List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Unrestricted free agents, best part, they are FREE...

James Borlase DEF 22 next year
Taylor Walker FWD 35 next year...still playing good footy, but fills a spot we want for a year or 2.
Isaac Cumming DEF 26 next year
Nick Haynes DEF 33 next year...still a good defender
Conor Nash MID 26 next year
Harry Morrison MID 26 next year
Jack Gunston FWD 33 next year...younger than T Walker 😆
Adam Tomlinson DEF 31 next year
Tom McDonald DEF 32 next year
Toby Pink DEF 26 next year
Jack Graham MID 27 next year
Josh Battle DEF 26 next year...I think we all want him

Not sure on the other unrestricted players.
What is everyone's thoughts on FREE, short term, gap fillers until we can obtain/afford (draft picks) gun players, whether young (20-23) stuck behind others in the VFL or Harley Reid type players?
Getting some of these, as well as maybe trading in a young, potential gun player with our limited picks is all I see atm.
We better not trade any future firsts!
Then there's Keane...only if he's cheap, otherwise he can wait till next year.
Of that lot I’d be interested in Cumming, Battle, Borlase and Conor Nash. All help plug a hole and all would improve our team

Didn't strengthen a part of the ground or team that was lacking. Just added to an already strength.

It was an unessecary trade at a risky (high) cost.
Strength ? Ginnivan was a liability. He had no urgency, diligence or focus.
Joey was off the radar with ordinary form, and a delist candidate for many.

Hopefully he returns, but he did offer his resignation prior to his sabbatical.
Don’t think we can assume he is locked in.
As for Simpson, he is a quality coach who will be very sort after in 2025.
I know it's school holidays, we lost last night, you're depressed and spent the night on the porch contemplating life......

But FFS it's "much sought after"

We're feeling the hurt of the mismanagement of the list and salary cap from end of 2018 onwards. Grundy overpaid (could have kept Witts on much less coin), Treloar traded (would have thrived under McRae), Trading for a broken man in Beams.
I don’t remember you lamenting the Witt’s trade when Grundy was picking up AA’s.
Hindsight is wonderful thing.

The only risk was not finishing high on the ladder this year and nobody could have crystal balled the year we’ve had with injury.
Given our injuries, especially to our forwards, thank Christ we’ve had him.
Its easy in hindsight to judge the trade harshly.

Mate you keep saying the hindsight call but many of us were against the cost from the outset.

We just disagree on it, A) the need to add him and B) that it was a non risky call.

The list was going in as one of if not oldest with not a lot of yourh outside of ND and Harrison showing AFL grade potential (even as of yet there are wuestions over a lot of them).
We whilst the best side of that season had half our years wins by under 12 points.
This alone says we could go either way not just due to injuries but desire, form, ageing bodies, teams working us out.

Given we finished top there was more chance of a drop then going B2B which in general is a very hard feat in AFL.

I have nothing against him as a player just the cost to acquire him.

Why are people retiring all 3? I find that very strange. I hope people are not blaming these 3 for our poor performances? What about Mitchell? I wouldn't be surprised if Cox retired given his run with injuries.

Howe is better at his role than any of the wannabe challengers.

Up for trade - McCreery, AJ (agree on those although will be a delisting based on trading Ginni for peanuts) but I still maintain Markov, Noble, even Lipinski should be up for trade. Finlay is probably a bust as well. May as well trade Ryan.

It's also time to shake up the coaching department.
Yeh the Coaching Department has brought on the longest injury in a decade. They definitely need a shake up.

See the problem is you are also sending that message to Nick Daicos.

Imo you can't waste 3 years of his career.
Mate he's only like 20/21.
He won't even be in his prime in 3-4 years.

Won't hurt Nick to be in a lesser like team for a few years while we do a mini rebuild.

We just need to not get him banged up and lose years off the end of his career.

On SM-A556E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Of that lot I’d be interested in Cumming, Battle, Borlase and Conor Nash. All help plug a hole and all would improve our team
I agree with your choice. As far as a key fwd goes, I think it's worth a punt on an aging fella to fill a gap or at least have depth in the goal kicking capacity. Since they don't pick up any in the draft and no guns want to come to us, it maybe a shrewd move. Could make all the difference, look at our injuries this year, it could be a blessing in disguise if we are decimated with injuries next year.

20 20 hindsight GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Outs:

Retire: Pendles, Howe, Sidey
Trade: McCreery, AJ
Delist: Begg, Bytel
At least we'd surely secure the first overall pick next year with those delistongs.....
There are too many reiterments there.
Maybe one of those three, we need to play Pendles at least to have his guidance for another year for the new wave of players.

McCreery trade, depends on what he could bring. We have missed his intensity since injured. Would prefer we keep him.

AJ see what's on offer, open to it for sure.

Beg & Bytel yep.

At least we'd surely secure the first overall pick next year with those delistongs.....
Maybe one of those three, we need to play Pendles at least to have his guidance for another year for the new wave of players.

McCreery trade, depends on what he could bring. We have missed his intensity since injured. Would prefer we keep him.

Beg & Bytel yep.

Wouldn't trade McCreery at all, should be a no touch player given sub 25 yo.

He adds aggression and physicality that when he's out we noticeably lack.

Like I said, where were your howls of protest about this, when Grundy was winning AA’s.
Now all of a sudden it’s an issue!!
Common on Loki get real mate.
There was certainly howls of protest when we then traded the multiple AA winning Grundy for a second round pick.

Two AA quality ruckman traded away for peanuts. Whilst our rucks continually get dominated and we get smashed in clearances

There was certainly howls of protest when we then traded the multiple AA winning Grundy for a second round pick.

Two AA quality ruckman traded away for peanuts. Whilst our rucks continually get dominated and we get smashed in clearances
I didn’t want to trade Grundy.
But we won a flag with Cox and Cameron while freeing up cap space, so I can’t say it’s been a bad trade.

Cameron didn’t get dominated last night.
Cox missing obviously has an impact, and Steene and Begg injured further complicates the issue.

I really like the Eyre and Smit picks - just what these drafts are about
Eyre may be a bust, but if his hamstrings hang in there, we may have a talented KPP
Smit just looks like the type of ruck a team needs. Let’s hope he continues to develop

I haven't seen much of Eyre to commentate on him even highlights tbh, but I really like the look of Smit as a future physical leaping ruck option from the little I've seen.

I didn’t want to trade Grundy.
But we won a flag with Cox and Cameron while freeing up cap space, so I can’t say it’s been a bad trade.

Cameron didn’t get dominated last night.
Cox missing obviously has an impact, and Steene and Begg injured further complicates the issue.

Grundys ridiculous contract made it that way.

Cameron got a lot of HOs last night but mostly to the opposition. Correctable issue.

Where he struggles is vs the 206 to 210cm rucks typically. Cox is needed for them.

Beg & Bytel yep.

We need at least two retirements per year due to the logjam of older players.

Personally I’ve moved on from the trade, what’s done is done.
However, a number of factors were considered when doing it.
Culture, clearly Ginni rubbed, (sorry Pablo) people the wrong way and Schultz is an upstanding citizen.
We brought Schulz in to fit into our game plan and clearly not knowing we’d have the injuries we have.
When at the game, (last night not so good) it is abundantly clear what he brings to the team.
Last week for example the amount of running for no personal reward was astounding.
He is a machine, runs through pain and is very team oriented.
Those things don’t show up in stats and to simply rely on them is not doing him justice.

PS: End of rant and not a crack at you personally - been holding it in for weeks 😉

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back