List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Is anybody familiar with the AFL rules around a player retiring at the end of a season and then a couple of months later joining another club as a rookie?
I’m sure there are rules because it can’t be that easy for a player to change clubs.
For context, someone is insisting it’s that easy and I don’t buy it. You’d never have to trade for players.

I was hacked about 2 or so months ago. Tried to get Twitter to reverse it/ review it and they found nothing wrong with anything on the account despite a new (fake) email put on the detail of the account. I just decided to leave it all together.
I had a farm in Africa.

Is anybody familiar with the AFL rules around a player retiring at the end of a season and then a couple of months later joining another club as a rookie?
I’m sure there are rules because it can’t be that easy for a player to change clubs.
For context, someone is insisting it’s that easy and I don’t buy it. You’d never have to trade for players.
Don't you have to be out of the game for a year post retirement?

Daniel Lloyd tried to nominate for the mid season draft for Brisbane and come out of retirement (he’s an assistant there) but wasn’t allowed as he had retired and wasn’t delisted and he didn’t play in the reserves long enough

Daniel Lloyd tried to nominate for the mid season draft for Brisbane and come out of retirement (he’s an assistant there) but wasn’t allowed as he had retired and wasn’t delisted and he didn’t play in the reserves long enough
Ok cos Shiels retired in August 2022 and was then rookie listed on 22nd November 2022 with North.
Seems like there must be more to it otherwise players and clubs could exploit it.

A few points really stood out
  • bucks et al wanting to trade Grundy but overruled by Eddie (wow)
  • “There’s been a certain gung-ho attitude to Collingwood’s trading, which seems to be based on getting the deals done regardless of cost, rather than haggling for worth.”

We do need some young quality talent coming through
Hopefully we can add either or both of a KP and mid this year to Tom in 2025 which would make our youth / talent profile look a lot stronger
Matt Rendell said several years ago that the Football Dept had agreed not to renew Grundy's contract after we were reportedly offered 2 first round picks for him. But Ed rode rough shod and demanded we re-sign him. The Footy Dept then only wanted to offer 3-4 years but they were again over-ruled. People said at the time that it was sour grapes by Rendell. But Bucks confirmed that it was true. Ditto with Beams.

It's not that easy. If they retire, they can't be signed as SSP. They can't nominate for the MSD - they're out for a year.

It's not that easy. If they retire, they can't be signed as SSP. They can't nominate for the MSD - they're out for a year.
Cheers for that. I thought so.
Are you familiar with the specific circumstances behind Shiels being able to be picked up as rookie by North only 3 mths after retiring from Hawks?

Should Fly be relaying this information in a presser, or is better to keep it in club?
Players who are out of contract may not be aware that is the club's thoughts at this stage...
Fly generally doesn't say anything publically that he hasnt relayed internally. But he did say he wouldn't go into detail to the media

Cheers for that. I thought so.
Are you familiar with the specific circumstances behind Shiels being able to be picked up as rookie by North only 3 mths after retiring from Hawks?

Mal Michael pissed off Brisbane by retiring and then nominating for the preseason draft to essendon about a month later. They brought in rules to stop it happening.

I don't know the specifics about Shiel, but my guess is he announced his retirement, but then was officially delisted rather than lodging retirement forms nad retiring officially.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few points really stood out
  • bucks et al wanting to trade Grundy but overruled by Eddie (wow)
  • “There’s been a certain gung-ho attitude to Collingwood’s trading, which seems to be based on getting the deals done regardless of cost, rather than haggling for worth.”

We do need some young quality talent coming through
Hopefully we can add either or both of a KP and mid this year to Tom in 2025 which would make our youth / talent profile look a lot stronger
The one dark stain on Eddy’s CV. Beams, and not trading Grundy to Adelaide for multiple first round picks.

Let the bakers bake the bread

Matt Rendell said several years ago that the Football Dept had agreed not to renew Grundy's contract after we were reportedly offered 2 first round picks for him. But Ed rode rough shod and demanded we re-sign him. The Footy Dept then only wanted to offer 3-4 years but they were again over-ruled. People said at the time that it was sour grapes by Rendell. But Bucks confirmed that it was true. Ditto with Beams.
FM Ed.

Truly appalling interference and incompetence by McGuire - pity the FD didn't stand up to him and resign en masse - did the rest of the Board kowtow to him as well?

McGuire gave the game away a year or so ago when he said, "I ran Collingwood for 20 years".

In the last few years that was definitely a problem

Truly appalling interference and incompetence by McGuire - pity the FD didn't stand up to him and resign en masse - did the rest of the Board kowtow to him as well?

McGuire gave the game away a year or so ago when he said, "I ran Collingwood for 20 years".

In the last few years that was definitely a problem
Some leaders believe they are utilising common goals to facilitate the growth of others. Unfortunately too many have outsized egos and see people as subordinates - serving them on their journey to power, wealth and greatness.

Last edited:
If GWS are looking to move him and throw in a pick I'd take Haynes. He still has elite footy in him when he's on the park.
He was a fantastic defender a couple of years ago. And it sounds like he's going well at VFL. Why aren't they playing him?

The Dandenong Stingrays junior has been a dominant force at VFL level across seven appearances in the reserves this year, recording 32 or more disposals in five of his last six games - his most recent being a high of 39 touches and 12 marks in defence against Box Hill.

He was a fantastic defender a couple of years ago. And it sounds like he's going well at VFL. Why aren't they playing him?

The Dandenong Stingrays junior has been a dominant force at VFL level across seven appearances in the reserves this year, recording 32 or more disposals in five of his last six games - his most recent being a high of 39 touches and 12 marks in defence against Box Hill.
Seconds is a lot slower. Disposal skills at a level where it seems like they are passing to the CHB rather than the CHF.

That being said, he’d be a handy fill in for 2025-6. TJ being a season or two off.

Last edited:

Eddie really did stay waaaaaay too long didn’t he

Should Fly be relaying this information in a presser, or is better to keep it in club?
Players who are out of contract may not be aware that is the club's thoughts at this stage...
He said nothing of any substance. The whole article was pathetic. Named Pendlebury and Howe as OOC when Pendles has re-signed and if Howe has hit his trigger(as reported elsewhere), then his next contract has been automatically created.

A few nomes to follow that havn't been listed recently (no inside information just my thoughts):
  • Baku Khamis WBD 24yo, 191cm defender OOC. We apparently tried last year before he signed a 1 year extension.
  • Charlie Ballard GCS 25yo, 196cm defender, contracted to 2025. With Mac Andrew starting to look good he may be surplus and there are rumours GCS are clearing cap space for big $ trades.
  • Jack Lukosius GCS 23yo, 195cm defender/forward, contracted to 2026. GCS clearing cap space?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back