List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Going to be cashed up in a couple of years with Elliott, Pendles, Sidey, Mihocek, Howe, Mitchell, Cox all finishing up soon.

With the spare cash go after a big free agent key forward, and also a gun mid.

Until then, be clever picking up young players who aren’t getting an opportunity at other clubs. Don’t spend too much trading around draft picks, we’ll need them for McGuane next year, and drafting some decent kids to form the new nucleus of players supporting our ‘once in a generation’ talent in Nick.D.

Gotta say, I can’t believe some of the hysterical tripe being suggested and posted here.

You’d think it’s the Richmond board.

I’m still basking in the glow of a premiership and an amazing 2 year ride. Wouldn’t trade it for the world.

Sure, the house needs a little renovating. We’ll work through it.

Can we trade a few posters instead?

I really hope we go hard at Barrass.

Moore needs to find enjoyment in footy again, I would love to see him play Fwd/Ruck.

Move on Cox.

Also happy to throw Caleb Daniel a lifeline, his ball use is elite off half back.

Three pronged fwd line of Moore, McStay and Checkers will cause issues. Imagine Checkers getting the 3rd best defender.

We're not interested in Daniel.

Some horrible and super unrealistic proposals in this thread from so called long time fans, which is ridiculous.

1. Collingwood captains mean something usually reserved for Magpie lifers. Look at every single Magpies captain in the AFL era.... every single one retired as a Magpie.
Darcy Moore is not moving anywhere. He was AA last year on a premiership team, yet the fans here are thinking of moving him and has dismissed him for having a down year. It's really pathetic and disappointing. How do you expect to attract AA talent if the fan base crucify players when things don't go well...especially if the player was AA and a premiership captain. It's just unthinkable.

2. Sidebottom, Howe and Pendles will NOT be pushed out by McRae and the team. At minimum they retire at end of NEXT season as part of a farewell tour. Besides, there are no players are knocking at their heels since Pies lack young players, which is a problem.

3. Cox has proven he deserves another year on the Pies. His ruck contributions last year and this year proves that. Pies has a winning record with him this year, and the team looks horrible without him regardless of his stats.
He is a structure player and a decoy for the forward line smalls.

4. There is a good chance that Pies will push to keep the same team next season and hope for a healthy one. Then re-evaluate at the end of the season regardless of success or not. Basically good or bad, Pies should have retirements by end of next season freeing up 2 to 3 million dollars in cap. Which is good enough to bring 3 new AA level talent off the free agency.

So in short, Pies write this season off... re-load next season with minor change consisting of a more developed youth such as Richards, Reef etc.

5. If the Pies can obtain a player in their prime on a relatively cheap contract this off season, they will do that to reinforce next season.

The competition is so even that wholesale changes are not required for 2025.
A better run with injuries, an easier draw (?), and an injection of energy through a couple of new recruits and we are back in it
Agree it's "even" but if you're slightly "off" you'll be behind the pack - the 2 draws and the Suns loss have cost us big time - but even if we'd won all of those.... on "exposed 🤣 form" atm we wouldn't be doing much damage in Sept

Going to be cashed up in a couple of years with Elliott, Pendles, Sidey, Mihocek, Howe, Mitchell, Cox all finishing up soon.

With the spare cash go after a big free agent key forward, and also a gun mid.

Until then, be clever picking up young players who aren’t getting an opportunity at other clubs. Don’t spend too much trading around draft picks, we’ll need them for McGuane next year, and drafting some decent kids to form the new nucleus of players supporting our ‘once in a generation’ talent in Nick.D.
As you've said, the focus should be on targeting big name free agents who will be out of contract at the end of next season, while adding bits and pieces here and there this off-season.

Two big acquisitions that are free agents at the end of 2025 are Darcy Fogarty and LDU.

Fogarty is 24 years old and seems to me to be on the cusp of breaking out as a forward you can build a forward line around, particularly with someone like Dan McStay acting as the taller target. LDU is well-known to most footy observers and presents as the two-way midfielder we need, capable of winning the ball himself but also able to run and spread from contests.

