear up his contract and walk away from Melbourne.

The only way he can do that is by sitting out if Melb refused to deal.

No negligence
No ability to terminate contract
No afl investigation

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
You failed to read my post.
I was very specific, posing the scenario of the AFL finding egregious negligence by Melb.
Logically they would be forced to stand on the side of the players welfare.
And in such circumstances where there is no precedent, history is no guide as to the outcome, so your reasoning becomes questionable.

If you had a choice of keeping one and trading one of Reef and Richards. What would your choice be for each?

I'll go against the BF group think and keep Reef and trade Richards.

Personally I think Reef can still be a player and given his height, size and speed become a decent one at that.

Richards imo has some good points to his game but imo is bit over blown how good he actually is atm. Also feel easier to find pacey short people that can apply pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I think Reef can still be a player and given his height, size and speed become a decent one at that.

Richards imo has some good points to his game but imo is bit over blown how good he actually is atm. Also feel easier to find pacey short people that can apply pressure.
Both sides of that argument have valid points & in one way I’d like to keep both. In the same breath I think losing both won’t hurt us. How’s that for sitting on the fence?

If you had a choice of keeping one and trading one of Reef and Richards. What would your choice be for each?
I’d keep Reef. Talls take time and finding one with his speed and mobility is very difficult compared to small fwds.
When HH is back we then potentially have a surplus of them.

No they’re not, when was the last time we saw a player nominate one club who said they were open to other options? That’s a furphy if ever I saw one.

No they won’t hold players against their will as a general rule. But they also won’t give away their best, contracted player for well unders either. I’d wager that if Melbourne didn’t get a deal that they felt was equitable (ie something actually enticing for them) then they’d back themselves to repair the relationship between player and club over the next 12 months.

No I'm not 😂, it’s just that players requesting trades who nominate a single club do the exact same thing every single year and it doesn’t make that much of a difference. We had a fire sale and they went cheap, that’s all there is to it. Even if other clubs got involved we still wouldn’t have gotten much better deals, at best we might have got a bit of extra cap relief.

Mate Gold Coast literally offered up pick 5 for Treloar and were willing to take his salary on, so you are wrong on that and or ignoring it.

Had he said yes that trade looks significantly better for us.

Instead he refused and said Bulldogs or I stay.
This is ultimately why we couldn't bargain better then what was offered we got cornered, the firesale just added to it.

my preference:
  • keep Reef;
  • keep Richards & play him as a small forward; and
  • keep our sense of calm & balanced perspective when Freo demanded 2nd (2023) + 1st (2024), and respond 'yeah nah, way overs, we'll keep our draft capital, back in our own boys & trust our recruiting gurus to go to work .. we're the reining premiers, we aint desperate nor are we push-overs ...eeeya-later'

Last edited:
It was based off the rumour he is at the point that he is ready to tear up his contract and walk away from Melbourne.

The only way he can do that is by sitting out if Melb refused to deal.

IMO he’ll never sit out.

Sure he definitely could force a trade through bad blood/irreconcilable differences.

But ultimately he’s a valuable commodity who will be highly sought after. They’ll get close to market value in that case. Which is much more than we can or should be willing to offer.

You failed to read my post.
I was very specific, posing the scenario of the AFL finding egregious negligence by Melb.
Logically they would be forced to stand on the side of the players welfare.
And in such circumstances where there is no precedent, history is no guide as to the outcome, so your reasoning becomes questionable.

Word salad.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

From what I can tell the injury that will require the longest recovery time was his lacerated spleen, similar to the injury Cox had last year (albeit probably more severe) which he recovered from and played again.

Trac has been in recovery for 2 months already and has another 7 months of recovery time ahead of him. If he’s not playing round 1 he’ll be close to it imo, but Gone Critical can feel free to correct me if I’m horribly wrong.
Agree 100%. It’s an internal injury which will heal fully with no implications for repeat in the future. Only has the mental side of thing to get over. Really when you look at players who have had worse injuries like Lonegon you would think he will be back with no issues .

Hearing that Hine might be gone after the Draft
I have heard this rumour too, Carlton board seems to think we are after Brad lloyd hopefully not for head recruiter.
Would love for a change here but has to be someone elite...would love Jason Taylor or Dalrymple.

On SM-F731B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Treloar/ Grundy's situation is nothing like Petracca's. They were both contracted and did not want to leave. Because the Pies wanted them gone the players had the upper hand because they had to agree to go. Petracca is under contract and Melbourne do not want to lose him and can hold him to the contract. They can tell Petracca they will only deal with certain clubs who can facilitate a trade that satisfies them. Petracca at his age will not sit out of football as He will be in breach of contract and won't get paid. He will also lose the PR battle with the media already starting to accuse him of being petulant and sabotaging Melbourne's chances of recruiting players

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
If Melbourne win this Petracca PR battle after Oliver, Smith and Goodwin controversies fckn credit to them.

Personally I think this will be the straw that breaks the camels back and change in leadership will be inevitable.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back