List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Also hoping we stop with our SSP/mid season draft overload strategy. Sick of wasting valuable game time on mature list cloggers like Bytel, Long, Sullivan, even Markov. Much rather pump games into the Harrison's, Richards, Reefs, Macraes etc as its much more enjoyable watching them have potential breakout games/moments.
I really like the Eyre and Smit picks - just what these drafts are about
Eyre may be a bust, but if his hamstrings hang in there, we may have a talented KPP
Smit just looks like the type of ruck a team needs. Let’s hope he continues to develop

I really like the Eyre and Smit picks - just what these drafts are about
Eyre may be a bust, but if his hamstrings hang in there, we may have a talented KPP
Smit just looks like the type of ruck a team needs. Let’s hope he continues to develop
Yea happy to use them to plug holes in our KPPs depth. Trying to get midfielders and flankers with those picks just ends up clogging your list and preventing opportunities going to younger players with talent.

Also hoping we stop with our SSP/mid season draft overload strategy. Sick of wasting valuable game time on mature list cloggers like Bytel, Long, Sullivan, even Markov. Much rather pump games into the Harrison's, Richards, Reefs, Macraes etc as its much more enjoyable watching them have potential breakout games/moments.
you need to stop talking sense!

we're 'ahead' of the curve recruiting from the bottom of the $2 SSP barrel for off-cuts that no one else is interested in.

1st rounders (after #10) & 2nd rounders are apparently a lottery but SSPs are guarantees :oops:

SSP and MSD players are really occupying list spots 36-42 approximately. SSP/MSD should be used as a way to round out a list as required, not to create depth in different positions.

Schultz is a solid enough player but his trade will go down as one of the worst in history. The entire trade period last year was mind boggling.
in the context of the list profile, depth in small forwards coming through (HH, Richards), dearth of any quality KP stocks and lack of emerging midfield talent to support Nick into the future, the strategy was poor, short-sighted & rolling the dice unnecessarily ..rolling over again at the negotiating table extremely disappointing & amateurish

Full back, gun inside mid as top two priorities.
Take a few select fringe players of quality like Lipinski
Play kids on the flanks and pockets to see if they are up to it

What's happened to Lipinski? I thought he was meant to have the potential to be an inside mid? Play on a wing?

He does a couple of nice things but doesn't do enough.

Schultz is a solid enough player but his trade will go down as one of the worst in history. The entire trade period last year was mind boggling.
It's not even a bad trade if we finish where we currently are. Worst in history? There have been a 1000 worse trades.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

in the context of the list profile, depth in small forwards coming through (HH, Richards), dearth of any quality KP stocks and lack of emerging midfield talent to support Nick into the future, the strategy was poor, short-sighted & rolling the dice unnecessarily ..rolling over again at the negotiating table extremely disappointing & amateurish
We just won a premiership. We saw an opportunity to improve our list and try to go back to back. It was always the right call. Just because it probably hasnt worked out doesnt make it the wrong call. Just because b2b is hard doesn't mean you give up on trying. Our list profile was old in 2022 should we have rebuild right before we won the premiership?

Beams, Treloar and Schultz trades cost us six (6) first rounders
The Beams 2018 trade was the only really bad trade out of the 3. Treloar as a player has shown he was worth a good pick maybe even 2. He is still playing like an elite player. The Schultz trade was an okay trade if we finish where we currently are.

Plus I'm not getting the 6 1st rounders from those trades. Maybe you mean 5.

Except Richards and Harrison are already playing over Bytel and Sullivan.

Macrae and Reef will be mature list clogger category soon enough.

Beams, Treloar and Schultz trades cost us six (6) first rounders
Beams was 1 1st rounder as we had Quaynor. Treloar we sort of got a 1st back (Macrae) Schulz is pick 38 (the one after Jiath) which we didnt use and this years 1st which could prove costly. If we finish below Hawks it will be a worry with Ginnivan

In terms of Schulz I think his trade has got us 1 win this year so without him we would be on 32 points.

Didn't strengthen a part of the ground or team that was lacking. Just added to an already strength.

It was an unessecary trade at a risky (high) cost.
The only risk was not finishing high on the ladder this year and nobody could have crystal balled the year we’ve had with injury.
Given our injuries, especially to our forwards, thank Christ we’ve had him.
Its easy in hindsight to judge the trade harshly.

We just won a premiership. We saw an opportunity to improve our list and try to go back to back. It was always the right call. Just because it probably hasnt worked out doesnt make it the wrong call. Just because b2b is hard doesn't mean you give up on trying. Our list profile was old in 2022 should we have rebuild right before we won the premiership?
Small forward wasn’t an area of the list that needed improving given those coming through and I’d argue hasn’t been improved in any real way. If you were bringing in a Jeremy Cameron or Lynch or Dangerfield then I would have agreed with the strategy and risk /reward ..never the case and never worth the effort /price for mine.

None of this is hindsight. Way bigger holes that needed and still need surgery that will bite hard.

The fact so much went right in 2023 allowing us to salute was, for mine, a minor miracle. But the holes in the list were /are there if you wanna look. For mine, it made it more critical that we optimise our 1st & and 2nd rounders at the draft instead of valuing them like cheap confetti.

Have and always will take the view that you always ALWAYS take your 1st rounders to the draft - and will only ever make an exception if shopping in the Cameron, Lynch, Dangerfield part of the market.

Walking and chewing gum at the same time is still doable ..competing deep into finals whilst still drafting in young talent is also still possible.

Thought at the time it was a very very poor decision irrespective of likely EOY ladder position. Bottom 8 finish makes it an even costlier poor decision.

Last edited:
The only risk was not finishing high on the ladder this year and nobody could have crystal balled the year we’ve had with injury.
Given our injuries, especially to our forwards, thank Christ we’ve had him.
Its easy in hindsight to judge the trade harshly.
It was always under the realm of possibility, considering we lost players in the off season, McStay’s long term injury, players on the verge of retirement, and a dearth of young talent. Personally I predicted a slump this year and I’m sure I wouldn’t have been the only one.

Last edited:

List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back