List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

All the players you mentioned were from Buck’s/Malthouse era. Fly simply put the full stop on their work.
Markov has gone backwards and is worthy of delisting.
Nick Daicos started training with us when Bucks was around (I would imagine the same will happen with McGuane). Over the past 3 years, Fly has brought no kids along that has claimed their place and improved.
Bucks had: DeGoey, Moore, Murphy, Cameron, Cox, Checkers, Langdon, Bruz, Grundy, Phillips… even Mayne was re-tooled.
Malthouse: Thomas, Pendles, Rocca, Sidebottom, Beams, Wellingham, Reid, Brown, Blair, Macaffer, Anthony, Swan, Fraser, Davis (Nick and Leon).
McCrae….?
Who?
That’s on McCrae (as head coach) and his team of coaches. Not one junior has come in and come on. He has nothing to replenish with. I can only see us sliding down the ladder unless he pulls out a rabbit. Heat will be on next year.
12 months is a long time in football.
We’ve had a great time giving eachother tongue baths in 2024. He needs to do a lot of re-tooling during summer or shit’s gonna get ugly real quick.
I think my post adequately compared our development to those Clubs you suggested were superior. They are not.
The above digression doesn’t change any of those facts.

It is ridiculous to bag a Coach who won a flag in his 2nd year, that no “kids have come in”.
The hardest thing for a kid to do is break into a premiership team.

If Fly made it a priority to blood youth from day 1 would we have won the flag?

Last edited:
Correct. He hasn’t been able to stake his claim. He was given chances.
Ditto McInness.
Allen and Ryan have been around for 2 years.
Nothing. None of em.
I have stated this before - Clarko said a few years back you sometimes need up to 4 years to develop player, some nuggets pop up in their first year ( e.g. Naicos) but most need developing, DeMatia and Allan are 1-2 years into their development, TJ one .... patience i s a virtue that most club supporters dont have unfortunatley but I am sure our club will do well as they can over next 2-3 years. My hope is that Harry D and Allan come on - Reef and Macrae are a watch, ReefI think they just have not found where playing him is best, and he is confusd about his week to week changing role, this is not good for a developing player. HH is also one who came on this year - fizzed near backend probably out of gas - another pre season will help.

Strong word is, Keane and Berry across from the Crows. I’m tipping JFN will go home as part of the deal.
Johnno as steak knives. I can imagine we’ll pay part of his last year (just to get rid of him).
Plus either McCrae/McInness/Steene or a second rounder (weren’t the Crows keen on Steene at the end of 2023).
Offloading JFN will create a large need for a good user out of defence. We have the cap space. I can see us making a play for Perryman (UFA).
So, getting Keane, Berry, Perryman
and losing cash + Johnson, Steene, JFN would be awesome!
Strong word? From whom?

I’m not particularly keen on Caleb Daniel but would it be a net gain for the club to trade Noble to fund Berry/Keane and then acquire Daniel via a salary dump trade?

Recent trading and sub-par drafting has left us with a lot of work ahead to get us back to the top of the ladder, we may need to get very creative at the trade table.

For as long as Noble is at the club, I would not entertain the thought of getting Daniel as you couldn’t play them together. But if you effectively traded Noble for Berry and got Daniel for nothing, we might be better off.

I’m not particularly keen on Caleb Daniel but would it be a net gain for the club to trade Noble to fund Berry/Keane and then acquire Daniel via a salary dump trade?

Recent trading and sub-par drafting has left us with a lot of work ahead to get us back to the top of the ladder, we may need to get very creative at the trade table.

For as long as Noble is at the club, I would not entertain the thought of getting Daniel as you couldn’t play them together. But if you effectively traded Noble for Berry and got Daniel for nothing, we might be better off.
I think we need to replace Murphy with a like, and need another 2 young mids to back up Naicos over coming years. But watching many games this year it appears speed is one of the essences to winning many games, and pressure. Watching Hawks yesterday, I couldnt really name one player who was standout, they just all played well across the field, and were quick to roll back and defend - something our mids rehulalrly do not do ( no tank on players like Bytel, Long etc I guess).

Banging on incessantly about the trade for Schultz by SO many posters here is tiresome, meaningless and a waste of bandwidth, Thattrade is not the reason for dropoff, other teams worked us out and countered accordingly, and we got shown up.. Our lack of talented depth also showed.

