List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

The only risk was not finishing high on the ladder this year and nobody could have crystal balled the year we’ve had with injury.
Given our injuries, especially to our forwards, thank Christ we’ve had him.
Its easy in hindsight to judge the trade harshly.
It was easy to judge at the time. Schultz was not some gun that was worthy of a first and second round pick especially one that had the risk of being high if we fell off the cliff.

Plenty of posters including myself hated it at the time. Didn't need hindsight.

Small forward wasn’t an area of the list that needed improving given those coming through and I’d argue hasn’t been improved in any real way. If you were bringing in a Jeremy Cameron or Lynch or Dangerfield then I would have agreed with the strategy and risk /reward ..never the case and never worth the effort /price for mine.

None of this is hindsight. Way bigger holes that needed and still need surgery that will bite hard.

The fact so much went right in 2023 allowing us to salute was, for mine, a minor miracle. But the holes in the list were /are there if you wanna look. For mine, it made it more critical that we optimise our 1st & and 2nd rounders at the draft instead of valuing them like cheap confetti.

Have and always will take the view that you always ALWAYS take your 1st rounders to the draft - and will only ever make an exception if shopping in the Cameron, Lynch, Dangerfield part of the market.

Walking and chewing gum at the same time is still doable ..competing deep into finals whilst still drafting in young talent is also still possible.

Thought at the time it was a very very poor decision irrespective of likely EOY ladder position. Bottom 8 finish makes it an even costlier poor decision.
Absolutely this. Hope we stop seeing ourselves as some sort of trade geniuses just because we managed to get Hill for a second rounder and back ourselves in the draft which built the majority of our elite core for the premiership.

Outs:

Retire: Pendles, Howe, Sidey
Trade: McCreery, AJ
Delist: Begg, Bytel

Why are people retiring all 3? I find that very strange. I hope people are not blaming these 3 for our poor performances? What about Mitchell? I wouldn't be surprised if Cox retired given his run with injuries.

Howe is better at his role than any of the wannabe challengers.

Up for trade - McCreery, AJ (agree on those although will be a delisting based on trading Ginni for peanuts) but I still maintain Markov, Noble, even Lipinski should be up for trade. Finlay is probably a bust as well. May as well trade Ryan.

It's also time to shake up the coaching department.

Schultz is a solid enough player but his trade will go down as one of the worst in history. The entire trade period last year was mind boggling.
We're feeling the hurt of the mismanagement of the list and salary cap from end of 2018 onwards. Grundy overpaid (could have kept Witts on much less coin), Treloar traded (would have thrived under McRae), Trading for a broken man in Beams.

We're feeling the hurt of the mismanagement of the list and salary cap from end of 2018 onwards. Grundy overpaid (could have kept Witts on much less coin), Treloar traded (would have thrived under McRae), Trading for a broken man in Beams.
Getting rid of Witts.... 👎👎

Trading in Beams - OMFG 👹👹💩💩😥😥

Last season for Sidey, Howe, Begg, Bytel & AJ.

In: Fiorini, Keane, Stone, W.Phillips & S. Berry.

I’m dreaming, but such is life.
What are you paying (draft wise) to bring them in?

Stone might be an option but our best chance there would be to try to bring in 2x yet-to-peak players from GWS for a future pick
But I think we’re well aware of what happens when we trade our future firsts

Outs:

Retire: Pendles, Howe, Sidey
Trade: McCreery, AJ
Delist: Begg, Bytel

Macrae could be on the trade list.
We may have to look at another player or two that we may not expected to be traded in order to get back into the early part of the draft.
Howe l would go another season, Pendles l would make it his call and Sidey, l believe is already seeking a new 1 year deal. Personally l wouldn't be going down that route with Sidey, and giving a legend of our club, a terrific send off in Round 24 this season.

Sidey and WHE are negotiating another 1 year deal each...
They are both worth keeping. Howe as well. They are still quality and have the leadership experience to set the right culture and expectations on the training track and in games. Mass culling of veterans is how you end up in the North situation.

It's the list cloggers like Bytel, Long, Markov, Begg etc that need to go first. We need to stop kidding ourselves about topping up with mature age SSPs instead of investing in the draft.

Last edited:
They are both worth keeping. Howe as well. They are still quality and have the leadership experience to set the right culture and expectations on the training track and in games. Mass culling of veterans is how you end up in the North situation.

