List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

We just need to transition some of the players and trust more younger types.
For example Cox at 34 isn’t needed.
We should be prioritising Steele or Begg next season to support Cameron.

Do we need all of Pendles, Sidebottom and Mitchell taking up midfield mins or game time from others ?

Do we need both Elliott and WHE taking up spots inside F50 depriving game time from say a Reef or Harrison or Richards?

We need to begin to trust the next wave by not tipping everyone out but we can afford to tip our 3-4 out of the side on a regular basis
I agree with this and would also add that the sub role could be used to prolong the careers of some of our veterans.

Someone like Sidey or WHE would be a decent option for sub as they're able to play multiple positions and would be coming on with fresh legs.

Surely there are some talented academy and early draftees currently frustrated to be stuck on the fringes or playing reserves at GWS, Sydney, Bris, GC and/or North who would jump at the opportunity to play seniors with us, under Fly’s care?

IMO, we should be targeting some such talented, young, “off the radar” types, rather than established, expensive senior players who are past the midpoints of their respective careers.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Surely there are some talented academy and early draftees currently frustrated to be stuck on the fringes or playing reserves at GWS, Sydney, Bris, GC and/or North who would jump at the opportunity to play seniors with us, under Fly’s care?

IMO, we should be targeting some such talented, young, “off the radar” types, rather than established, expensive senior players who are past the midpoints of their respective careers.

Exactly. Agree
But with Wright overseas and no funding for the pro scouts we sacked, good luck with that

We need to be aggressive and the most important position we require is in the midfield with a big body clearance beast and a quick ball winner
Think the backline should be Ok! and the forward line Checkers McStay as talls and a host of smalls we have enough scoring power
Rucks with Cameron and Cox will see through another season and with a couple of young development ruckman to get some game time next year
I do think that we need to start turning the veterans over this year with a couple moved on for next year and at least 3 the following year
I don’t think finals are a possibility this year so it time to start put some if the guys in for there clean ups
With the easier draw next year i think we will bounce back pretty quick

I had heard that GW wanted to prioritise kids in the draft, but Clarko wanted to top up, GW was overridden and that began your downfall. Not sure if that is true or not.

Yeah that is my understanding of what happened, which I heard from a good source. They had a difference of opinions and clashed over the direction the club should be taking, which caused some tension in their relationship.

It will indeed go down in the anals of list management history. But it has plenty of company with all the insanely idiotic moves the club has been pulling over the last several years.

That we managed to win a flag with list management the quality of 90s Fremantle is truly baffling.

Sounds like a dark and steamy path best avoided.

Last edited:
All the talk of trading our senior citizens is not resonating with me. Looking at the teams coming up, they're mainly doing well (Roos, Saints, Hawks, even GCS) with their younger lists. I think we'd get more currency trading older players to the Tasmanian franchise when it comes to fruition - e.g. Howie would make a perfect candidate for that, being a leader and still in relatively good nick (and, of course, a Tasmanian) and there for 1-2 years to transition.

2025 is going to be our 20 year anniversary of being a cellar dweller while we renovate the gameplan, renovate the list and also renovate the coaching staff. It's not a knock-down, it's just that there's been a gradual deterioration that was papered over and now has revealed massive cracks.

Disappointing, and it's no way to end the careers of Sidey, Elliot, Checkers and a few others.

Here's my preference for 2025-26:-

Trade
Jordan DE GOEY - I would hate this, but feel it would be better in the long-term for our midfield
Isaac QUAYNOR - Needs to peddle his scents somewhere else
Finlay MACRAE - Will likely make it in another team's game style. Maybe Saints?
Darcy MOORE - Would have good currency for a team with shorter backline
Jeremy HOWE - Tassie? I mean I want him to stay but it would probably be to our detriment

Hopefully a good mix of either 2nd round picks, more likely a swap for some middle-tier players that have missed opportunities at other clubs. 3 defenders for 3 defenders, and please select some with decent height. The 2 midfielders also need to have some height and speed if we're going to adapt to the game.

