List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes.
DeGoey needs serious physical rehab. I don’t think he has the will.
I’m sure other teams also see this. We ain’t getting 2 first rounders for him.

I'm pretty sure we would be getting 2 first round picks, considering Tigers Rioli and Bolton are both expected to be traded for 2 first round picks each to the Suns and Freo...

I still have this feeling we’ll pull off another surprise Shoota style acquisition (minus trading a first rounder), more in the sense of getting a player that we had no link to and no reports saying that’d we get them.

Remember until that report that we were interested in Shoota there was no speculation prior that he was coming

Geez you would hope there is no future first involved in trading for a role player.

Nothing against shooter love his aggression at the contest and ball but that's got to be off the table.

I'm pretty sure we would be getting 2 first round picks, considering Tigers Rioli and Bolton are both expected to be traded for 2 first round picks each to the Suns and Freo...

I don't think you understand how Collingwood’s trading works.
There would be un doubted "excuse" made up why he's only worth a early second.

Meanwhile we would pay a first and 2nd for role playing club man.

Last edited:
DeGoey is out for the season now. We haven't been able to get Jordy to play a full season for the past 4 years. I actually don't think Jordy has played a full season since he started in 2015. He is 28, and a fantastic player, and on his day is as good as anyone.
If a club like Richmond, who could have 5 or 6 first round picks this coming draft. If they were willing to pay 2 first round picks for Jordy, one in the top 10 and one late first round, would everyone be open for the club to look at that trade?

Maybe a North Melbourne but the club wouldn't entertain it whilst they think they have another flag in them.

I’d rather keep our old players, trade our young players on the fringe for future picks and top up our depth in the SSP again.

Harvey Harrison and Joe Richards look like they can be players but are they ever gonna be core players?

The way I see it, if your core is strong you don’t need too much quality in the fringes. You just need guys that follow instructions and suit the game style. We should instead be stockpiling picks in the future so we can make a play at a core player for when Pendlebury and co retires, rather than retiring them early to get games into fringe players.
I don't think guys like Richards and Harrison are the ones you'd look to trade. They've done enough to look promising, but not enough to increase in value, so you'd be getting rid of the more likely guys from a draft range to replace them with guys from a similar range. They're the kind of guys you'd look to trade in rather than out.

They’re going to lose Bolton and Rioli, and potentially Martin. I doubt they’re going to willingly offload anyone else.

Hopefully Richmond bend Freo over and give it to them sideways for Bolton.

Make them give up minimum two first rounders and a second.

Baker might also leave.

Hopefully Richmond bend Freo over and give it to them sideways for Bolton.

Make them give up minimum two first rounders and a second.

Baker might also leave.
I’m torn. I want Freo to get reamed, but I also don’t want to see Richmond getting potentially 5 first round picks in what’s looking like a pretty strong draft.

I’m torn. I want Freo to get reamed, but I also don’t want to see Richmond getting potentially 5 first round picks in what’s looking like a pretty strong draft.
Maybe even 6 if those trade suggestions play out - as they have a draft hand with lots of point carrying picks to trade up in the draft.

They still have to nail the picks.

If Bolton, Baker, Martin, Rioli leave then someone like Lynch may retire or want out?

I doubt Yze survives the rebuild.

Yeah we probably need to start transitioning to some of these kids from next year, first cab off the rank is probably Sidebottom as much as I don't want to say it, as I don't think I'd be keen another year-older version of this year's Sidebottom holding back a spot we can use to get some development into the kids.

Maybe Crisp as well, his best games this year have only been 60-70% of what his peak used to be, so unless he's been playing through something chronic that we haven't been told about all year and it can be fixed for next year then there's a tough conversation to be had there as well.

Mitchell is a hard one, foot problems for a 31 year old who already wasn't really known for covering the ground all that well (which is a key part of today's way of playing footy) are a real concern.

Elliott is another with a call to make, his most recent injury sounded a bit nasty and while he's come back from it ok how much more punishment does he want to put his body through in his age 32 year?
100 % agree, the Cats are a perfect example, replenish on the run and don't bottom out. I'd have no problem if any 1 or 2 of the above mentioned players were to retire, Sidey should be retiring and I believe Billy may call it quits.

How many of those size players do you think a best 18 can have before we get bullied every week?

You need the right mix. Although McGuane looks to be tracking good enough to be a no brainer selection.
My point is a team can only afford so many small bodied short people before the balance goes out of whack.
Elite Footy IQ and skill trump size.
Otherwise I’d agree.

