List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

We don’t have any picks to trade - currently - however if a player of Petracca’s calibre wants to come, surely we make it happen by trading out a decent up and coming player and/or a young player with potential - eg Joe Richard’s to a team needing dangerous fwd, Ed Allen has shown promise and could be one to trade to a WA team like the Eagles. Reef? Bundle up any picks we can to get back into the first round this year, offer that plus next years first.

I highly doubt that if Petracca publicly announces he wants out they make him stay, particularly if he has some knowledge of failed processes that occurred and haven’t been disclosed around the treatment of his injury, let alone some of the cultural issues at Melbourne that have remained outside of the public spotlight. He would have a lot of leverage to demand a trade.

Finals will be interesting - if noone can run with Sydney or Hawthorn - footy will shift very quickly away from the slower mids.
think it's already shifted!

on-ballers that do it both inside & out are worth their weight in gold. and it's not necessarily left to 1 or 2 to do one or the other (eg. only Mitchell or Long at Pies to get it inside & give to outside runners), it's the expectation across the board for all your on-ballers to do both

it's not a new phenomenon but i think it's reasonably rare for a team to have that mix with all (most) of their mids contributing both inside /out

Haw's wave running, from all parts of ground, is super impressive and reminds me of the Bris team in the early part of Matthews' tenure (see demolition of Pies last game at Vic Park, rd 22 1999)

when they get the ball, they refuse to kick or HB unless they first draw a man ..they power run with the ball and draw the defence before giving off (hawks top 1 or 2 in league for taking on & breaking tackles ..quite bizarre for such a young team)

best in league right now at running in waves /overlap .. probably on par with GWS when they’re in full tsunami attack mode

they’re also super strong & competitive at clearance and stoppage - strong bodies & hard nuts in Newcombe, Nash, Worpel, Day, Moore, Weddle, do it equally well on the inside & on the spread - so, they often have the ball going their way.

and, their talls are playing out of their skin, both forward (Chol, Dear), back (Scrimshaw, Frost, Sicily) and ruck (Meek)

with the addition of Barrass next year, as an experienced /big-bodied key back ..

We don’t have any picks to trade - currently - however if a player of Petracca’s calibre wants to come, surely we make it happen by trading out a decent up and coming player and/or a young player with potential - eg Joe Richard’s to a team needing dangerous fwd, Ed Allen has shown promise and could be one to trade to a WA team like the Eagles. Reef? Bundle up any picks we can to get back into the first round this year, offer that plus next years first.

I highly doubt that if Petracca publicly announces he wants out they make him stay, particularly if he has some knowledge of failed processes that occurred and haven’t been disclosed around the treatment of his injury, let alone some of the cultural issues at Melbourne that have remained outside of the public spotlight. He would have a lot of leverage to demand a trade.

His family are the ones who prefer him to seek a trade out of Melbourne

think it's already shifted!

on-ballers that do it both inside & out are worth their weight in gold. and it's not necessarily left to 1 or 2 to do one or the other (eg. only Mitchell or Long at Pies to get it inside & give to outside runners), it's the expectation across the board for all your on-ballers to do both

it's not a new phenomenon but i think it's reasonably rare for a team to have that mix with all (most) of their mids contributing both inside /out

Haw's wave running, from all parts of ground, is super impressive and reminds me of the Bris team in the early part of Matthews' tenure (see demolition of Pies last game at Vic Park, rd 22 1999)

when they get the ball, they refuse to kick or HB unless they first draw a man ..they power run with the ball and draw the defence before giving off (hawks top 1 or 2 in league for taking on & breaking tackles ..quite bizarre for such a young team)

best in league right now at running in waves /overlap .. probably on par with GWS when they’re in full tsunami attack mode

they’re also super strong & competitive at clearance and stoppage - strong bodies & hard nuts in Newcombe, Nash, Worpel, Day, Moore, Weddle, do it equally well on the inside & on the spread - so, they often have the ball going their way.

and, their talls are playing out of their skin, both forward (Chol, Dear), back (Scrimshaw, Frost, Sicily) and ruck (Meek)

with the addition of Barrass next year, as an experienced /big-bodied key back ..
Agree with you. Running is king, but a lot of sides still play one or two slower inside types. Even Hawks have Worpel. Port will go in with Wines and Boak. Dogs Libba. Their days are numbered though. How numbered may depend on how well Port go in finals with their two and whether they get exposed.

