It's all:
Schultz
Henry

There have been so many worse trades:
Pick 2
C Wood for pick 12-14 (can't remember)
Murry
Just to name a few

That's because the price we paid for the players you listed didn't mortgage our future.
If they had gone badly, we still would have been ok.
I also don't think we undersold those clubs on those players in terms of their value at the time.
Wood was terrible but that trade doesn't really impact our current list.

But we should mention them because we have made some great trades - 2014 was also amazing.

There's been some shockers - Pick 2 / Beams in particularly bc of the price paid.
Murray was bad but it's easier to recover from losing a second / third.

We mention Henry because we put in 2 years of development then put out a narrative (as we should) that we wouldn't accept anything other than a first. But we did. And to suggest it got us Mitchell I think is a little misleading - we'd have been able to swing that trade anyhow.

The Schultz trade keeps getting mentioned because it use still relevant - the price is still being determined and is having a direct impact upon our trading / drafting ability and, indeed, our prospects going in 2025 and beyond.

We simply refuse to learn the lesson of what the value of future firsts are or what type of player they should be used for.
I get the Beams interest in addressing a need observed in the 2018 GF, but as we should have walked away when the cost was to be 2x first rounders, we also should have walked away from a future first in the Schultz trade.
This isn't hindsight - go back and read the draft thread and the number of posters that were very wary of the value of this pick.

EDIT: Yes, we'll recover at some point, we always do, but this thread is for our drafting / trading in 2024 so I think the trades we're raising constantly have merit.

All the talk of trading our senior citizens is not resonating with me. Looking at the teams coming up, they're mainly doing well (Roos, Saints, Hawks, even GCS) with their younger lists. I think we'd get more currency trading older players to the Tasmanian franchise when it comes to fruition - e.g. Howie would make a perfect candidate for that, being a leader and still in relatively good nick (and, of course, a Tasmanian) and there for 1-2 years to transition.

2025 is going to be our 20 year anniversary of being a cellar dweller while we renovate the gameplan, renovate the list and also renovate the coaching staff. It's not a knock-down, it's just that there's been a gradual deterioration that was papered over and now has revealed massive cracks.

Disappointing, and it's no way to end the careers of Sidey, Elliot, Checkers and a few others.

Here's my preference for 2025-26:-

Trade
Jordan DE GOEY - I would hate this, but feel it would be better in the long-term for our midfield
Isaac QUAYNOR - Needs to peddle his scents somewhere else
Finlay MACRAE - Will likely make it in another team's game style. Maybe Saints?
Darcy MOORE - Would have good currency for a team with shorter backline
Jeremy HOWE - Tassie? I mean I want him to stay but it would probably be to our detriment

Hopefully a good mix of either 2nd round picks, more likely a swap for some middle-tier players that have missed opportunities at other clubs. 3 defenders for 3 defenders, and please select some with decent height. The 2 midfielders also need to have some height and speed if we're going to adapt to the game.

---

Keep/Develop
Nick DAICOS - Captain (Obvious)
Patrick LIPINSKI - Needs to have a more defined role
Brayden MAYNARD - Could do with new soldiers around him
Josh DAICOS - Plenty of footy left
Lachie SCHULTZ - 2024 so up/down. He'll settle in
John NOBLE - We need his run
Daniel MCSTAY - Plenty of footy left
Harry DEMATTIA - Too early to tell
Darcy CAMERON - Another few years while maybe Steene/Smits develop
Nathan KREUGER - Surely despite this year he goes around 1/2 times more
Tew JIATH - Promising
Iliro SMIT - One of a few who look exciting/raw
Bobby HILL - Will settle when his role is redefined
Jack CRISP - Plenty of footy left
Reef MCINNES - Needs to be played for full games more often
Joe RICHARDS - Handy, needs more backup
Beau MCCREERY - When he's on, he's on
Will HOSKIN-ELLIOTT - Another 2-3 years, experienced, still handy
Lachlan SULLIVAN - Will be a good midfield option for a few years
Harvey HARRISON - Very promising, on the up
Brody MIHOCEK (1-2 more years at most)
Charlie DEAN - I think he'll come good, but slowly
Ned LONG - Could be a useful utility
Wil PARKER - Promising

