List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd feel no worse than if it were Grundy or Adams.

They showed today we have roughly 8-9 players under 25. And of those, it's only Nick that is an A-grader. The harsh reality is that we have been reliant on our seniors for maybe 2 seasons too long, we've blown our draft selections and have nothing to use for this coming year. We either need to trade exceedingly well or just endure a year on the bottom (or maybe both?) in order to top up again. All that on top of probably having to learn a new gameplan and hoping the 28+ players are able to physically execute it.

To put it another way, what does it say about Darcy's ability that Murphy's retirement has created a huge form drop?
We would be insane to trade Moore.
He’s coming off a poor season and is on a long term deal.
Like Grundy and Treloar, we would get nothing decent in return.

Jeepers, why would we move on so many and become mediocre when we don't even have a first round pick?

My best guess would be put players into surgery, rest them up and bring them back next year with an easier draw. Let's see if we can snag one more in an incredibly even competition.

Everyone just sees the worst in all the player now. Trading Quaynor? Insanity. He is clearly carrying a toe injury that has impacted his athleticism. He is a gun.

We are gonna go down at some point, there is no denying that. But why not try for one more if the older players wanna give it a go?

My targets would still be Isaac Cumming because he is free and a brilliant kick and Alex Davies as he could be the younger big body mid that could protect and play next to Daicos for 10 years.

Yeah I didn't know about IQ's extended contract until 2029 anyway. I hope it turns out to be good for us.

And I hope Allan comes on too, just seems to have been all talk about potential but no real evidence yet. Fingers crossed.

Moore wouldn't be the first Premiership Captain to move clubs - Hodge being the most recent. How would you feel if he played like he has this year for another 2 years and then lost any currency as a trade?
Hodge was 34 years old in 2018 when he moved to Brisbane and had announced his retirement in July 2017. It's hardly analogous to Moore's current situation.

Jeepers, why would we move on so many and become mediocre when we don't even have a first round pick?

My best guess would be put players into surgery, rest them up and bring them back next year with an easier draw. Let's see if we can snag one more in an incredibly even competition.

Everyone just sees the worst in all the player now. Trading Quaynor? Insanity. He is clearly carrying a toe injury that has impacted his athleticism. He is a gun.

We are gonna go down at some point, there is no denying that. But why not try for one more if the older players wanna give it a go?

My targets would still be Isaac Cumming because he is free and a brilliant kick and Alex Davies as he could be the younger big body mid that could protect and play next to Daicos for 10 years.

I think some posters are copy and pasting some of their 2021 posts.

Yeah I didn't know about IQ's extended contract until 2029 anyway. I hope it turns out to be good for us.

And I hope Allan comes on too, just seems to have been all talk about potential but no real evidence yet. Fingers crossed.

Moore wouldn't be the first Premiership Captain to move clubs - Hodge being the most recent. How would you feel if he played like he has this year for another 2 years and then lost any currency as a trade?
You’ve answered your own question by quoting Hodge as your example.
Nobody trades a Premiership Captain in their prime.
If Moore was passed it as Hodge was, then you’d have a point.

Hodge was 34 years old in 2018 when he moved to Brisbane and had announced his retirement in July 2017. It's hardly analogous to Moore's current situation.
Griffen would be a better comparison, which would be good as it'd result in us winning the flag.

You’ve answered your own question by quoting Hodge as your example.
Nobody trades a Premiership Captain in their prime.
If Moore was passed it as Hodge was, then you’d have a point.
The question was 'How would you feel if he played like he has this year for another 2 years and then lost any currency as a trade?'

So no I didn't.

Whatever Jeff Browne and Craig Kelly do, they need to beef up and inject funds in to the recruiting area
Will be vital in next 3-5 years of our list transition
Whether that includes a role for Hine remains to be seen but change is required urgently
Agree. This is an area that we have been poor in for nearly a decade. The club took an axe to the recruiting team and the clubs network of part time talent spotters some years ago. I remember Rendell lamenting their loss. I think it was before he was made redundant. It was scaled back to bare bones due to COVID cuts and the implementation of the soft cap. The club this/ last year decided to pay the soft cap tax for a beefed up the coaching panel.

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd feel no worse than if it were Grundy or Adams.

They showed today we have roughly 8-9 players under 25. And of those, it's only Nick that is an A-grader. The harsh reality is that we have been reliant on our seniors for maybe 2 seasons too long, we've blown our draft selections and have nothing to use for this coming year. We either need to trade exceedingly well or just endure a year on the bottom (or maybe both?) in order to top up again. All that on top of probably having to learn a new gameplan and hoping the 28+ players are able to physically execute it.

To put it another way, what does it say about Darcy's ability that Murphy's retirement has created a huge form drop?
What does it say about Stewart that he’s been redeployed as a mid because he’s become ineffective as a backman?
Do you think Geel ( equally struggling for talent and with an aging list), are putting him up for trade?
Obviously the answer is NO.

Moore like Stewart, has enough talent to be played in other positions before he’d be traded.

Spot on.

You need health luck to compete in this competition, unfortunately this has been like the year from hell for us.

