List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s starting to remind me of jaryd Blair 2013-14 ish till he got finally sacked
Schultz has hardly any tricks which for a small forward isn’t ideal

When he was at Freo, he looked quicker, and was quite freakish at kicking a goal. To me this season he's looked slow, not as fit and misses simple goals, like he did on Friday night.
I just want to see a trimmed down, fitter looking Schultz in 2025. One thing l will say though us that Schultz is a very good overhead mark for his height. So if he can find another yard or two, he will be a 35 goal kicker in 2025....

When he was at Freo, he looked quicker, and was quite freakish at kicking a goal. To me this season he's looked slow, not as fit and misses simple goals, like he did on Friday night.
I just want to see a trimmed down, fitter looking Schultz in 2025. One thing l will say though us that Schultz is a very good overhead mark for his height. So if he can find another yard or two, he will be a 35 goal kicker in 2025....
Definitely agree he doesn’t look fit.. which is amazing in itself

Might be the eventual replacement for Elliott’s role

What would you give up for him pluggy? And is he a “need”

He's not a "need" per se. He's just a speculative pick on the hope that he progresses into being an inside mid. Has good size. He's probably worth exactly the same as Fin Macrae in a trade which to be honest... is very little.

This guy without fail has popped up every trade period for the last 3 years...🤣
He is contracted to the Suns for at least another year, and l think he should stay there for his remaining year there....
Acquire Will Brodie and Fiorini, get Harry Lemmey and that's the solution to all our problems! Even in a bundle you look at them and realise, it's not!

Make your case for each. Otherwise they may as well be guesses.
Hawks. Check out their mids.
Gee. The best defender in the comp played local footy. Their Rising Star was a Premiership full back. A steeple chaser is the best utility in the past 30 years. Etc….
Swans. Take rejects and re-invent them. Check out their VFL. Chock with players that walk into others.
GWS. Go look at the team that just embarrassed the Lions. Go see how many are over 30. Go check out their ladder position. Jesse Hogan?… washed up and worthless. Look at him now.
Dogs. About to win the 2024 flag. Constantly around finals. VFL dominant for past 10 years.
….I’ve tried to keep it brief.

I’m still holding out judgement on Shoota til we have a full squad in. See if he is the right cog in the machine or not then. If he was like this with no injuries and no loss of form then I’d be backing most here on him.

As for the physical part, I wonder if he’s similar to IQ bulking up and lost his pace a guile getting the ball or we rebuild him over preseason to try to be impact player in bursts like Swanny.

Whatever the approach is taken by the club this off season, there needs to be a real deep dive into the list not only for next year, but the next 5 years at least.
With Tassie coming in and compromised drafts on the horizon, we have, l think the oldest list in the competition, so we need to regenerate.
As much as l love the champions of our club, Pendles, Sidey, Howey, WHE, Mihocek and Mitchell, we do need to start retirement phases for these players. Obviously stagnate them over the next 3 years, but it should start from this off season, as we want to start giving regular exposure to the youth on the list in 2025.
Maybe we need to also be bold in trading and see how we can get back into the first round of this draft, or maybe obtain two selections in the first round.
This draft is deep, so we can get ourselves a good young mid or a good HB, as HB's are becoming more important as the game styles evolve, along with a key position player.
This season in the light of day has been an absolute disaster on all fronts. Firstly dropping anywhere from 10 to 12 spots on the ladder. Secondly, only seeing minimal development in the youth on the list. Richards, Sullivan and Long have shown their capabilities, but their not 18 or 20 year olds. I still have hope for DeMattia and Jiath in particular that they can come on next year, the others are a wait and see. Really hope a Eyre comes along and can slot into our AFL defensive mix next year. Thirdly we are going to hand Freo 6th or 7th pick in a very good draft particularly the top 10 to 15 picks. We could have got ourselves a decent mid or running HB or Key position player with our pick, but that ship has now sailed and we're stuck with our choice.
So we need to be a bit bold this off season with retirements, shrewd trading, drafting young talent, all this whilst picking up a couple of "moneyball " players that can fill a role for us next season.
This off season is going to be a pressure pot for the list management team after the fall from grace this season by the club....

Last edited:
Hawks. Check out their mids.
Gee. The best defender in the comp played local footy. Their Rising Star was a Premiership full back. A steeple chaser is the best utility in the past 30 years. Etc….
Swans. Take rejects and re-invent them. Check out their VFL. Chock with players that walk into others.
GWS. Go look at the team that just embarrassed the Lions. Go see how many are over 30. Go check out their ladder position. Jesse Hogan?… washed up and worthless. Look at him now.
Dogs. About to win the 2024 flag. Constantly around finals. VFL dominant for past 10 years.
….I’ve tried to keep it brief.
In every case Coll has done the same thing.
Hawks Mids - just natural maturity and development of youth. No different to JDG, Pendles, Sidey coming of age.
Geel - we converted Brodie from back to fwd, Howe from fwd to back. Turned an American into an excellent Ruckman. Converted a reject in Markov to a premiership player, similarly an outcast in Frampton. Turned Cameron into what’s looking like an AA Ruckman.
GWS - restart of Hogan is no different to what we’ve done with Brodie, Howe, Markov, Noble etc
Dogs - our record of Finals and GF’s and Flags since 2016 is better.
I think Richards and West are example of good development, but current success is due to high draft picks.