Other notable players who are out of contract at the end of 2025 include Andrew Brayshaw, Finn Callaghan, Tom De Koning, Sam De Koning, Mac Andrew, Leek Aleer, James Worpel, Judd McVee, Noah Balta, Chad Warner, Oscar Allen, Jake Waterman, Marcus Bontempelli and Ed Richards.

Obviously the cost (salary and possible picks) to prise out some of the names above won't be worth the potential reward (e.g. Bontempelli), however the market appears a lot more appealing than this year's free agency/out of contract player market.

We should also give credit to our club's list management team for ensuring that most of our players are under contract until the end of 2025, with Maynard, Hill and Harrison probably being the stand-outs and who I would expect will receive new deals between now and the end of next season anyway.

Maybe in a couple of weeks we should tell ourselves the mid season draft is coming up.
That way we can scour WAFL/SANFL etc and pick up some ready made players.

As you've said, the focus should be on targeting big name free agents who will be out of contract at the end of next season, while adding bits and pieces here and there this off-season.

Two big acquisitions that are free agents at the end of 2025 are Darcy Fogarty and LDU.

Fogarty is 24 years old and seems to me to be on the cusp of breaking out as a forward you can build a forward line around, particularly with someone like Dan McStay acting as the taller target. LDU is well-known to most footy observers and presents as the two-way midfielder we need, capable of winning the ball himself but also able to run and spread from contests.

Other notable players who are out of contract at the end of 2025 include Andrew Brayshaw, Finn Callaghan, Tom De Koning, Sam De Koning, Mac Andrew, Leek Aleer, James Worpel, Judd McVee, Noah Balta, Chad Warner, Oscar Allen, Jake Waterman, Marcus Bontempelli and Ed Richards.

Obviously the cost (salary and possible picks) to prise out some of the names above won't be worth the potential reward (e.g. Bontempelli), however the market appears a lot more appealing than this year's free agency/out of contract player market.

We should also give credit to our club's list management team for ensuring that most of our players are under contract until the end of 2025, with Maynard, Hill and Harrison probably being the stand-outs and who I would expect will receive new deals between now and the end of next season anyway.

Based on your previous comments - why would any of these players choose Collingwood? Isn't Kangaroos and Hawthorn where it's at?

1. Collingwood captains mean something usually reserved for Magpie lifers. Look at every single Magpies captain in the AFL era.... every single one retired as a Magpie.
Darcy Moore is not moving anywhere.
I find this a little ironic since Darcy’s own father was a Collingwood captain that finished his career at Melbourne.

Based on your previous comments - why would any of these players choose Collingwood? Isn't Kangaroos and Hawthorn where it's at?
Harry Sheezel is a very different proposition to most of the other players in the free agency/out of contract list. He's essentially North's equivalent of Nick Daicos. Your posts were essentially sooking that Sheezel wouldn't just automatically jump ship as soon as Collingwood came calling, due to your disdain for North.

Not everyone has the same standing at their club as Harry Sheezel, but you likely know this and are still sooking about it rather than dealing with the reality that not everyone sees Collingwood in the same way you do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of that can’t be attributed to injuries though.

Being ranked 17th for kicking and disposal efficiency and 17th for uncontested possessions tells me we haven’t ever gone hard enough at guys with good ball use
and our game style is far too reliant on slingshot football, rather than occupying the football. Both hand in hand though, Fly probably recognises we aren’t good enough by foot to play a different type of brand.
These things aren't just products of skill though. They're products of game plan. If you drill blokes to go forward at all costs with wave running and kicking off the ground, your disposal efficiency and uncontested possession numbers aren't going to be as good as teams who drill blokes to spread and release to a bloke in space in order to control the footy.

Gotta say, I can’t believe some of the hysterical tripe being suggested and posted here.

You’d think it’s the Richmond board.

I’m still basking in the glow of a premiership and an amazing 2 year ride. Wouldn’t trade it for the world.

Sure, the house needs a little renovating. We’ll work through it.

Can we trade a few posters instead?
Yep agree. I think people are getting a little bit over hysterical, the trading of the future first….. yeah not great in hindsight but complaining about it isn’t gonna change anything.

