List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Defensively.

Not offensively.

Imo it was a costly trade for a position we had Harrison capable of developing in.

Would have rather kept it and used it this year for a KPP.
Offensively they are equal.
Defensively, and in respect of commitment, diligence, attitude and focus - Schultz is streets ahead.
It’s no contest.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing now that we know of Brodies massive injury.
We may well have used the pick in a different way if the injury happened 12 months ago.

Defensively.

Not offensively.

Imo it was a costly trade for a position we had Harrison capable of developing in.

Would have rather kept it and used it this year for a KPP.
Yep. Defensive upgrade, offensive break even, probably a loss in terms of link up/midfield capability.

Whilst I think it was still a good move to bring him in, the price was just way too high from a cost/benefit perspective. He was definitely worth last years first, but it’s hurting us badly at the draft/trade table this year unless we can push deep in to finals which is looking unlikely at this point.

Valued Collingwood utility Will Hoskin-Elliott has begun talks on a new deal as veteran teammate Steele Sidebottom remains a live chance of playing into a 17th season.
Hoskin-Elliott has enjoyed a strong season typically plugging gaps for Craig McRae, having filled roles across the forward line, wing and half-back.

He has kicked a goal in eight of his 13 games, while gathering at least 17 touches in three of the other matches.
Sidebottom has played 15 of Collingwood’s 16 games this year and while his numbers have dipped, he has been another important factor across the wing and half-back.

With Scott Pendlebury inching towards a new deal – as revealed by this masthead last month – and Jeremy Howe keen to play on, Collingwood’s three oldest players could each be back next season.
A final decision on Sidebottom is expected later in the year but should he avoid injury and land a new deal, he will be in line to follow Pendlebury as the only Magpies to reach 350 games.

Young ruck Oscar Steene is another Magpie expected to get into contract talks soon.

The uncapped 201cm big man has been sidelined by toe injury for most of this season and has returned to running, with the hope to return to the VFL field late in the season.

With Mason Cox battling injury, Darcy Cameron has been left to shoulder the ruck burden solo for much of this season and the Pies will require ready made ruck depth next year.

Aside from veterans like Sidebottom, Pendlebury and Howe, the Pies have locked in most of their top players for next season, with linebreaker Oleg Markov one notable player without a deal.

Josh Carmichael and Nathan Murphy will both drop of the list, having medically retired due to concussion.

Without Checkers, I'd be inclined to play Johnson for the rest of the year, or until it's obvious he can or can't play. I feel he's a confidence player and needs a consistent run. Time will tell.

We’ve had many years of evidence that shows Johnson is at best a player with a few flashes of brilliance but little impact outside of that, and at worst you’d be better off playing a man down.

I didn’t see his last vfl game, but outside of that his vfl form in general has been embarrassing. They had to remove him from the vfl forward line due to his performance

We’ve had many years of evidence that shows Johnson is at best a player with a few flashes of brilliance but little impact outside of that, and at worst you’d be better off playing a man down.

I didn’t see his last vfl game, but outside of that his vfl form in general has been embarrassing. They had to remove him from the vfl forward line due to his performance
Trade him to Melbourne to play with his cousin Swap of selections

Johnson does not chase. Zero fwd pressure. That's his main fault.
I'm certain they drum this into all the players. Some never listen or learn.
Ginni was the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Johnson does not chase. Zero fwd pressure. That's his main fault.
I'm certain they drum this into all the players. Some never listen or learn.
Ginni was the same.
to his credit, with being much more fitter, Jack has improved in that area this year.

to his credit, with being much more fitter, Jack has improved in that area this year.
I hope so for his future.
Never hated on him. Just thought Schultz is a tad better at everything.
Jack has time on his side. Still a kid.

I hope so for his future.
Never hated on him. Just thought Schultz is a tad better at everything.
Jack has time on his side. Still a kid.
Lots of time.
Schultz was a complete player as you would expect at 26, so thats expected.
Those Jack's age 20/21, there is lots of improvement until they get to their prime, so happy to see him doing well.

Without Checkers, I'd be inclined to play Johnson for the rest of the year, or until it's obvious he can or can't play. I feel he's a confidence player and needs a consistent run. Time will tell.
Agree, if he kicks another 5 goals this week, he'll be in the side next week.

The fact is we have been constantly burnt with future trading.

Schultz is looking like another L in that column.
Many people didn't like the cost of that trade BEFORE the year started.
Schultz was the leading goal kicker for Freo for the 2 years prior to the Pies recruiting him. He was kicking around 30 goals per season (33 goals in 2023).
We were always going to have to cough up more than what was ideal but on the face of it back then, adding Schultz to a Premiership team made us even stronger.
It’s easy to look back in hindsight. I still think our ladder position and draft pick we now have to give up makes the trade look worse than it really is. Even Freo would have been expecting a very late first round pick this year.

List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back