List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

No-one really knows the dynamic between coaches (within that group too), recruiters and list managers - the roles probably vary slightly between each club - and then the issue of personalities comes into play....
Yeah, it would vary beteen clubs, i would imagine Fly and GW would work closely together, but untimately, the decisions would be up to GW, but that's just a guess,i could be very wrong, but Fly comes across as a person who trusts people to do their jobs.

..... some clubs have even been known to have a president that interferes in these matters - imagine that 👹
I PMSL at this.

Image that conversation.

Ahh ... Lachie we know we worked hard to trade you in last year.... but we just spoke with a few of our delusional supporters and they are in favour of trading you out again. So we are going to offer you to Carlton because they need a small forward and our supporters prefer a speculative draft pick. Maybe we can get their 1st rounder that might be about pick 20...... Yeah I know pick 20 is hit and miss ..... yeah I know you are a sure thing to play about 100 games for us at a high level..... yeah I'm sorry mate once we lose a few games a few of our less smart supporters go all wacky and start thinking like they are on the titanic..... yeah I know we are not North Melbourne....
I think the conversation would be more like:

GW: Hey Carlton do you want Schultz for your first rounder?

Carlton: Lol p!ss off. We're not dumb enough to trade out a first rounder for a good role player. He's worth our second round at best.

GW: Ok... but how about we swap our future firsts whilst we're at it?

I can take has missing the finals this year, we've had a tough run and the competition is tight.

But what infuriates me is our trading and list management. We should have been harder on the future first to Freo and even swapping of picks with Ginni.

I don't know whether its arrogance, but we did the same thing a year before the Daicos draft and gifted GWS a top 5 pick

How good is this years draft? If it’s exceptional and we are trying to get back into the top end then we will have to give up quality if we want to be involved in the top part of the draft. Fringe players have no value and are just not getting anything worthwhile
Cal Twomey seems to think that the top end isn't exceptional however the draft is deeper than previous drafts.

i.e. the top 5 aren't of the same ilk as other 'great drafts', but the availability of good prospects stretches further.

Correlation does not always equal causation. At draft time, Hine has let the club down with his frequently outrageous reaches for ordinary players that never kick on.
In this case correlation is 100% causation - Hine assembled lists that won flags and have been making finals and contending.
That is beyond dispute!

Last edited:
does our recruiting team actually look forward to see whos coming up in a draft? Why do a future first in a strong year with an old battered list?. and why try to get into a first round multiple times in avery week year such as 2020?
Someone trying to destroy us from the inside or just plain stupid, take your pick.

If Tom McGuane truly looks a top 5 talent next year come this trade period, it’s probably in our best interests to trade next year’s first back into this year potentially?
That was the theory trading the first year before Nick was drafted
History tells us we are better hanging on to it
Best case scenario is we get a pick in before the bid for Tom arrives

If Tom McGuane truly looks a top 5 talent next year come this trade period, it’s probably in our best interests to trade next year’s first back into this year potentially?
I think we need to wait and see what the AFL do with FS and Academy picks. All indications are that they will make it tougher (fairer) for clubs who have access to FS's.

You’re absolutely right about game plan innovation being responsible for those two flags.

You also walk right past the fact that the list recruited by Hine and co enabled that game plan.

You make the right point, but the conclusion is that recruiting and coaching came together to win a flag.
And I think you’ll find this is the case for every premiership.

I’m not walking past it at all.

I’m not debating the fact they were able to implement the game plans at all and ultimately result in it being successful.

It’s just IMO the actual talent of our players in both instances (2010), and particularly last year, wasn’t the principle contributing factor in the success. An even more talented list may have extended the period of contention with those unique game plans like other teams have managed (Geelong, Hawthorn, Richmond).

Personally last year I don’t think our list was even within the top 10 most talented lists in the comp. But we got the job done due to the game plan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is a lot of angst on this board, rightly so I think, concerning out historical drafting and trading.

But nevertheless - we can't change what has happened, all we can do is hope that the powers that be get it right (pardon the pun) going forward.

Here is my take on the list

Retirement
  • Carmichael / Murphy (already confirmed)
  • Sidebottom
  • Howe.
I think we need to begin to transition the list as we can't have everyone retiring at once. Steele been OK for most the year, as has Howe but we need to move these guys on.

Its critical we land a KPD this off season, and it also opens up the opportunity for Dean to play regular games in 2025 albeit I am a little underwhelmed about him.

The likes of Will Parker, even Ed Allan, if they have tanks might be able to take the Steel role.

Delist

This where it becomes a little murkier as we have plenty of candidates.
  • Begg
  • Johnson
  • Long
There are a few who I would consider lucky such as McCrae who has been a disappointment and not been able to nail a spot given, we have had so many injuries. I think he is a bust, but given he is contracted I think he gets another year.

Like wise Jakob Ryan has had a lot of injuries and think we give him another year to see if he can make it.

Trade

I'm not suggesting for a moment we put anyone up for trade.

However if someone come knocking with a great offer for Elliott, DeGoey for example, then I would be open minded to see what they could net us.

The only players I have as untradeable are these
  • Daicos x 2
  • Moore
  • Pendles
  • Cameron
  • Maynard
Overall, this would make 7 list changes in total but inflated due to early retirement of Murphy and Carmichael

Critical we nail a KPD player via free agency (Battle?) and get up the order as high as we can to get some A grade talent in.