---

Keep/Develop
Nick DAICOS - Captain (Obvious)
Patrick LIPINSKI - Needs to have a more defined role
Brayden MAYNARD - Could do with new soldiers around him
Josh DAICOS - Plenty of footy left
Lachie SCHULTZ - 2024 so up/down. He'll settle in
John NOBLE - We need his run
Daniel MCSTAY - Plenty of footy left
Harry DEMATTIA - Too early to tell
Darcy CAMERON - Another few years while maybe Steene/Smits develop
Nathan KREUGER - Surely despite this year he goes around 1/2 times more
Tew JIATH - Promising
Iliro SMIT - One of a few who look exciting/raw
Bobby HILL - Will settle when his role is redefined
Jack CRISP - Plenty of footy left
Reef MCINNES - Needs to be played for full games more often
Joe RICHARDS - Handy, needs more backup
Beau MCCREERY - When he's on, he's on
Will HOSKIN-ELLIOTT - Another 2-3 years, experienced, still handy
Lachlan SULLIVAN - Will be a good midfield option for a few years
Harvey HARRISON - Very promising, on the up
Brody MIHOCEK (1-2 more years at most)
Charlie DEAN - I think he'll come good, but slowly
Ned LONG - Could be a useful utility
Wil PARKER - Promising

Undecided
Oscar STEENE
Jack BYTEL
Josh EYRE

Delist
Oleg MARKOV - His head isn't in the game. Thanks for the Premiership.
Edward ALLAN - Like Macrae in terms of value elsewhere
Billy FRAMPTON - Not a long-term option
Jakob RYAN - Who?
Aiden BEGG - Thought he could be something, has been slow to develop
Ash JOHNSON - One of the biggest disappointments

Retire
Jamie ELLIOTT
Tom MITCHELL
Scott PENDLEBURY
Steele SIDEBOTTOM
Mason COX

Big salutes to our Premiership retirees. Pendles gets to 400 and then moves on the next phase. He doesn't have to try and out-play Brent Harvey.

EDIT: Would be great if Jamie/Pendles went around one more time if they're up to it. But the injuries seem to have caught up.
Who throws the first Molotov Cocktail to burn the joint down while we are at it?

My thoughts exactly GC i s loaded with juinor talent .. time to pick a few up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richards, Harrison, Schulz, McCreery… I love Bobby… but, stop and think for a moment…
He can be replaced.
None of them have his X factor, evasiveness, marking ability, speed all in one package.

He’s both capable of mark and goal of the year - can’t see the others doing that.

Foundations are critical for the strength of a house.
Ours is rotten.
Our VFL program is a clusterf*%k. We can’t even beat stand-alones. We need to drastically improve player development as well as recruiting.
Older players should be given 1 year deals and be told to be prepared to play in the VFL to mentor our future stars. Otherwise wave them on. Trade out what can be replaced by free agents and get back in the draft to try to find new talent… because, thus far Allen, Ryan, McCrae etc are plodders (50 game tops).

I think everybody needs to keep their cool over the Shultz trade. The fact that we will finish low on the ladder does not contribute to our trade position. If we finished 2nd we would still end the season with no flag and that future 1st gone.
Where we finish is not relevant for us. It certainly is to Freo, but not us.
We still have the same draft hand that we had 10 weeks ago.

All the talk of trading our senior citizens is not resonating with me. Looking at the teams coming up, they're mainly doing well (Roos, Saints, Hawks, even GCS) with their younger lists. I think we'd get more currency trading older players to the Tasmanian franchise when it comes to fruition - e.g. Howie would make a perfect candidate for that, being a leader and still in relatively good nick (and, of course, a Tasmanian) and there for 1-2 years to transition.

2025 is going to be our 20 year anniversary of being a cellar dweller while we renovate the gameplan, renovate the list and also renovate the coaching staff. It's not a knock-down, it's just that there's been a gradual deterioration that was papered over and now has revealed massive cracks.

Disappointing, and it's no way to end the careers of Sidey, Elliot, Checkers and a few others.

Here's my preference for 2025-26:-

Trade
Jordan DE GOEY - I would hate this, but feel it would be better in the long-term for our midfield
Isaac QUAYNOR - Needs to peddle his scents somewhere else
Finlay MACRAE - Will likely make it in another team's game style. Maybe Saints?
Darcy MOORE - Would have good currency for a team with shorter backline
Jeremy HOWE - Tassie? I mean I want him to stay but it would probably be to our detriment

Hopefully a good mix of either 2nd round picks, more likely a swap for some middle-tier players that have missed opportunities at other clubs. 3 defenders for 3 defenders, and please select some with decent height. The 2 midfielders also need to have some height and speed if we're going to adapt to the game.