Undecided
Oscar STEENE
Jack BYTEL
Josh EYRE

Delist
Oleg MARKOV - His head isn't in the game. Thanks for the Premiership.
Edward ALLAN - Like Macrae in terms of value elsewhere
Billy FRAMPTON - Not a long-term option
Jakob RYAN - Who?
Aiden BEGG - Thought he could be something, has been slow to develop
Ash JOHNSON - One of the biggest disappointments

Retire
Jamie ELLIOTT
Tom MITCHELL
Scott PENDLEBURY
Steele SIDEBOTTOM
Mason COX

Big salutes to our Premiership retirees. Pendles gets to 400 and then moves on the next phase. He doesn't have to try and out-play Brent Harvey.

EDIT: Would be great if Jamie/Pendles went around one more time if they're up to it. But the injuries seem to have caught up.

All the talk of trading our senior citizens is not resonating with me. Looking at the teams coming up, they're mainly doing well (Roos, Saints, Hawks, even GCS) with their younger lists. I think we'd get more currency trading older players to the Tasmanian franchise when it comes to fruition - e.g. Howie would make a perfect candidate for that, being a leader and still in relatively good nick (and, of course, a Tasmanian) and there for 1-2 years to transition.

2025 is going to be our 20 year anniversary of being a cellar dweller while we renovate the gameplan, renovate the list and also renovate the coaching staff. It's not a knock-down, it's just that there's been a gradual deterioration that was papered over and now has revealed massive cracks.

Disappointing, and it's no way to end the careers of Sidey, Elliot, Checkers and a few others.

Trade
Jordan DE GOEY - I would hate this, but feel it would be better in the long-term for our midfield
Jeremy HOWE - Tassie? I mean I want him to stay but it would probably be to our detriment

Hopefully a good mix of either 2nd round picks, more likely a swap for some middle-tier players that have missed opportunities at other clubs. 3 defenders for 3 defenders, and please select some with decent height. The 2 midfielders also need to have some height and speed if we're going to adapt to the game.

---

Keep/Develop
Tew JIATH - Promising
Wil PARKER - Promising

Undecided
Oscar STEENE
Jack BYTEL
Josh EYRE

Delist
Jakob RYAN - Who?

Retire
Jamie ELLIOTT
Tom MITCHELL
Scott PENDLEBURY
Steele SIDEBOTTOM
Mason COX

Big salutes to our Premiership retirees. Pendles gets to 400 and then moves on the next phase. He doesn't have to try and out-play Brent Harvey.

EDIT: Would be great if Jamie/Pendles went around one more time if they're up to it. But the injuries seem to have caught up.
Lipinski can have a more defined role but until his intensity and bruise free style changes I would consider offloading
I thought last year ok its his shoulder but the timidness isn’t resonating this year

Lipinski can have a more defined role but until his intensity and bruise free style changes I would consider offloading
I thought last year ok its his shoulder but the timidness isn’t resonating this year
He did start to introduce a bit of physicality into his game, but I actually think his intensity is diffused with his indecision and ability to work with teammates. He's one of the more visible signs of our team connection having been completely lost, as he used to run/carry/link-up beautifully.

He did start to introduce a bit of physicality into his game, but I actually think his intensity is diffused with his indecision and ability to work with teammates. He's one of the more visible signs of our team connection having been completely lost, as he used to run/carry/link-up beautifully.
The hesitation before hitting packs and tackle efforts is a real liability currently

That's because the price we paid for the players you listed didn't mortgage our future.
If they had gone badly, we still would have been ok.
I also don't think we undersold those clubs on those players in terms of their value at the time.
Wood was terrible but that trade doesn't really impact our current list.

But we should mention them because we have made some great trades - 2014 was also amazing.

There's been some shockers - Pick 2 / Beams in particularly bc of the price paid.
Murray was bad but it's easier to recover from losing a second / third.

