List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Caleb Daniel ain’t the solution (nor part thereof) to our lack of run & ability to move it from D50 and he would get mercilessly exposed down back defensively, as has happened at the Bulldogs.

Our zonal defence doesn’t mitigate his lack of height, it exacerbates it. If you play 1v1 man-on-man (which hardly anyone does anymore) you pick the guy that matches your height /weight /mobility etc and go and defend him. Even if you’re taken to the goals-square at least you have the best ‘physical match’ available from the oppo’s attack. If, however, you play a step-forward /next-man-roll defence, which we do, then you could roll across to guard or defend someone taller & heavier than you. One of the reasons why Noble was dropped end of last year bc he consistently became the weak link in a rolling defensive chain. Daniels likewise, would be a massive weakness in this style of system defence.

In any event, before you spend $750k /year on a non-key part of the rebuild jigsaw, Joey Richards could easily play a similar distribution role from half-back at one-fifth of the price.

Ps: our rebound D50 isn’t currently the issue, we’re still heavily skewed scoring profile wise in D50 transition goals.

What’s fallen away heavily is
i. leaking goals in transition (system defence from f50 to d50 is broken);
ii. getting destroyed at CB & losing clearance (Pendles too slow; JDG lacking defensive intent) and
iii. inability to gain or sustain territory (playing Coxless and with such an under-sized forward line means we don’t have a down-the-line marking option or presence to aerially contest & bring the ball to ground ..therefore getting stuck in our D50 with repeat entry after repeat entry).

The lack of marking talls also means we have only one route to exit our d50 and that is through run ‘n gun chaos style, either by hand or foot. Oppo teams know this and are shutting it down /pressuring us until we give it back. The lack of a get out of jail tall option (Kreuger can’t mark above his head; WHE is ok one-out but is a flanker punching outside his weight division, Reef is played for 30 seconds at end of games etc) is really hampering our ability to move the ball and control the ball.
McStay coming back in to the side will help with the last part

I think we'll still be in trying to win the flag mode. So I'm expecting a couple of top ups.

The hard thing is going to be creating list space. I think we've stuffed up with a couple of extensions - Johnson and Macrae - in particular. I don't think we'll want to keep them and will struggle to find a new home for either of them.
There might be a team out there for Macrae with a different style of play, not sure but AJ seems a bust.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a few retirements at the end of this year.

i really think Reef should be given all games to show his wares for rest of season.

I dont have more detail but hes sitting only 9 goals behind our top goal scorer in Bobby, Reefs been on dribs and drabs minutes too. Quite interesting

Our forward line continuity has been a shambles through injury. Its a shame but i dont think we should be turning on the Schultz trade without keeping that in mind. Nor the posters out for Bobby for his hair colour change/flairy plays. Look at the bigger picture when rating our forwards this year

Bailey Smith

The most high-profile of the out-of-contract Bulldogs heading into the end of 2024, it’s no secret that Bailey Smith has plans to leave the Kennel. Context on his future was provided by Channel 9’s Tom Morris earlier this month, who reported Luke Beveridge’s club have conceded he will have a new home in 2025.

“For now, they’re preparing for life without Bailey Smith who is back from Europe, and will soon decide between Geelong and Hawthorn,” Morris said to 9News.

Collingwood were initially thought to be in the race for the star 23-year-old, but seem to have gotten lost in the growing interest from Hawthorn and appeal of Geelong. At the time of writing, it’s a coin flip on where the midfielder will land out of the Cats and Hawks.

Dayne Zorko

The former Lions captain has been in scintillating form in 2024, and is widely considered a chance for his second-ever All-Australian blazer. Speaking exclusively to foxfooty.com.au’s Jack Jovanovski last month, Zorko expressed that he “wants to play on” beyond this year.

“I’m just happy to play whatever role I need to for the team. If that requires me to go forward at some stage, or in the midfield, I’m more than happy to do it.”

Zorko has signed multiple one-year deals to extend his stay at the Lions before, with that trend to continue should he reach a 14th year at the club.

