List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

They attempted a few years back but never came to fruition. I don’t see that suddenly changing now he is almost 28. Prob missed the boat with that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How much mid time did he play at training- because I can never remember any sequence of games playing predominantly mid.
If Stewart can do at 31, there’s plenty of time for Bruzz. He could be developed like Crisp was from HB.

Last edited:
The big difference is Howe had an elite skillset for an intercepting role. Has Lukosius got an elite skillset for any role?
His elite skill is his kicking. He's also listed as 195cm with "fantastic running capacity" (from GC website).

To me someone with those skills should be considered for the wing. It surprised me, but Acres from Carlton is listed at 194cm and has been one of the preeminent wings in the last 2 seasons for them.

Essendon have looked to develop tall wings as a strategy to place themselves above others, with varying levels of success. As a no. 2 pick who has shown that he can play at the level, Lukosius could be a very good addition and at 24 may just need a change of scenery.

How much mid time did he play at training- because I can never remember any sequence of game playing predominantly mid.
If Stewart can do at 31, there’s plenty of time for Bruzz. He could be developed like Crisp was from HB
Bit like Beau over the last year or so.
A bit of centre bounce off and on, but thats it.

His elite skill is his kicking. He's also listed as 195cm with "fantastic running capacity" (from GC website).

To me someone with those skills should be considered for the wing. It surprised me, but Acres from Carlton is listed at 194cm and has been one of the preeminent wings in the last 2 seasons for them.

Essendon have looked to develop tall wings as a strategy to place themselves above others, with varying levels of success. As a no. 2 pick who has shown that he can play at the level, Lukosius could be a very good addition and at 24 may just need a change of scenery.

Possibly, but to me his price would have to be that of a speculative wingman if you're recruiting him for wing.

It’s said luko enjoys a carefree lifestyle up on GC so if he were to leave I can imagine it would be back to SA of anyone
Prob wouldn’t enjoy a big club like ours with a lot of pressure.

He’d be under the microscope in a two team like Adelaide as well.
Might be better off where he is if that’s an issue.

I’d take him to play 3rd tall.
Great kick

Possibly, but to me his price would have to be that of a speculative wingman if you're recruiting him for wing.
I think you recruit him to get him in the door, however have a ceiling which you don't wish to exceed.

The intention would be to play him as a wing, however I'd be pretty open-minded about where he fit in our system. Wing seems to be the logical position to me given our current mix, perhaps with instructions/licence to either go forward or fold back.

The ceiling for me would probably be our 2nd round and possible our future 2nd, but it would really just depend upon what Gold Coast are willing to trade, which could also be dependent on their interest levels in any players we may have that would be willing to move.

As someone else pointed out earlier in the thread, the game is changing to run/speed and skillful link up (just look at Hawthorn yesterday). So looking forward we need to be targeting players with high volume running capacity or speed (which with HDM, Jiath, Ed I think we've got a few) and need to surround them with elite disposal users to distribute and set the chains in motion. Ironically it's not too dissimilar to what won us so many games in '22/23 with runners like Crisp, Noble, Markov and IQ - being set up by the skills of the Daicos boys and Pendlebury/Howe from defense.

Couple that with your spot on comment regarding the evolution of wingman - and you can see a bit of a blueprint of how teams want to play. Fast run and carry from D50, and use a taller marking wingman with elite disposal being the option to either kick i50 or back inside the corridor if needs be (plus be a bail out option down the line from defence). For me Ed Allen could be this player, however he seems best suited to be a dominant big body mid inside the contest, so targeting someone like Lukosis would be a great get if we had the capital to pull it off. It is a shame neither AJ or Reef have developed the tanks required for such a role, as their size and skillsets could've made for interesting "experiments" out on the wings.

I personally think this taller wingman type will be the new "Dusty" role that everyone will fall over trying to find options for. By that I mean it will become the new "hyped up" role that everyone has to go and find a version of, similar to everyone trying to find a Dusty/JDG/Trac clone during that 2017-2021ish era. Josh Weddle at the Hawks will be the blueprint for it imo - great size, elite skills, solid hands in marking contests etc.