We keep recruiting, keep training and have acrack again next yeat hopefully with less injuries and maybe one or two nuggets picked up in trading.

Last edited:
I think we need to replace Murphy with a lie, and need another 2 young mids to back up Naicos over coming years. But watching many games this year it appears speed is one of the essences to winning many games, and pressure. Watching Hawks yesterday, I couldnt really name one player who was standout, they just all played well across the field, and were quick to roll back and defend - something our mids rehulalrly do not do ( no tank on players like Bytel, Long etc I guess).

Banging on incessantly about the trade for Schultz by SO many posters here is tiresome, meaningless and a waste of bandwidth, Thattrade is not the reason for dropoff, other teams worked us out and countered accordingly, and we got shown up.. Our lack of talented depth also showed.

We keep recruiting, keep training and have acrack again next yeat hopefully with less injuries and maybe one or two nuggets picked up in trading.
Personally, I think we've got it right by targetting serious runners like HDM, Jiath, Allan and Ryan. It the way the game has gone and will continue to go. Need them to develop.

A lot depends on who does what regarding recruitment of players from other lists - and there's a fair bit of guesswork on my behalf, but my assumption is that a bloke like Cameron was the product of the recruitment department's scouting, whereas Titch would have been overall footy department decision where the recruiters are just a vote with coach and list manager holding more sway. With some of the guys who were more exposed but not established like WHE and Hill, I think that the recruiters would do a heap of work in order to assess them - a bit of a combination of recruiter and footy department. I've highlighted what I think is likely to have played the biggest role in getting the bloke to the club

Premiership teams come from about 15 years of recruiting (18 in our case). We added about 8-10 blokes a year - heaps of misses, a lot of trades that didn't help us get there, as well as some great trades and great drafting with the added luck of father son and academy access players. We won that flag having been significantly above average for the relevant years - and thus having been given below average recruiting chips by the AFL. Overall, building a premiership team is bloody good recruiting. And whilst Dekka has been in charge, we've recruited two very different premiership teams with only two pieces overlapping.
Great analysis / response - a really good read, thought process / opinion

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This "talk" about Berry is crazy too. The Crows have finally found the midfield piece they've been missing and you think they'll just trade him out for Johnny Noble??? They'll pick up Lukosious and they'd probably take AJ and make him useful up forward because they have young, tall KF's alongside Tex.
We might get Keane, but Berry will be out of bounce for everybody now he's hit form.

We don't have much to trade with this year. So we have to very smart.

THE TARGET SHOULD BE LIAM RYAN FROM WEST COAST HE IS GETTABLE MAYBE FUTURE SECOND ROUNDER.
GET HIM PIES.IMAGINE RYAN, HILL, SCHULTZ, ELLIOT MIHOCHEK AND MACSTAY FORWARTD LINE PRETTY DYNAMIC
who's gonna stop that ??????????????

Enough of the list cloggers and NQR players we have enough of them. We have to hope that next year we have a healthy list and have a last crack with this group.
End of 2025 a few will retire and our salary cap opens up. We will not be paying Treloar's salary that ends and a few players will go THEY ARE PLENTY OF FREE AGENTS NEXT NEXT TIME TO SWOOP PIES !

THE TARGET SHOULD BE LIAM RYAN FROM WEST COAST HE IS GETTABLE MAYBE FUTURE SECOND ROUNDER.
GET HIM PIES.IMAGINE RYAN, HILL, SCHULTZ, ELLIOT MIHOCHEK AND MACSTAY FORWARTD LINE PRETTY DYNAMIC

Enough of the list cloggers and NQR players we have enough of them. We have to hope that next year we have a healthy list and have a last crack with this group.
End of 2025 a few will retire and our salary cap opens up. We will not be paying Treloar's salary that ends and a few players will go THEY ARE PLENTY OF FREE AGENTS NEXT NEXT TIME TO SWOOP PIES !
Another small forward?!
I'd pref more mids that could both help us win the ball and stop them rolling w momentum
I'd prefer some running HBFs of KP that could shore up our D50

No. Not for me.

Another small forward is the last thing we need. We play too many as it is.

Small forwards is not what we're lacking.

We need quality midfielders to help Nick.

You can have all the best forwards & defenders in the comp, but if you can't get it out of the middle, win the clearances & stoppages, it means nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back