It's the list cloggers like Bytel, Long, Markov, Begg etc that need to go first. We need to stop kidding ourselves about topping up with mature age SSPs instead of investing in the draft.
Agree.
They don’t need to play 24 H&A games

Agree on Bytel, Begg, Markov, I'd give Long another preseason, jury's out on Sullivan.
Let's stock up on youngsters rather than taking up list spots with delisted players, obviously delisted for a reason.
We need to change things up and bring in an aggressive, shrewd list manager.

There are some interesting calls here. I'd say we just attempt to front up again in 2025 with a similar team. Definitely look at Alex Davies, Mark Keane would be good too. Add those to what we have and go again.

The comp is even, who knows, we may be able to snag another flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree on Bytel, Begg, Markov, I'd give Long another preseason, jury's out on Sullivan.
Let's stock up on youngsters rather than taking up list spots with delisted players, obviously delisted for a reason.
We need to change things up and bring in an aggressive, shrewd list manager.
I get that recruiting strategy this year, delisted young players instead of speculative rookie picks. 2-3 injuries and they’d be able to come in and play a role and also add mature bodies to our VFL side. 15+ injuries and playing a lot of these players together in the seniors is a different beast.

In hindsight we should have signed Long in the preseason and taken someone else in the midseason draft.

That's the dilemma. Do we keep giving games to guys who only have 1 season left in them or is it time to give continuity at senior level to Jiath, Dean, Sullivan, Richards, McInnes, DeMattia, Long etc...
Sidey is a legend, but l'm not sure about going back to the well with him in '25. He has slowed down alot obviously, and he has the need to quickly dump kick these days, to compensate for that lack of pace to get away from opponents.
WHE has had a good year, l think and should get another year. I think we go with Howe, and l would let Pendles make the call on his career.

What’s the interest in berry? Fiorini prob still worth a look as he’d be an upgrade on macrae, Sullivan, long etc. not the solution but a slight upgrade

Currently going through the 2023 draft / trade thread - makes very interesting reading
Even journos thought we'd only be paying 2023 1st / maybe 2024 2nd for Schultz - some posters thinking even in this case that a pick might come back our way.
Most posts say they want Schultz - but not at a future first price

The 2023 thread won’t let me quote / reply into this 2024 thread so I’ve had to screen shot (if I’m not allowed to do this - mods please delete)

IMG_8389.jpeg

Keane would be the only one of any interest in that lot....
For different reasons it’s a pity we weren’t able to retain Keane and Tohill. A couple of 24 year old key position players would be nice.

Why are people retiring all 3? I find that very strange. I hope people are not blaming these 3 for our poor performances? What about Mitchell? I wouldn't be surprised if Cox retired given his run with injuries.

Howe is better at his role than any of the wannabe challengers.

Up for trade - McCreery, AJ (agree on those although will be a delisting based on trading Ginni for peanuts) but I still maintain Markov, Noble, even Lipinski should be up for trade. Finlay is probably a bust as well. May as well trade Ryan.

It's also time to shake up the coaching department.

Pendles, Sidey and Howe are out of contract. Mitchell and Cox are under contract til 2025.

AJ is under contract, so the only option is trading - perhaps to SA with McCreery.

Unrestricted free agents, best part, they are FREE...

James Borlase DEF 22 next year
Taylor Walker FWD 35 next year...still playing good footy, but fills a spot we want for a year or 2.
Isaac Cumming DEF 26 next year
Nick Haynes DEF 33 next year...still a good defender
Conor Nash MID 26 next year
Harry Morrison MID 26 next year
Jack Gunston FWD 33 next year...younger than T Walker 😆
Adam Tomlinson DEF 31 next year
Tom McDonald DEF 32 next year
Toby Pink DEF 26 next year
Jack Graham MID 27 next year
Josh Battle DEF 26 next year...I think we all want him

Not sure on the other unrestricted players.
What is everyone's thoughts on FREE, short term, gap fillers until we can obtain/afford (draft picks) gun players, whether young (20-23) stuck behind others in the VFL or Harley Reid type players?
Getting some of these, as well as maybe trading in a young, potential gun player with our limited picks is all I see atm.
We better not trade any future firsts!
Then there's Keane...only if he's cheap, otherwise he can wait till next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back