I’m curious to see which players might be put up for trade to strengthen our draft hand. I’m sure El Presidente JB mentioned earlier this year we would be active in this draft and eluded to this. Assuming along with pick swaps.
Who can we afford to lose, that would potentially net us a top end pick?!

Do we prematurely move on some of our top end stars? Degoey will be 29 next year. Crisp just keeps going, I’d prefer to keep him. Darcy Moore, his dad left….

IQ is a top end talent, small backs aren’t hard to develop. You can’t trade a Daicos, according to law. Our young talent won’t get us anything of value.

So really it’s about letting go one of our stars at their peak.

There is a lot of angst on this board, rightly so I think, concerning out historical drafting and trading.

But nevertheless - we can't change what has happened, all we can do is hope that the powers that be get it right (pardon the pun) going forward.

Here is my take on the list

Retirement
  • Carmichael / Murphy (already confirmed)
  • Sidebottom
  • Howe.
I think we need to begin to transition the list as we can't have everyone retiring at once. Steele been OK for most the year, as has Howe but we need to move these guys on.

Its critical we land a KPD this off season, and it also opens up the opportunity for Dean to play regular games in 2025 albeit I am a little underwhelmed about him.

The likes of Will Parker, even Ed Allan, if they have tanks might be able to take the Steel role.

Delist

This where it becomes a little murkier as we have plenty of candidates.
  • Begg
  • Johnson
  • Long
There are a few who I would consider lucky such as McCrae who has been a disappointment and not been able to nail a spot given, we have had so many injuries. I think he is a bust, but given he is contracted I think he gets another year.

Like wise Jakob Ryan has had a lot of injuries and think we give him another year to see if he can make it.

Trade

I'm not suggesting for a moment we put anyone up for trade.

However if someone come knocking with a great offer for Elliott, DeGoey for example, then I would be open minded to see what they could net us.

The only players I have as untradeable are these
  • Daicos x 2
  • Moore
  • Pendles
  • Cameron
  • Maynard
Overall, this would make 7 list changes in total but inflated due to early retirement of Murphy and Carmichael

Critical we nail a KPD player via free agency (Battle?) and get up the order as high as we can to get some A grade talent in.
We are kind of fudged when it comes to a first rounder but we do have this years second and next year. I personally would make a play for Tsatas and Gruzewski.

Tsatas dominates clearance in the VFL and is 19, fast 187cm mid

Gruzewski is averaging 2.1 goals a game in the VFL and is leading goal kicker of AFL listed players in the league, 192cm forward (same height as Mihocek)

Another couple of midfield options who may cost less than when they were drafted

Cam Mackenzie - Feel like him and Josh Ward might be competing for the same spot

Angus Sheldrick - Kind of plays like Adams, played lots of VFL

Otherwise I think we are going to need luck, get your hopes and prayers ready that we uncover a Sam Taylor - pick 28 or Chad Warner - pick 39 otherwise I think there may be more pain on the way.

Who can we afford to lose, that would potentially net us a top end pick?!

Do we prematurely move on some of our top end stars? Degoey will be 29 next year. Crisp just keeps going, I’d prefer to keep him. Darcy Moore, his dad left….

IQ is a top end talent, small backs aren’t hard to develop. You can’t trade a Daicos, according to law. Our young talent won’t get us anything of value.

So really it’s about letting go one of our stars at their peak.
Yeah it’s hard to get a fix on who’d we try to trade in our top tier to try to avoid a bottom out rebuild.

I’d say the considerations would be DeGoey (but hard to think as it seems like Fly got him to stay), Moore (but he’s our current Captain and his Dad implored others to stay highlighting his own experience of going to another club).

Then maybe Bobby Hill and lesser extents- Nobby, Macrae and AJ (last three get what you can get).

IQ retain. See how his brother goes. If works out maybe both in back pocket.

Pendles, Crisp and Sidey retain for experience and leadership for one more year.

Then who to bring in if we get a shot and at what cost is the other end of this.

I’m sure though, whoever it is we’re trying to get to Collingwood has been in the pipeline for some time now and not everyone has been thought of outside the club.

As in total mystery to all but those within the inner sanctum.

For now, we lick our wounds. Reload. Go again 2025.

I had heard that GW wanted to prioritise kids in the draft, but Clarko wanted to top up, GW was overridden and that began your downfall. Not sure if that is true or not.
It's true but people believe what they want to believe, the coach normally has the final say on players.

It's funny on thus board

No one mentions the following trades:
Hill
Howe
Mitchell
Frampton
Cameron
Crisp

It's all:
Schultz
Henry

There have been so many worse trades:
Pick 2
C Wood for pick 12-14 (can't remember)
Murry
Just to name a few
Beams part 2 is the worst in history

Just ahead of Treloar and Stephenson

2 first rounders for 5 games I think he played

Last edited:
Feels like a couple of tough/hard/brutish mids are really needed.

Can’t be banging up our 2 best players in Naicos and JDG in 2025.
If we can’t find any there’s other options.
Geel repurposed an AA defender in Stewart as a mid - no reason we shouldn’t consider IQ or Bruzz, to at least pinch hit as mids where required.
We also have McCreery.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back