Cameron Zurhaar

In a pleasant surprise for Kangaroos fans, midfield-forward bull Cam Zurhaar is now expected to stay at Arden Street, despite heavy speculation the 26-year-old may look at joining a second club at the end of his current contract. But according to Tom Morris on SEN’s Crunch Time, the script seems to have flipped.

“My information is that there’s increasing confidence that he’ll now stay,” Morris saidon Sunday morning.

“There’s no signature, there’s nothing formal, but I am now prepared to say that it would be a big surprise if he played anywhere but North Melbourne next year.”

The 115-gamer has been in particularly strong form the last five weeks, with the club’s recent incline in form looking to have helped his drift towards re-signing with the Roos.

Harry Perryman

One of the more intriguing trade stories to come out of 2024 so far is Harry Perryman, who has all of a sudden become hunted by multiple clubs. As reported earlier this month by AFL.com.au’s Callum Twomey, Perryman has been tabled a five-year contract by his current club the Giants, with both SA clubs and Hawthorn providing hot competition for the 25-year-old. The Hawks’ interest in Josh Battle and Bailey Smith may work in favour of the Giants, Crows and Power however, with Perryman the third priority for Hawthorn behind Bailey Smith and Josh Battle. And while there’s still no certainty on his whereabouts in 2025, he’s definitely a storyline worth following in the coming weeks. With genuine midfield time at Port Adelaide unlikely, he might be best staying at the Giants.

Isaac Cumming

The 25-year-old defender made his return to the top-level against Adelaide in Round 16, who as foxfooty.com.au understands, shapes as a player who could potentially be poached in the upcoming trade period. The Crows, along with Collingwood, see the out-of-contract Giant as someone they can acquire, with GWS still yet to make inroads - despite their interest in re-signing him dating back to the very start of 2024. And if the Dockers miss out on Liam Baker, would they all of a sudden flag their interest? Uncertainty no doubt looms over Cumming; albeit mainly due to his lack of football at senior level this year. Word on his whereabouts beyond this year have been kept very quiet, which is fair given his want to get back on the park and simply play his best footy.

Josh Battle

Undoubtedly the hottest Saint on the market right now, the battle for Battle has only ramped up in recent weeks as a red-hot Hawks close in on the defender. According to multiple sources, Hawthorn has reportedly offered the 25-year-old a six-year contract on good coin – an offer that might just be too good for St Kilda and Battle to refuse. With the Moorabbin-based club holding fire on a plethora of out-of-contract players, the suspense around him moving on from his club of eight years is only growing. Fox Footy’s Jon Ralph reported on Friday night that the Hawks may need to pay as much as $950K a year, in a move that could allow captain James Sicily to play as a swingman and not just a key defender.

Liam Baker

There’s been a lot of talk about Baker’s future at Punt Road, with his supposed whereabouts of late moving like the wind. The race looks almost certainly down to three clubs: Richmond, Fremantle and West Coast – and the Tigers right now probably don’t love their chances. The Dockers clearly have the more superior draft hand of the two rival clubs, and could well force the hand of Adam Yze’s list management with an offer too good to refuse. In saying that, it looks like his preference might lay at the Eagles over the Dockers in an interesting twist as per the Herald Sun’s Jon Ralph. With a management team that has kept their cards very close to their chest, it’s hard to know for sure what Baker will do; but a fresh start back in his home state of Western Australia feels more likely than not. The Eagles seem the likeliest of the trio to gain his services, but there’s still a lot to play out.
Lloyd Meek

The former Docker has been in career-best form so far this year, and looks set to receive a worthy extension from Hawthorn after seemingly taking the number one ruck spot over teammate Ned Reeves. An every-so-slight tweak in a ruck rule change on the eve of this season has worked greatly in favour of Meek, as he averages a touch under 35 hitouts a game in 2024 – nearly double his average from last year. After playing 29 games in his year and a half at the club, foxfooty.com.au understands that there’s no need for Hawks fans to fret due to a lack of signature – there’s no indication the 203cm tall will leave Waverley Park.