We mention Henry because we put in 2 years of development then put out a narrative (as we should) that we wouldn't accept anything other than a first. But we did. And to suggest it got us Mitchell I think is a little misleading - we'd have been able to swing that trade anyhow.

The Schultz trade keeps getting mentioned because it use still relevant - the price is still being determined and is having a direct impact upon our trading / drafting ability and, indeed, our prospects going in 2025 and beyond.

We simply refuse to learn the lesson of what the value of future firsts are or what type of player they should be used for.
I get the Beams interest in addressing a need observed in the 2018 GF, but as we should have walked away when the cost was to be 2x first rounders, we also should have walked away from a future first in the Schultz trade.
This isn't hindsight - go back and read the draft thread and the number of posters that were very wary of the value of this pick.

EDIT: Yes, we'll recover at some point, we always do, but this thread is for our drafting / trading in 2024 so I think the trades we're raising constantly have merit.
They are mostly worth 1st round picks but we payed peanuts for them.

Crisp B&F X2
Hill Norm Smith medallist
Frampton held our ruck down when there was no one else
Mitchell was outstanding
Cameron was solid for most of his games with us. But we payed 2nds, 3rds and virtually nothing for Crisp.

I think you missed my point. We underplayed for all of them. But no one is talking about them.

It's all ....cry...cry ....Schultz....

We won a premiership last year. When it comes to trading you win some and lose some. It's all the posters who most of the year don't even post.
Get out of the trading thread please. It's encouraging all the nuftys to post.

if you want to continue talking about Henry, ginni and who ever, perhaps create a thread to discuss the misery day in day out, and let the rest of us focus on the future and what’s in our control. To say it’s tiring reading it over and over is an understatement. It’s done, they are gone. Move on
You’re right.
Every team would have regrets in this way.
Beams never delivered any success for Brisbane and wouldn’t Brisbane love to have De Goey and Crisp playing in their team.

Trade

---

Keep/Develop
Tew JIATH - Promising
Wil PARKER - Promising

Undecided
Oscar STEENE
Jack BYTEL
Josh EYRE

Delist
Jakob RYAN - Who?

Retire
Jamie ELLIOTT
Tom MITCHELL
Scott PENDLEBURY
Steele SIDEBOTTOM
Mason COX

Ed Allan? Delist?

There is a lot of angst on this board, rightly so I think, concerning out historical drafting and trading.

But nevertheless - we can't change what has happened, all we can do is hope that the powers that be get it right (pardon the pun) going forward.

Here is my take on the list

Retirement
  • Carmichael / Murphy (already confirmed)
  • Sidebottom
  • Howe.
I think we need to begin to transition the list as we can't have everyone retiring at once. Steele been OK for most the year, as has Howe but we need to move these guys on.

Its critical we land a KPD this off season, and it also opens up the opportunity for Dean to play regular games in 2025 albeit I am a little underwhelmed about him.

The likes of Will Parker, even Ed Allan, if they have tanks might be able to take the Steel role.

Delist

This where it becomes a little murkier as we have plenty of candidates.
  • Begg
  • Johnson
  • Long
There are a few who I would consider lucky such as McCrae who has been a disappointment and not been able to nail a spot given, we have had so many injuries. I think he is a bust, but given he is contracted I think he gets another year.

Like wise Jakob Ryan has had a lot of injuries and think we give him another year to see if he can make it.

Trade

I'm not suggesting for a moment we put anyone up for trade.

However if someone come knocking with a great offer for Elliott, DeGoey for example, then I would be open minded to see what they could net us.

The only players I have as untradeable are these
  • Daicos x 2
  • Moore
  • Pendles
  • Cameron
  • Maynard
Overall, this would make 7 list changes in total but inflated due to early retirement of Murphy and Carmichael

Critical we nail a KPD player via free agency (Battle?) and get up the order as high as we can to get some A grade talent in.

