List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

It might be Joe, it might not - but we'll need to give something if we want to improve our draft hand and with limited spots on the list, the club might consider trading out a couple / few players if the price is right to provide drafting / list flexibility

Some names we mightn't like to see go
Will be interesting to see who that might be if it plays out that way.

I reckon if we recruited someone with Joe's skills and game sense we'd be over the moon. So why would we trade him?
No idea

But I think they’ll trade a couple / few and they need someone with value
Players w value tend to be those that would still that perhaps would keep?
They may think to get a pick they want, he’s the one that goes.
Maybe it’s someone else.

Not for me. He's a very good player and would make our list much, much better, but I hate the idea of constantly wanting to punch one of our own players really, really hard in the face.
Everyone is less punchable in a Collingwood jumper, although Fritsh1t would be the exception, I would want to punch until he oozed out of it

Whats the go with Joe Richards?
Looks to me like he may be going to be used as trade bait to maybe nab another 2nd round pick? Then do we look to trade up the draft order into the 1st round packaging our 2nd picks?
It might be a scenario where we try trade in a future second and trade out of our first next year again into one this year. Try bank future second rounders to match Mcguane

I’d prefer Haynes to Keane tbh.

of those turning 29 yo or older next year, only 4 had no injuries YTD-2024

of those injured, most were out for either multiple weeks or long-term

clearly, not all soft-tissue injuries and the early start to the season a likely contributing factor ..

but wouldn't want to be pushing the age profile of the group out any further by bringing in more 30+ yo
  1. Scott Pendlebury (36) - bicep (impact?) <multiple weeks>
  2. Jeremy Howe (34) - groin & hammy <multiple weeks>
  3. Steele Sidebottom (33) - no injury but noticeably slower
  4. Mason Cox (33) - knee (impact) <multiple weeks>
  5. Jamie Elliott (31) - vascular <multiple weeks / long-term>
  6. Brody Mihocek (31) - hammy (soft tissue) / pec. (impact) <long-term>
  7. Tom Mitchell (31) - foot (plantar) <long-term>
  8. Will Hoskin-Elliot (30) - hammy (soft tissue)
  9. Jack Crisp (30) - no injury
  10. Dan McStay (29) - ACL / structural? <long-term>
  11. Darcy Cameron (29) - no injury
  12. Darcy Moore (29 next Jan) - no injury
  13. Jordan de Goey (29 next March) - groins / hammy (soft tissue) <long-term>

clearly, not all soft-tissue injuries and the early start to the season a likely contributing factor ..

but wouldn't want to be pushing the age profile of the group out any further by bringing in more 30+ yo
Good points. I hadn’t really given it much thought tbh and was just comparing the pair. Looking at the bigger picture age is a consideration although this year was a bit out of the box re injuries. Our youngsters don’t seem to be immune to long term injuries and multiple week set backs so I guess it’s always a risk. Keane still looks a bit lost to me so Haynes for a couple of years seemed a reasonable risk short term.

Good points. I hadn’t really given it much thought tbh and was just comparing the pair. Looking at the bigger picture age is a consideration although this year was a bit out of the box re injuries. Our youngsters don’t seem to be immune to long term injuries and multiple week set backs so I guess it’s always a risk. Keane still looks a bit lost to me so Haynes for a couple of years seemed a reasonable risk short term.
Where the age factor kicks in is when does the player ‘fall off the cliff’? Some blokes can still play top level at 34, but it certainly isn’t the norm.

A few reasons I would be cautious on Haynes - age - we need to get younger not older. Secondly, his best role is like Darcy Moore. Not sure he would be a great fit for what we need

Where the age factor kicks in is when does the player ‘fall off the cliff’? Some blokes can still play top level at 34, but it certainly isn’t the norm.

Do they really fall off a cliff or is it just a gradual decline. In most sports it seems to me that if a 28 year old gets an injury or is out of form - it's just an injury or being out of form. But if an older player gets an injury or is out of form - they're cooked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if we could somehow swap Richards for Liam Ryan.

Imagine Bobby, Schulz, Jamie and Ryan in our forward 50.

I must say, I’m a huge fan of his and I think he’d be absolutely lethal in McRaes game style.

Do they really fall off a cliff or is it just a gradual decline. In most sports it seems to me that if a 28 year old gets an injury or is out of form - it's just an injury or being out of form. But if an older player gets an injury or is out of form - they're cooked.
Some have a gradual decline, which is why they can continue to play at a high standard. Others fall off a cliff. You don’t know beforehand.

Not for me. He's a very good player and would make our list much, much better, but I hate the idea of constantly wanting to punch one of our own players really, really hard in the face.
Me too, can’t stand him, but as I’ve learned, putting someone in a pies jumper makes them instantly likeable.

Me too, can’t stand him, but as I’ve learned, putting someone in a pies jumper makes them instantly likeable.
Doesn't even need to be a jumper - a polo shirt with a magpie on the breast has worked miracles for Leppa.

Doesn't even need to be a jumper - a polo shirt with a magpie on the breast has worked miracles for Leppa.

True… although, now that I think about it, no amount of Collingwood paraphernalia could make Voss look likeable. 😂

Seeing all those ages in brackets is depressing. :eek:

But thanks for the effort of putting it together.

I wonder if we could somehow swap Richards for Liam Ryan.

Imagine Bobby, Schulz, Jamie and Ryan in our forward 50.

I must say, I’m a huge fan of his and I think he’d be absolutely lethal in McRaes game style.
The same rumours were swirling around last year about Ryan and I really wanted us to pursue him but it wasn’t to be. He would have been a better fit for cost than Schultz.

I reckon our forward line is good enough as is. Statistically it’s already one of the most efficient at scoring from entries despite all of our injuries. Need midfielders and defenders more.

Carlton and Essendon are silly if they don’t make big plays.

Rayner's a good player however I assume he'll be asking for upwards of $800k a year. If so, he's not good enough to justify spending that much on. As others have noted, he seems to be a bit of a downhill skier.

imo he is a disappointment.

this season is his best year with 25 goals from 20 games. that's ordinary for a no 1 pick.

A few nomes to follow that havn't been listed recently (no inside information just my thoughts):
  • Baku Khamis WBD 24yo, 191cm defender OOC. We apparently tried last year before he signed a 1 year extension.
  • Charlie Ballard GCS 25yo, 196cm defender, contracted to 2025. With Mac Andrew starting to look good he may be surplus and there are rumours GCS are clearing cap space for big $ trades.
  • Jack Lukosius GCS 23yo, 195cm defender/forward, contracted to 2026. GCS clearing cap space?
I've been mentioning Khamis to mates for the last 6 weeks. We tried to get him last year, I hope we're trying again this year. Good age, is ready to play

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back