List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't give up McCreery even if it got Butters.
Butters is very courageous for such a small guy and is frequently injured - including the nerve injury a few seasons ago that almost ended his career.
I think he’ll struggle to keep up his peak performance and suspect his best will be behind him when he signs his next contract.
I’m also concerned that in our last few meetings he’s lacked influence and they were big games, which makes me doubt if he’s a big game player.

Last edited:
Given Beau's from SA, I can understand why his name is being thrown up, although we have a number of other SA players on the list.

Do Port need his type, or would they benefit from someone else? Rumours are circulating around Houston which, if he were to leave, would create a hole in their backline. Would Noble be an option as someone who offers them some run out of the backline?

I'd be loathe to lose Beau, even if it were for someone like Butters, as his skillset is quite unique in our team. If Port were to ask for a small forward, Harrison may be another alternative.

In any scenario, we're almost certainly giving up draft picks; before committing I'd look to close the loop on LDU, as he wouldn't cost a draft pick and would allow us to keep assets like Beau and Harrison.
LDU >>>> Butters

If we get Butters, i'd drive McCreery to adelaide. We would be crazy to turn that down. Nick and Butters would set up our midfield for the next decade.

To alike with ND.

McCreery is a genuine beast and with the right development would be an explosive hard nut mid. As it is he brings the heat and makes opposition hear footsteps.

IMO people underestimate the loss of Adams and to a degree even Ginni impact they brought to the team, Adams intensity hardness and hard running, Ginnis timely clutch moments that swing games he may of had a mare GF and even a down year but he still contributed to our HnA record.

McCreery is another I think people underestimate the impact of him being out of the current side, defensively and attack at man/ball, the impact that has on opposition and his propensity to bob up and sprint 50m then bang a 60m kick inside 50 to advantage is a huge loss to the dynamics of this side.

Butters is a great player but I’d rather that come not at the expense on a 23 yo McCreery a rare hard nut with strength and explosive power.

To alike with ND.

McCreery is a genuine beast and with the right development would be an explosive hard nut mid. As it is he brings the heat and makes opposition hear footsteps.

IMO people underestimate the loss of Adams and to a degree even Ginni impact they brought to the team, Adams intensity hardness and hard running, Ginnis timely clutch moments that swing games he may of had a mare GF and even a down year but he still contributed to our HnA record.

McCreery is another I think people underestimate the impact of him being out of the current side, defensively and attack at man/ball, the impact that has on opposition and his propensity to bob up and sprint 50m then bang a 60m kick inside 50 to advantage is a huge loss to the dynamics of this side.

Butters is a great player but I’d rather that come not at the expense on a 23 yo McCreery a rare hard nut with strength and explosive power.
Yeah, fair enough but butters is a very good player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a no brainer to me. if you can get butters, you get him
I think it needs to be balanced with considerations of what else is obtainable.

If LDU or Finn Callaghan is available in 2026 and Sam Berry in 2025, I'd prefer to add two of those players to the list rather than Butters, particularly if it meant that we retain McCreery or someone else who we would prefer to retain, as well as draft picks.

Simply ludicrous to suggest you wouldn’t trade McCreery for Butters. Butters is a top 10 mid in the league. McCreery isn’t a top 100 forward

It was suggested 2 x firsts and McCreery.

I would not do that trade.

Also Butters is a great player but there are other ways to get it done and McCreery imo should be locked in as part of the post Pendles/Sidey/Howe/Eliott/Miho build.

We have a dearth of sub 23 yo talent on the list and you want to punt a genuine one.

We have the oldest list in the AFL as it is.

McCreery not a top 100 fwd you are having a laugh.

Butters is very courageous for such a small guy and is frequently injured - including the nerve injury a few seasons ago that also ended his career.
I think he’ll struggle to keep up his peak performance and suspect his best will be behind him when he signs his next contract.
I’m also concerned that in our last few meetings he’s lacked influence and they were big games, which makes me doubt if he’s a big game player.
Someone needs to tell him that a nerve injury a few seasons ago ended his career. He'll be gutted

It was suggested 2 x firsts and McCreery.

I would not do that trade.

Also Butters is a great player but there are other ways to get it done and McCreery imo should be locked in as part of the post Pendles/Sidey/Howe/Eliott/Miho build.

We have a dearth of sub 23 yo talent on the list and you want to punt a genuine one.

We have the oldest list in the AFL as it is.

McCreery not a top 100 fwd you are having a laugh.

the first post was 1 first and mcreery

Nick Daicos is our Butters! what you need is players who compliment him.

They are opposites as players. Butters (or LDU) is what Nick needs.

Cal Twomey says a lot of clubs are trying to trade future picks in to the 2024 draft because of it’s incredible depth
Says the 2024 draft may not have the superstar top 5 talent but is a super draft in terms of depth. Says there will be players drafted in 40’s this year who would have gone in 20’s in prior years

Be interesting what measures we use to try and get back in to this draft
I swear this is said every year. The year after the current draft is always apparently better.

Nick Daicos is our Butters! what you need is players who compliment him.

I think you're underestimating how complete Nick is going to become. He'll become the best inside mid in the league as well as being incredible on the spread - Nick and anyone good will be an outstanding duo.

It would be 2 firsts and Beau

I’d hope not. At least not straight out without something decent coming back.

Especially since both our future firsts could easily be, and looking likely to be, top 10 picks.

Dayne Beams + pick 67 for Pick 5, Pick 25 + Mr Steak Knives is a fairly good guide.

Personally I don’t think Butters is better than Beams was at the time

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back