Matt Guelfi

Having set the Bombers alight for parts of 2024, a lively Guelfi is surprisingly still out of contract beyond this year. As foxfooty.com.au reported back in May, both parties were willing to wait until after their Round 14 bye before taking discussions further. A loyal player who has traditionally been selfless in his on-field role at the club, it would be a surprise to see Guelfi leaves Tullamarine for a second AFL club. Cards are being held particularly close to the chest when it comes to word on a contract extension, but Essendon fans will certainly hope Guelfi stays put under Brad Scott in 2025. Expect him to sign on in the not-too distant future.

Patrick Dangerfield

In a shock to no one, Patrick Dangerfield won’t be anywhere else but Geelong in 2025 – despite remaining out of contract heading into Round 17. Despite puzzling reports of an Adelaide Crows ‘Hail Mary’ to bring back the eight-time All-Australian to his maiden club, there will be no shock switch from Dangerfield. It truly is just a matter of when, and not if – and when he does re-sign, how long for? The club would obviously extend the eight-time All-Australian for one season in a heartbeat, but when asked about re-signing until the end of 2026, the Cat was very transparent. “That is the conversation to be frank,” Dangerfield told SEN. “I haven’t had any in depth conversations around that just yet but I am comfortable with where things are at and the club are,” he added. As a club captain who - when fit - is more than good enough to play another two seasons, it feels more likely than unlikely he’ll get his desired two-year extension.

Scott Pendlebury

After speculation on his future, Pendlebury hinted to ABC Sport last Friday night that he would play on for another year, saying that was ‘in talks’ for a contract extension. Only in 2020 during COVID has the 36-year-old played less than 16 games in a season since his debut season all the way back in 2006; evidence that the on-baller is still clearly in Collingwood’s best side. His future beyond this year is far less up in the air than what it was a couple of months ago, but how the Magpies close out 2024 could also be a deciding factor in his decision.

Taylor Walker

Not for the first time, the whereabouts of star Crow Taylor Walker has been reportedly up in the air during the season of an expiring contract. Reports surfaced last month that the 34-year-old could be open to a move outside of South Australia. However, foxfooty.com.au understands that something would have to change drastically for the 2023 All-Australian to leave his club of 16 years, despite speculation he could land elsewhere if the Crows sit on the fence long enough. Expect the Crows to give him a one-year extension towards the end of the season or retire, with his output more than serviceable beyond 2024. With Thilthorpe making a successful return from injury against St Kilda, hopefully the heavy load can finally be eased off Walker for at least one more year of football.

Tim English

The 208cm giant is viewed by some as the most ‘gettable’ All-Australian on the market, but which rival besides West Coast has made their want for him public? The tall would also slot in well at Adelaide, Geelong and Port Adelaide, but are they willing to offer the contract he desires? Foxfooty.com.au understands that West Coast’s interest in the All-Australian ruck has cooled down in recent times, with his hopes for a long-term contract a slight deterrent despite his damaging output. There is a world where he’s playing for his trade value at the moment, but with a sizeable offer from the Bulldogs in front of him, it would be a surprise if he turned down the security of their five-year deal.

Other big names still out of contract beyond 2024: Dustin Martin, Jake Stringer, Mason Wood, Steele Sidebottom, Dyson Heppell, Ben Ainsworth, Changkuoth Jiath, Jack Martin, Ollie Henry, Riley Garcia

There might be a team out there for Macrae with a different style of play, not sure but AJ seems a bust.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a few retirements at the end of this year.
I don’t think you want everyone retiring at same time. Ideally a couple this year , a couple in 2025 and a couple in 2026
Eg
Cox and Howe
Sidebottom and Pendles
Mitchell and Elliott

Really warming to having Cumming on a back flank in 2025

No mention of Conor Nash in that article, though I'd be surprised if he did leave.