In summary I don’t see huge advantages in player development from any of your examples over Coll.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whatever the approach is taken by the club this off season, there needs to be a real deep dive into the list not only for next year, but the next 5 years at least.
With Tassie coming in compromised drafts on the horizon, we have l think the oldest list on the competition, we need to regenerate.
As much as l love the champions of our club, Pendles, Sidey, Howey, WHE, Mihocek and Mitchell, we do need to start retirement phases for these players. Obviously stagnated them over the next 3 years, but it should start from this off season, as we want to start giving regular exposure to the youth on the list in 2025.
Maybe we need to also be bold in trading and see how we can get back into the first round of this draft, or maybe obtain two selections in the first round.
This draft is deep, so we can get ourselves a good young mid or a good HB, as HB's are becoming more important as the game styles evolve, along with a key position player.
This season is the light of day has been an absolute disaster on all fronts. Firstly dropping anywhere from 10 to 12 spots on the ladder. Secondly only seeing minimal development in the youth on the list. Richards, Sullivan and Long have shown their capabilities, but their not 18 or 20 year olds. I still have hope for DeMattia and Jiath in particular that they can come on next year, the others are a wait and see. Really hope a Eyre comes along and can slot into our AFL defensive mix next year. Thirdly we are going to hand Freo 6th or 7th pick in a very good draft particularly the top 10 to 15 picks. We could have got ourselves a decent mid or running HB or Key position player with our pick, but that ship has now sailed and we're stuck with our choice.
So we need to be a bit bold this off season with retirements, shrewd trading, drafting young talent, all this whilst picking up a couple of "moneyball " players that can fill a role for us next season.
This off season is going to be a pressure pot for the list management team after the fall from grace this season by the club....
Long is younger than Nick

Why would we trade blokes like Noble?

Pies have absolutely no kids coming through the best one was Harrison who has just done an ACL.

Club will run it back with this list for one more year and assume injuries were the reason for the huge drop off.

I’d be very disappointed if guys like Jiath and Parker haven’t usurped Noble and/or Markov in the team in 2025.

With Tassie coming in compromised drafts on the horizon, we have l think the oldest list on the competition, we need to regenerate.
As much as l love the champions of our club, Pendles, Sidey, Howey, WHE, Mihocek and Mitchell, we do need to start retirement phases for these players. Obviously stagnated them over the next 3 years, but it should start from this off season, as we want to start giving regular exposure to the youth on the list in 2025.
This season is the light of day has been an absolute disaster on all fronts. Firstly dropping anywhere from 10 to 12 spots on the ladder. Secondly only seeing minimal development in the youth on the list. Richards, Sullivan and Long have shown their capabilities, but their not 18 or 20 year olds. I still have hope for DeMattia and Jiath in particular that they can come on next year, the others are a wait and see. Really hope a Eyre comes along and can slot into our AFL defensive mix next year. Thirdly we are going to hand Freo 6th or 7th pick in a very good draft particularly the top 10 to 15 picks. We could have got ourselves a decent mid or running HB or Key position player with our pick, but that ship has now sailed and we're stuck with our choice.
I agree. If the coaches think they can win again next season then go for it with what we have. If they don’t think we are a serious chance then I think we need to make some tough decisions and gutsy calls and try and regenerate before the Tassie impact hits.

We are the oldest and most experienced list

Hawthorn's list is 2nd youngest list + 3rd most inexperienced including players you mentioned

Not saying get rid of everyone under the age of 23 but agree we do really need our kids to come along

The data gets a bit skewed when you’ve got a 37yo with 400+ games.

Long is younger than Nick

True, by a month. He still isn't the young 18 or 19 year old gun mid coming through the ranks.
He is still a suspect 22 year old ( next season) recycled midfielder that may or may not offer what we need.
In saying that, out of the first year players, Long and Richards are the ones that l think may be able to be regular 22/23 next season....

Make your case for each. Otherwise they may as well be guesses.
Name me 5 clubs where they only have two players drafted since 2019 that has played more than 20 games left on the list

You really have lost control of your spin doctoring. If you're a Hine fan, think our trading has been top notch and there are no issues with our player development please tell me why we have not being able to establish any best 22 players from our drafting in the last 5 years apart from Daicos and McCreery. We've had 5 first round picks and 4 second round picks in that time.

I think we have the drafted talent on the list. We're just not giving them opportunities. I can understand why we didn't last year but this year with all our injuries is when when we should have pumped games into our drafted talent. Instead we're wasting valuable game time on delisted SSP/MSD plodders who have done nothing to make us perform better in the short term as we're bottom 8.

Last edited:
Tbf under Fly it's been best 22 in a Prelim and Premiership team.

Which player in particular has been under developed? Who should have the ability to be best 22?
Yes agreed about 2023. We had a great injury run and generally a full list to select from. This year though with all our injuries, the fact that we haven't been able to develop any drafted young players is a failing.

I have no big issues with us falling away after a premiership year. Injuries happen, it was always a possibility and it was great that we nabbed one. Apart from not having a first round picks to look forward to this year, the worst thing is that we haven't invested into any opportunity starved young talent this year apart from Harrison. Instead we have to endure watching delisted rejects from bottom sides and SSPs like Bytel, Long, Sullivan and even Markov get long stretches of games with marginal impact. They do nothing for our future or our ability to regenerate.

It's just a wasted year when we have generational players like Naicos and Pendles still running around.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back