Overall I think you are correct on needing to look at some list turnover, I tend to steer a bit more conservatively then some others who are calling for a really deep cut, but I personally think you've arrived at a fairly reasonable level of turnover and what we could reasonably expect to see.

The few changes I'd be making however is I would consider Cox for Howe in the retirement/moving on category. Howe has had a pretty consistent year, and will be important for the development of Dean and Eyre, as well as a handy option or partner if we do go down the route of another KPD (which I think we really should be doing). Comparatively, we also have Steene and Smit who have both shown a bit at the lower level, and Steene in particular should really start to pick up and be one pushing for senior games in 2025, so in an ideal world the need for retaining Mason should be diminished.

I think Begg will also get moved on, though it's shame pre his injury we did not get a chance to look at him in another role outside of the ruck. With his size and athleticism he has some AFL traits, though I doubt he'd ever make the grade as a pure ruck. Ned Long I think will be persisted with, we clearly rate him and he's been fantastic at VFL level for us and shown some glimpses at AFL level in his few appearances for us this year. I feel Markov could be another in this category that may also miss out on a deal for 2025, but that's more a speculation and gut feel thing.

The interesting ones will be AJ, Fin and Ryan and whether we could get them involved in deals. While none will generate us anything of extreme value on their own, they might be able to be involved in other movement - and given all 3 are contracted, we will have to receive something given this status (I could be wrong here? Happy to be corrected if that's not the case).
I do think all 3 will have buyers, the SA clubs will look at Ryan, while I have heard a bit of AJ to Port which I think would be a nice fit, and Fin will generate some interest as a young mid performing at the lower level but struggling to impact at AFL. Again these guys won't be generating us anything of high value, but for example if the hypothetical of Alex Davies to us was real, something like a move of AJ to Port, a pick to the suns and Davies to us could play out (again a just a pure example).

How we get into the first round is still a mystery to me, excluding your proposed a surprise move of a player like a JDG or IQ for example, which might play out or eventuate though I've heard nothing. I'd be loathed to move our 2025 pick into this year given we've been burnt a few times now, but I would assume the club is expecting next season to be closer to 2023 rather than 2024, and with young McGuane coming on rapidly, I could see the logic in the club going down that path as much as I'd prefer to hold on and wait and see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trade

---

Keep/Develop
Tew JIATH - Promising
Wil PARKER - Promising

Undecided
Oscar STEENE
Jack BYTEL
Josh EYRE

Delist
Jakob RYAN - Who?

Retire
Jamie ELLIOTT
Tom MITCHELL
Scott PENDLEBURY
Steele SIDEBOTTOM
Mason COX

Please elaborate on why we would trade our Captain and AA defender in Moore.

Comparatively, we also have Steene and Smit who have both shown a bit at the lower level, and Steene in particular should really start to pick up and be one pushing for senior games in 2025, so in an ideal world the need for retaining Mason should be diminished.
This is where optimism truly exists
I think there's real potential (scary word) in one day having Smit as our main ruck, Steene as our FF that we lob the ball on the head of to mark or bring to ground. And they can interchange.

We also need to be bold and play McCreery, Ryan, Allan and HH etc as developing mids
All have size and burst (except Ryan who can be the released runner)
Reef also needs to seize his chance as a mid.

Please elaborate on why we would trade our Captain and AA defender in Moore.
Our 2023 AA defender. Not 2024.

If I'm honest, I just don't see him as a leader of the club. Our captain has always been someone who could pick up the team, rally them and change a game.

Darcy has been a great communicator, shown class, poise and great skill as a defender. But he's nearing 29, clearly bereft of passion and does not look like someone who is going to take our club to the next level with a new wave of players.

Nick Daicos is very young, but already cut from the same cloth as Pendles in terms of preparation, game-changer and someone his teammates look to. The skill in being a captain will come to him, as he already has the necessary mentors around him.

If we stuck with Darcy, I'm not going to complain too hard because he deserves respect as a Premiership Captain. But at his age and with a fresh start he would undoubtably worth a lot in trade value to another club. A club in the window would absolutely kill for him as a defender. And our current picks are terrible.