Last edited:
As a far out there scenario. Say if the Pies offered a Quaynor to the Suns, and they were interested, despite him being contracted.
We offer Quaynor and pick 31 and a future 2nd or 3rd, for pick 10, 20 and 47. We use pick 10, McInnes or Allen and a future 2nd or 3rd for Petracca and pick 43 ?
That would give Melbourne 2 picks in the top 10 this draft, plus a young up and coming player from us.
We get a pick in the top 20, plus 3 2nd round picks....
Probably a bit out there!!!

Agree with you. Running is king, but a lot of sides still play one or two slower inside types. Even Hawks have Worpel. Port will go in with Wines and Boak. Dogs Libba. Their days are numbered though.
yep.
-Worpel ..Newcombe & Day are prob as equally inside as Worpel but their outside work is super impressive (both run)
-Wines (yep) .. Horne-Francis beast inside & out, whilst Rozee & Butters both go hard inside & spread
-Libba (yep) .. Bont (see Horne-Francis), T.Richards (see Rozee), Treloar (seagull inside & runs all day)

I’d trade Darcy Cameron and future first for Trac.
They need a replacement for Gawn and some forward power and we have a little ruck depth.

Ruck depth with Steene and Smit? Cox will be done in 12 months...
I’m fine with that.
Especially given that we’d likely be able to pick up a spare parts ruck from somewhere as well.

I’m very optimistic about Smit. He gives me Darren Jolly vibes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you've seemingly heard everyone wants to come to the pies, no offense but you seem to post this a lot about any player. Battle, Smith etc
I’m pleased that you’re paying attention to my posts. Quite flattered actually.

We were leading the race for Battle for a long way. It is only of more recent that Hawthorn have trumped our offer- quite significantly too. The club thought that they could still get a deal done for Smith despite not having a first rounder. Dogs have told Smith that they will take the best deal for him regardless of who he nominates.

Normally the guy who shares what he has been told is pretty good. I’m not going to lie, my plums get excited by posting his stuff.

The latest he has told me is that pretty much every club has said that they won’t deal with us because we have nothing they want available.

I’m pleased that you’re paying attention to my posts. Quite flattered actually.

We were leading the race for Battle for a long way. It is only of more recent that Hawthorn have trumped our offer- quite significantly too. The club thought that they could still get a deal done for Smith despite not having a first rounder. Dogs have told Smith that they will take the best deal for him regardless of who he nominates.

Normally the guy who shares what he has been told is pretty good. I’m not going to lie, my plums get excited by posting his stuff.

The latest he has told me is that pretty much every club has said that they won’t deal with us because we have nothing they want available.
Watch us get trade deals over the line.

Unfortunately you haven’t offered any insight as to why they were successful.
That’s the problem with your argument- until you do then luck is the only logical alternative.

They've been successful for different reasons in different eras. The clubs who've racked up multiple flags in recent times have done so through through being more innovative - coaches having a vision and building a different game style - Cats, Hawks and Tigers. We've won a couple through tagging onto the end of other team's styles. Hawks current style will win flags - either through them, if they're good enough or someone who follows it. You've got to be the innovators to sustain success.

If you know my track record why hate then? I post about 1/2 things a year now with good info,

I got told about the whole Trac situation and posted it at the time this was a while back.

He is massive chance to leave, pretty hard with the contract, the family are still fuming.

Go have another drink you angry drunk.
The family being pissed thing is correct.
Fact.

Gawn: -Trac is contracted, I can't guarantee he will be at Melbourne.
We are all unhappy with the current direction of the club, we missed finals.
I respect a captain for stepping up and saying something, unfortunately less said the better.
Respectfully disagree - in this case if Gawn's comment creates a bit more sh#te at Melbourne, this can only be a good thing

Agree we were lucky with injury in 2010 - can't believe that Hawthorn's sustained success was solely due to luck

They picked up a pretty handy zone when they were introduced which set them on the path.Interesting that the then VFL should gift them such a treasure trove when it was a zone that could more reasonably be aligned with StKilda who got given Ballarat. Remind me, who was pulling the strings at VFL house around that time.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back