As someone else pointed out earlier in the thread, the game is changing to run/speed and skillful link up (just look at Hawthorn yesterday). So looking forward we need to be targeting players with high volume running capacity or speed (which with HDM, Jiath, Ed I think we've got a few) and need to surround them with elite disposal users to distribute and set the chains in motion. Ironically it's not too dissimilar to what won us so many games in '22/23 with runners like Crisp, Noble, Markov and IQ - being set up by the skills of the Daicos boys and Pendlebury/Howe from defense.

Couple that with your spot on comment regarding the evolution of wingman - and you can see a bit of a blueprint of how teams want to play. Fast run and carry from D50, and use a taller marking wingman with elite disposal being the option to either kick i50 or back inside the corridor if needs be (plus be a bail out option down the line from defence). For me Ed Allen could be this player, however he seems best suited to be a dominant big body mid inside the contest, so targeting someone like Lukosis would be a great get if we had the capital to pull it off. It is a shame neither AJ or Reef have developed the tanks required for such a role, as their size and skillsets could've made for interesting "experiments" out on the wings.

I personally think this taller wingman type will be the new "Dusty" role that everyone will fall over trying to find options for. By that I mean it will become the new "hyped up" role that everyone has to go and find a version of, similar to everyone trying to find a Dusty/JDG/Trac clone during that 2017-2021ish era. Josh Weddle at the Hawks will be the blueprint for it imo - great size, elite skills, solid hands in marking contests etc.
I think you're right. Acres is a good example, as is Jeremy Sharp who is listed at 189cm. Others include Oliver Dempsey (187cm) and Nic Martin (192cm - listed as a medium defender, however Champion Data has him pegged as one of the top wings).

Counterpoints to those two would be the likes of Errol Gulden (175cm) and our own Jaicos (178cm), however both have good footskills and great aerobic capacity.

I also think our recruiting / list management team needs to see the trade periods for 2024 and 2025 as almost the one window. That is, put some pieces in place in this window where possible (Berry, Lukosius) as long as it doesn't break the bank, then target free agents in 2025 (LDU, maybe Darcy Fogarty, Balta, O'Callaghan, Farrell, Oscar Allen, Bont). Obviously there's a bit of luck as well as skill involved in attracting free agents, and quite a few will likely re-sign or just won't be interested (i.e. Bont) however the net should be cast wide at first to gauge interest.

As someone else noted above, supporters' patience and their memories are very short, however our recruiting / list management team in my opinion needs to hold the line and commit to a definite strategy that doesn't just look to obtain the best player(s) available in this window.

They have enough money to bring in Rioli or would have of dusty left so implies the cap isn’t good had that they would again offload players for cap room.
So can’t see that happening

With the amount of young talent at GCS, I suspect their cap is always going to be an issue. If they don’t pay up early, they will
continue to have players poached. This will mean the odd player will be shed from time to time to keep their cap in check.

I think you're right. Acres is a good example, as is Jeremy Sharp who is listed at 189cm. Others include Oliver Dempsey (187cm) and Nic Martin (192cm - listed as a medium defender, however Champion Data has him pegged as one of the top wings).

Counterpoints to those two would be the likes of Errol Gulden (175cm) and our own Jaicos (178cm), however both have good footskills and great aerobic capacity.

I also think our recruiting / list management team needs to see the trade periods for 2024 and 2025 as almost the one window. That is, put some pieces in place in this window where possible (Berry, Lukosius) as long as it doesn't break the bank, then target free agents in 2025 (LDU, maybe Darcy Fogarty, Balta, O'Callaghan, Farrell, Oscar Allen, Bont). Obviously there's a bit of luck as well as skill involved in attracting free agents, and quite a few will likely re-sign or just won't be interested (i.e. Bont) however the net should be cast wide at first to gauge interest.

As someone else noted above, supporters' patience and their memories are very short, however our recruiting / list management team in my opinion needs to hold the line and commit to a definite strategy that doesn't just look to obtain the best player(s) available in this window.