Really warming to having Cumming on a back flank in 2025

No mention of Conor Nash in that article, though I'd be surprised if he did leave.
We definitely need a half back like Cumming. Since Howe has lost a yard of pace , we have really struggled to match up on that athletic forward with a bit of height

I'd love us to add a kpd to upgrade Frampton. Shift WHE back to release Maynard into more of a flanker role and add Daniel or someone else who can kick it better than what we've got in the back half atm.
I think Frampton remains an important part of our backline. He has shown that he's capable playing as a lockdown defender on the opposition's biggest forwards. Adding another capable KPD should assist him and allow us to better utilise Moore.

I prefer WHE forward as (like Howe) he tends to provide opposition backlines and coaches with a conundrum in that he's able to lead up to the ball carrier but is also very capable floating across a pack and taking an overhead mark.

Maynard's a great utility in the back half for us. His game has suffered a little this season with the loss of Murphy and the lack of continuity due to injuries, although he's not Robinson Crusoe in that regard.

I think Frampton remains an important part of our backline. He has shown that he's capable playing as a lockdown defender on the opposition's biggest forwards. Adding another capable KPD should assist him and allow us to better utilise Moore.

I prefer WHE forward as (like Howe) he tends to provide opposition backlines and coaches with a conundrum in that he's able to lead up to the ball carrier but is also very capable floating across a pack and taking an overhead mark.

Maynard's a great utility in the back half for us. His game has suffered a little this season with the loss of Murphy and the lack of continuity due to injuries, although he's not Robinson Crusoe in that regard.
Think Bruzzy like a few other senior players just isn’t as fit this year and not covering the ground as well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's becoming ironic that we need a good quality HBF or two and Hine keeps picking HBF but they don't look like making it. TJ looks like the only potential good one that we have. Anyway, that's my vent for the month
I reckon Parker looks the goods too. He'll benefit from an actual afl pre-season

Humphries and Dempsey are two that come to mind right away. It's not my job to pick players, I can only comment on what we have
Dempsey ( who really isn’t a HBF) was not in the same draft year as Ryan.
Humphries at pick 63 was highly speculative and will be a lottery win for Geel. Demattia at pick 25 was always a safer choice on exposed form than Humphries.
You can’t credibly snipe at Hine without having evidence to prove your point. And without evidence “commenting on what we have” has no context.
Without evidence, you’re like all the others here who offer vacuous and irrational criticism of Hine.
I think you’re far better than them.

He finished 4th in the WB BnF as recently as last year. And has consistently been in the top 5-6 BnF finishers at the Dogs for the last 7 years.

You don't lose that talent and ability so quickly at the age of 28. He's simply out of favour because Bevo has decided to go in a different direction. Not too dissimilar to Mitchell at the Hawks. He's exactly the type of undervalued gun that (hopefully) we can target for cheap.
In the normal world it is not rare for a footballer to decline at 28.

Which available HBF’s should he have picked instead?
Lachie Cowan taken at pick 30 instead of Ryan (pick 28) was the one he should have taken ..said it at the time, even more obvious now.

Cowan is 188cm / 82+ kgs, hard, fast, powerful, defensively disciplined, good in the air / on the ground, good skills, has played 7 senior games in 2023 and 11 games in 2024 (has been staple in Carlton back-6 since round 7).

He projects as someone that could play wing or move on-ball as he gets more experience.

Ryan on the other hand looks meek, plodder, weak in the contest, chip kicks sideways / backwards ..a mile off it.

Lachie Cowan taken at pick 30 instead of Ryan (pick 28) was the one he should have taken ..said it at the time, even more obvious now.

Cowan is 188cm / 82+ kgs, hard, fast, powerful, defensively disciplined, good in the air / on the ground, good skills, has played 7 senior games in 2023 and 11 games in 2024 (has been staple in Carlton back-6 since round 7).

He projects as someone that could play wing or move on-ball as he gets more experience.

Ryan on the other hand looks meek, plodder, weak in the contest, chip kicks sideways / backwards ..a mile off it.
Hopefully the eeyores know that on top of that, Carlton used our own pick after swapping with us 😃

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back