Maybe a North Melbourne but the club wouldn't entertain it whilst they think they have another flag in them.
Exactly, no reason why we can't challenge next year, once we get a decent preseason into this group and hopefully with a surprise addition or two during trade week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or having a size Bully like Cripps dominate a quarter and not being able to counter it

If you’re saying you’d pass on McGuane despite his elite talent, for a bigger body young mid then I can’t agree.
That kid would need a few years to be capable of matching it with Cripps.
McGuane however could well be like ND and a contributor from Day 1.

If you’re saying you’d pass on McGuane despite his elite talent, for a bigger body young mid then I can’t agree.
You’re getting me too excited now.

I'm not talking about McGuane.

I'm talking about the myriad of names being thrown up and listing sub 180s types as if a team could field many of them with no bigs.

If he's willing to play some VFL if he's not performing, I'd keep him. He's still a better fringe player than Long, Bytel, Sullivan, Macrae, Markov, Noble, Lippa - and none of that group are going places - so you wouldn't be concerned that hes keeping them from getting games or robbing them of a list spot if we cut there instead.
Agree re playing ability, I am curious whether (possibly we have no idea) whether his salary adjusts as he becomes more of a back up. Is it within the rules to combine a coach and playing role?

If we do take this approach, probably means the coaches don’t think Long, Bytel, etc, are able to fill the gap and can be improved upon. Do you think we should keep any of them?

Agree re playing ability, I am curious whether (possibly we have no idea) whether his salary adjusts as he becomes more of a back up. Is it within the rules to combine a coach and playing role?

If we do take this approach, probably means the coaches don’t think Long, Bytel, etc, are able to fill the gap and can be improved upon. Do you think we should keep any of them?

I think there's enough who have been on a list for a while but aren't looking likely to cut without needing to push any veterans.

Begg, Sullivan, Long, AJ, Macrae, don't look likely to me. Probably Bytel too. I think Reef will ask for a trade.

I think the AFL have gone soft with future pick trading and more flexibility will be more exciting and have teams lower on the ladder competing for premierships much sooner.

At the very least:
1. Be able to trade future picks for FS and Academy players. Give clubs the priority of picking them, but if they don’t have a pick in the round they are selected, let them use a future pick if the equivalent round.

2. Where contracted players agree, let clubs put them up for trade on draft night. players could even nominate a contract price and length prior to the draft.

3. Play around with a protected first round pick framework. Possibly something where the club receiving gets to keep the pick and club that has it protected get the pick straight after the one that was traded. Can even be caveats around it eg, only future top 5 picks are protected; or only for teams that are perennial cellar dwellers; or you get to use the protected future pick and forfeit the first rounder in following future year. (Would have worked well for our Daicos draft).

We have a severe deficit of A grade talent in the under 26 bracket. You can’t trade your way out of a mess like that…even Geelong plundered the draft. It’s actually remarkable that with all our salary cap and trading woes over the last 5 years that we are still contending. So much waste!

I’m certain the beat Thi g would be to trade some top end older talent, for picks or trading currency.

As much as I rate Degoey, he doesn’t not play consistently…a premiership contender will be pay too dollar for him.

There’s not much else we can give to transform the list in a positive way.

Yes on the FS, no on the Academy. The whole point of these changes is to make it difficult for Northern Academy clubs to do what GC did last year with obtaining multiple high end prospects for nothing picks. So what if they have no Father sons yet? Some clubs get hardly any worthwhile FS recruits. Adelaide have had 1 in their history. Fremantle haven’t had any at all. GC took 3 players last year alone tO mAkE uP fOr NoT hAvInG FaThEr SoNs.

Why should northern clubs be benefiting from the same discount to players who now are being pumped out of their academies at a rate of knots, as players who in some cases only arrive once in a decade or more?

Adelaide have had 3;
Ben Jarman
Jackson Edwards
Max Michalanney

Fremantle had Brett Peake.

According to 7 news, we havent offered sidey a contract at this point. So he's in a holding pattern. Unsure what his future holds.

It's time for a kid to take Sidey's place in 2025.

I think he ends up getting a 1-year deal on a low salary.

It goes without saying that his spot in the starting 22 would be far from guaranteed, which I am sure the club will make very clear. However, at this moment he is still in our best side. While I don't think we will end up making finals this season, I am bullish that if we are able to gave some injury luck with key players, we can compete next season in an incredibly even competition.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back