Spot on in regards to Errol and JD, there off course will be the "outliers" that have a unique skill or top-elite trait that go against the norm - like Neale despite his size, still being a dominant inside-mid in age of the Cripps, Bont, Tom Green's etc.

I think you're right in terms looking at 24/25 as a packaged deal. This is the year for a few astute pick ups, fill a few needs or target some fringe young talent, and look at the larger OOC names in 25/26 (if you can get them as "Pre agents"). The market is a bit bare atm, and anyone seriously "gettable" for us is probably not to an elite standard or a guarantee to improve us straight away - not saying there isn't good talent available, just nothing of that star quality you mention with LDU and Oscar Allen caliber players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spot on in regards to Errol and JD, there off course will be the "outliers" that have a unique skill or top-elite trait that go against the norm - like Neale despite his size, still being a dominant inside-mid in age of the Cripps, Bont, Tom Green's etc.

I think you're right in terms looking at 24/25 as a packaged deal. This is the year for a few astute pick ups, fill a few needs or target some fringe young talent, and look at the larger OOC names in 25/26 (if you can get them as "Pre agents"). The market is a bit bare atm, and anyone seriously "gettable" for us is probably not to an elite standard or a guarantee to improve us straight away - not saying there isn't good talent available, just nothing of that star quality you mention with LDU and Oscar Allen caliber players.
I failed to mention Mac Andrew. He's out of contract next season and would be a massive get for anyone that's able to prise him away from GC.

Part of any team's success is having strength in depth. It's why someone like Berry would be a good fit for this season's trade period as he isn't a star but has shown the ability to play at the level. His tackling is something we lack in the middle and he puts up some reasonable numbers each week.

I'm not sold on Keane, however he wouldn't be the worst acquisition either (provided we don't throw our second-round pick at Adelaide for him). A future second could be acceptable, although I expect that we'd use that on Berry if he wishes to come to us.

I failed to mention Mac Andrew. He's out of contract next season and would be a massive get for anyone that's able to prise him away from GC.

Part of any team's success is having strength in depth. It's why someone like Berry would be a good fit for this season's trade period as he isn't a star but has shown the ability to play at the level. His tackling is something we lack in the middle and he puts up some reasonable numbers each week.

I'm not sold on Keane, however he wouldn't be the worst acquisition either (provided we don't throw our second-round pick at Adelaide for him). A future second could be acceptable, although I expect that we'd use that on Berry if he wishes to come to us.
Mac Andrew will be offerred $850k plus by clubs next year - just gotta choose his home ( hope its us !)

Hawks getting a pick upgrade and Ginni.

The most arrogant trade I can remember.
In hindsight, I thought we would be up and challenging this year and didn’t see the Hawks rapid rise. Ginni wanted out, probably the best we could do at the time and looked OK. It all depends on who we get with those picks.

That’s what the Melbourne coaches said too. Howe “wanted to ply forward”.
we don't need another flakey flanker who doesn't feel the need to defend / tackle & do his bit when we don't have the ball.

he's a taller version of Lipinski

Just on Lukosius, i have grave doubts Gold Coast will be letting him go for anything like a second-rounder, as has been speculated in here. He's been a bit of a disappointment, but there are a couple of Adelaide clubs who would love to try to turn him into a top-liner, not to mention half a dozen clubs in Melbourne. He has at times performed like an A-grader, just not consistently

He will still command a pretty high pick IMO, wherever he goes, which rules us out as any chance. Not to mention if he even wants to come and play at Collingwood. If he did, we would probably have to use our future first again...

Just on Lukosius, i have grave doubts Gold Coast will be letting him go for anything like a second-rounder, as has been speculated in here. He's been a bit of a disappointment, but there are a couple of Adelaide clubs who would love to try to turn him into a top-liner, not to mention half a dozen clubs in Melbourne. He has at times performed like an A-grader, just not consistently

He will still command a pretty high pick IMO, wherever he goes, which rules us out as any chance. Not to mention if he even wants to come and play at Collingwood. If he did, we would probably have to use our future first again...
He'll end up at one of the Adelaide clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back