Can’t believe some are legitimately suggesting trading Darcy, the last thing we wanna do in our down year is destroy team culture. Our captain isn’t going anywhere. JDG isn’t going anywhere.

Hopefully the slow build up of young talent begins this year and goes into next when we can get Tom McGuane, he’ll be a great player to start that with.

And speaking of the Tigs board what a sad sad place that is, still blaming the umpires for everything even when they lose by 10 goals every week and are sitting second last. This place has been one of the good ones, don’t turn it into that

Look at the Cats, they had a down year last year after winning the flag and look at them now, back in the running somewhat again, were they suggesting trade Danger, trade Stewart, trade Cameron? No.

These things aren't just products of skill though. They're products of game plan. If you drill blokes to go forward at all costs with wave running and kicking off the ground, your disposal efficiency and uncontested possession numbers aren't going to be as good as teams who drill blokes to spread and release to a bloke in space in order to control the footy.
We seem to be caught between chaos and control, likely due to what looks the opposition is prepared to give us.

As our side's confidence has been eroded, we're less inclined to pull the trigger, throw caution to the wind and move the ball through the middle. We then resort to kicking down the line and end up trapped in a territory battle.

Carlton are much the same. Whenever they begin to slow their ball movement down and kick down the line, teams know they've won the tactical battle up to that point. North executed it well in the first half on Sunday but couldn't sustain it for the remainder of the game, while other teams like Geelong and GWS have had success in restricting their run through the middle and then countering when they turn the ball over.

Having two targets forward of the ball (i.e. one in the centre square and one who you can kick to in forward 50) means you can go through the middle with more confidence. McStay back should assist us as being the lead up target, however we need another reliable target who can create a contest in forward 50 if we're unable to release runners in the middle when going inside.

Harry Sheezel is a very different proposition to most of the other players in the free agency/out of contract list. He's essentially North's equivalent of Nick Daicos. Your posts were essentially sooking that Sheezel wouldn't just automatically jump ship as soon as Collingwood came calling, due to your disdain for North.

Not everyone has the same standing at their club as Harry Sheezel, but you likely know this and are still sooking about it rather than dealing with the reality that not everyone sees Collingwood in the same way you do.

Please stay objective not subjective and pretend you are a mind reader. Cheers.

I was merely pointing the double standards of your contention.

Please stay objective not subjective and pretend you are a mind reader. Cheers.

I was merely pointing the double standards of your contention.
Recognising that there are certain players who are highly unlikely to seek a trade from their current club to another, such as a Nick Daicos or Harry Sheezel, isn't a double standard.

Assuming that players will just jump ship from a team like North to Collingwood on the basis that we're Collingwood is entirely subjective and fails to take into account a myriad of factors that are objectively relevant to players and not necessarily supporters.

Cheers.

Seems he regretted that decision in hindsight. Has talked about it a bit. Even with winning Brownlow there.

Lol....Darcy's dad ALSO had to contend with playing in 5 losing Grand Finals (and a draw) being captain of losing GF sides and coping with all the turmoil and pressure of the VFL trade wars, administration woes and starting a new family. He went to Melbourne on big dollars and less pressure. And regretted it.

If you've ever met and spoken to Darce, you'd know leaving the club is not on his radar.

I really hope we go hard at Barrass.

Moore needs to find enjoyment in footy again, I would love to see him play Fwd/Ruck.

Move on Cox.

Also happy to throw Caleb Daniel a lifeline, his ball use is elite off half back.

Three pronged fwd line of Moore, McStay and Checkers will cause issues. Imagine Checkers getting the 3rd best defender.
Id like to see battle from St Kilda and barrass,then use Moore on a wing and Howe can be used as a swingman

Gee I feel like I've killed Bambi's mum with the hypothetical Moore trade :p Was only ever curiously expanding on a scenario, and I still don't think it would be the end of the world if it happened.

But I would be interested to see what other bolder trade moves we could make to reinvigorate an older, slower list. We have Jamie, Howie who can still put some pace on. But not in the middle, and it's where we seem to get carved up. Besides Nick, and Crispy in some instances, who do we have as clearance monsters who can clear the ball quickly?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back