I still think there is something in the tank for our older players and I think given our terrible draft hand, our best course of action is to back this group in next year and try and compete for one more run.

If Thomas McGuane is a top 3-5 pick like many are projecting, you get him regardless of where we finish next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. This is an area that we have been poor in for nearly a decade. The club took an axe to the recruiting team and the clubs network of part time talent spotters some years ago. I remember Rendell lamenting their loss. I think it was before he was made redundant. It was scaled back to bare bones due to COVID cuts and the implementation of the soft cap. The club this/ last year decided to pay the soft cap tax for a beefed up the coaching panel.

Rendell was the guy that passed on Cripps

Cumming Berry Davies would be great

No way we would Trade Moore or IQ

Eyre and Steele are Very Promising Talls just had the Injury Bug sadly

Allan won't be De-Listed as got 2 more years on his Contract and I still think he can at least become a Descent AFL Player

Not sure on Sullivan and Long. Both get a 1 Year Extention for Depth
Dont think Sullivan and Long offer us much very one paced
Would like to them replaced with young guys with a point of difference
Allan has AFL traits so i would give him another 2 years to mature also believe he is better as a midfielder and gets lost on a wing
Trading Moore is certainly not an option player can have poor seasons

Overall I think you are correct on needing to look at some list turnover, I tend to steer a bit more conservatively then some others who are calling for a really deep cut, but I personally think you've arrived at a fairly reasonable level of turnover and what we could reasonably expect to see.

The few changes I'd be making however is I would consider Cox for Howe in the retirement/moving on category. Howe has had a pretty consistent year, and will be important for the development of Dean and Eyre, as well as a handy option or partner if we do go down the route of another KPD (which I think we really should be doing). Comparatively, we also have Steene and Smit who have both shown a bit at the lower level, and Steene in particular should really start to pick up and be one pushing for senior games in 2025, so in an ideal world the need for retaining Mason should be diminished.

I think Begg will also get moved on, though it's shame pre his injury we did not get a chance to look at him in another role outside of the ruck. With his size and athleticism he has some AFL traits, though I doubt he'd ever make the grade as a pure ruck. Ned Long I think will be persisted with, we clearly rate him and he's been fantastic at VFL level for us and shown some glimpses at AFL level in his few appearances for us this year. I feel Markov could be another in this category that may also miss out on a deal for 2025, but that's more a speculation and gut feel thing.

The interesting ones will be AJ, Fin and Ryan and whether we could get them involved in deals. While none will generate us anything of extreme value on their own, they might be able to be involved in other movement - and given all 3 are contracted, we will have to receive something given this status (I could be wrong here? Happy to be corrected if that's not the case).
I do think all 3 will have buyers, the SA clubs will look at Ryan, while I have heard a bit of AJ to Port which I think would be a nice fit, and Fin will generate some interest as a young mid performing at the lower level but struggling to impact at AFL. Again these guys won't be generating us anything of high value, but for example if the hypothetical of Alex Davies to us was real, something like a move of AJ to Port, a pick to the suns and Davies to us could play out (again a just a pure example).

How we get into the first round is still a mystery to me, excluding your proposed a surprise move of a player like a JDG or IQ for example, which might play out or eventuate though I've heard nothing. I'd be loathed to move our 2025 pick into this year given we've been burnt a few times now, but I would assume the club is expecting next season to be closer to 2023 rather than 2024, and with young McGuane coming on rapidly, I could see the logic in the club going down that path as much as I'd prefer to hold on and wait and see.
Cox is contracted for 2025. Howe if he plays this and next week reaches his trigger for a 2025 contract. I think they will keep Cox for depth. I think it will be Sidey and Pendles. I believe Pendles will step away after this season. He will see we are a club in transition so why go on. He has been burnt a few times this year due to his lack of pace and inability to spread at times. He can't play mid with plodders like Mitchell, Macrae, Sulli. He has indicated he would like 12 months away before he looks at coaching options. A smart team may offer him 1 year playing before transitioning into FT coaching. If someone came knocking for JDG as much as I love him and or IQ, Noble or Bobby I would hope the club considers it.

From HS:

Collingwood

Grouping the veteran trio together here and it feels like the mood on them outside of the Pies changes week to week. Howe has been the best performed of the three and is closing in on a contract trigger, Pendlebury has been in talks on a new deal and Sidebottom wants to play on. But Pendles and Steele have both clearly lost a step. Age worked in Collingwood’s favour last year but Saints great Leigh Montagna now reckons the Pies profile is “alarming”. Howe and Pendlebury should go on, Sidebottom likely goes around again too. Is there a sit down coming with contracted players like Mason Cox or Tom Mitchell to say it might be time? Fascinating decisions coming, particularly if the reigning premier misses the eight.

Do you see him as a vital cog in our midfield? I just didn't see much trade value in him - he's developing but so far has not really shown any signs of being an A-Grade player.

Open to being proved wrong.
Not at Moment but I would not say he is done either

Hodge was about Finshed when he left the Hawks

Moore is not Finished yet

Rather than trading Quaynor, I’d be thinking about bringing Parker or TJ back and seeing if he could provide anything through the midfield.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back