---

Keep/Develop
Nick DAICOS - Captain (Obvious)
Patrick LIPINSKI - Needs to have a more defined role
Brayden MAYNARD - Could do with new soldiers around him
Josh DAICOS - Plenty of footy left
Lachie SCHULTZ - 2024 so up/down. He'll settle in
John NOBLE - We need his run
Daniel MCSTAY - Plenty of footy left
Harry DEMATTIA - Too early to tell
Darcy CAMERON - Another few years while maybe Steene/Smits develop
Nathan KREUGER - Surely despite this year he goes around 1/2 times more
Tew JIATH - Promising
Iliro SMIT - One of a few who look exciting/raw
Bobby HILL - Will settle when his role is redefined
Jack CRISP - Plenty of footy left
Reef MCINNES - Needs to be played for full games more often
Joe RICHARDS - Handy, needs more backup
Beau MCCREERY - When he's on, he's on
Will HOSKIN-ELLIOTT - Another 2-3 years, experienced, still handy
Lachlan SULLIVAN - Will be a good midfield option for a few years
Harvey HARRISON - Very promising, on the up
Brody MIHOCEK (1-2 more years at most)
Charlie DEAN - I think he'll come good, but slowly
Ned LONG - Could be a useful utility
Wil PARKER - Promising

Undecided
Oscar STEENE
Jack BYTEL
Josh EYRE

Delist
Oleg MARKOV - His head isn't in the game. Thanks for the Premiership.
Edward ALLAN - Like Macrae in terms of value elsewhere
Billy FRAMPTON - Not a long-term option
Jakob RYAN - Who?
Aiden BEGG - Thought he could be something, has been slow to develop
Ash JOHNSON - One of the biggest disappointments

Retire
Jamie ELLIOTT
Tom MITCHELL
Scott PENDLEBURY
Steele SIDEBOTTOM
Mason COX

Big salutes to our Premiership retirees. Pendles gets to 400 and then moves on the next phase. He doesn't have to try and out-play Brent Harvey.

EDIT: Would be great if Jamie/Pendles went around one more time if they're up to it. But the injuries seem to have caught up.

No way we would Trade Moore or IQ

Eyre and Steele are Very Promising Talls just had the Injury Bug sadly

Allan won't be De-Listed as got 2 more years on his Contract and I still think he can at least become a Descent AFL Player

Not sure on Sullivan and Long. Both get a 1 Year Extention for Depth

No way we would Trade Moore or IQ

Eyre and Steele are Very Promising Talls just had the Injury Bug sadly

Allan won't be De-Listed as got 2 more years on his Contract and I still think he can at least become a Descent AFL Player

Not sure on Sullivan and Long. Both get a 1 Year Extention for Depth
Yeah I didn't know about IQ's extended contract until 2029 anyway. I hope it turns out to be good for us.

And I hope Allan comes on too, just seems to have been all talk about potential but no real evidence yet. Fingers crossed.

Moore wouldn't be the first Premiership Captain to move clubs - Hodge being the most recent. How would you feel if he played like he has this year for another 2 years and then lost any currency as a trade?

Yeah I didn't know about IQ's extended contract until 2029 anyway. I hope it turns out to be good for us.

And I hope Allan comes on too, just seems to have been all talk about potential but no real evidence yet. Fingers crossed.

Moore wouldn't be the first Premiership Captain to move clubs - Hodge being the most recent. How would you feel if he played like he has this year for another 2 years and then lost any currency as a trade?
How would you feel if he went to Sydney and recaptured his AA form?

How would you feel if he went to Sydney and recaptured his AA form?
I'd feel no worse than if it were Grundy or Adams.

They showed today we have roughly 8-9 players under 25. And of those, it's only Nick that is an A-grader. The harsh reality is that we have been reliant on our seniors for maybe 2 seasons too long, we've blown our draft selections and have nothing to use for this coming year. We either need to trade exceedingly well or just endure a year on the bottom (or maybe both?) in order to top up again. All that on top of probably having to learn a new gameplan and hoping the 28+ players are able to physically execute it.

To put it another way, what does it say about Darcy's ability that Murphy's retirement has created a huge form drop?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back