It'd be a bold move, but could really set us up for regrowth for the next few years.

Our 2023 AA defender. Not 2024.

If I'm honest, I just don't see him as a leader of the club. Our captain has always been someone who could pick up the team, rally them and change a game.

Darcy has been a great communicator, shown class, poise and great skill as a defender. But he's nearing 29, clearly bereft of passion and does not look like someone who is going to take our club to the next level with a new wave of players.

Nick Daicos is very young, but already cut from the same cloth as Pendles in terms of preparation, game-changer and someone his teammates look to. The skill in being a captain will come to him, as he already has the necessary mentors around him.

If we stuck with Darcy, I'm not going to complain too hard because he deserves respect as a Premiership Captain. But at his age and with a fresh start he would undoubtably worth a lot in trade value to another club. A club in the window would absolutely kill for him as a defender. And our current picks are terrible.

It'd be a bold move, but could really set us up for regrowth for the next few years.
You say he deserves respect as a Premiership Captain, but the you want him treated with egregious disrespect by trading him.

Talent is permanent, form is temporary.

Very short memories and short sighted thinking would trade a weapon and star like Moore.

Trade

---

Keep/Develop
Tew JIATH - Promising
Wil PARKER - Promising

Undecided
Oscar STEENE
Jack BYTEL
Josh EYRE

Delist
Jakob RYAN - Who?

Retire
Jamie ELLIOTT
Tom MITCHELL
Scott PENDLEBURY
Steele SIDEBOTTOM
Mason COX

Mitchell? he is ony 31. Elliot is only 32 two more years from both of them minimum.

Last edited:
Sucks that we’re no longer a chance at Bailey Smith. Would of been good for our midfield. Even if he did request the trade here, we have nothing worthwhile to get him. Would of been interesting what we would of done had we kept the first rounder, could of maybe pulled it off

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Trade

---

Keep/Develop
Tew JIATH - Promising
Wil PARKER - Promising

Undecided
Oscar STEENE
Jack BYTEL
Josh EYRE

Delist
Jakob RYAN - Who?

Retire
Jamie ELLIOTT
Tom MITCHELL
Scott PENDLEBURY
Steele SIDEBOTTOM
Mason COX

These 2 in red, need to be played in the middle while Pendles and Mitchell are still playing. The chances of winning a GF from here, if we get into the top 8, is very slim as we would be burnt out even if we did make it so take this opportunity to train the young ones now and reset for next year or 2026.
Let them have full games too, not being a sub to inhibit their progression.
If we bottom out, then so be it but train them up while the stars are still playing.
This is an opportunity they shouldn't take for granted IMO.

To me the draft is, for the most part, a lottery. There's no exposed form at the level that players are expected to perform at and it doesn't account for injuries, homesickness, team dynamics etc. Teams gamble on the draft when trading meaning that there's almost always likely to be a winner and a loser. Very few trades are win/win for the teams involved.

Taking this into account, and with the fear of Tasmania's concessions on the horizon (justified or not), does it make sense for the club to gamble seek to swap future firsts with a club who we expect to fall next season, particularly with a prospect like McGuane coming through?

The risk is that the other team performs well and the first round pick we receive is later, however the upside is that a team falls and we essentially upgrade our pick. We would still retain a first round pick and be able to start a rebuild before Tasmania's concessions likely come into play.

The other option would be to seek to trade someone like a De Goey to a team for two picks (similar to the Shultz trade), however this is obviously a risk as a fit De Goey may be enough to elevate that team to a higher finish.

We just need to transition some of the players and trust more younger types.
For example Cox at 34 isn’t needed.
We should be prioritising Steele or Begg next season to support Cameron.

Do we need all of Pendles, Sidebottom and Mitchell taking up midfield mins or game time from others ?

Do we need both Elliott and WHE taking up spots inside F50 depriving game time from say a Reef or Harrison or Richards?

We need to begin to trust the next wave by not tipping everyone out but we can afford to tip our 3-4 out of the side on a regular basis

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back