List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm probably misjudging because he just gets so much footy linking up that I'm thinking only of that and underestimating his inside game.

I was on his bandwagon earlier in the year - but I was thinking Pendles would pull up stumps. For me, Pendles, Macrae and Mitchell is too slow. I think even two of them probably is.
We're playing Ned Long at the moment alongside Pendles so there's definitely room to improve our "slow" midfielders. We've desperately missed Mitchell this year. Our mistake trading Adams was thinking we would not get any injuries to our inside mids

The pies really dont have anything to offer.

We still have a core that can win a flag in 2025.

But a lot of list cloggers to go with the oldies. Johnson (contracted next year really should be playing AFL somewhere), Long, Bytel, Begg, Macrae (contracted maybe get a late 3rd or 4th for him), Ryan (contracted), Richards is a class player but 26 next year (Keep unless getting a pick in 20s for him) Sullivan (Id keep)
Kreuger (ok depth...no value)
I'm being very optimistic.

Noble I love but Id be open to offers. We have Jiath, Parker, Markov.
McInness I'd keep. I think he could be an answer to shutting down sides in last quarter. And looking how Hawks are going we need bigger bodied mids who can run. I will vomit if we give him up.

We really do need to regenerate our youth. This draft is one to do it in. We should be aiming for as many top 50 picks as possible.

We're playing Ned Long at the moment alongside Pendles so there's definitely room to improve our "slow" midfielders. We've desperately missed Mitchell this year. Our mistake trading Adams was thinking we would not get any injuries to our inside mids
Yes and we're too slow. Transition has been a bigger issue than stoppage this year in both directions.

I agree with you on Adams' and depth, but the beauty of him last year was that he performed as a half forward. Would Macrae or Mitchell?

Getting Macrae as depth improves the list, but realistically Macrae isn't moving to be depth.

Port and Carlton are the only relevant teams at the moment playing multiple plodders in their midfield. It's hurt Carlton. Let's see how Port go in the finals. If they don't get exposed - fair enough, but I think it's likely that they will.

As a far out there scenario. Say if the Pies offered a Quaynor to the Suns, and they were interested, despite him being contracted.
We offer Quaynor and pick 31 and a future 2nd or 3rd, for pick 10, 20 and 47. We use pick 10, McInnes or Allen and a future 2nd or 3rd for Petracca and pick 43 ?
That would give Melbourne 2 picks in the top 10 this draft, plus a young up and coming player from us.
We get a pick in the top 20, plus 3 2nd round picks....
Probably a bit out there!!!

OK, now imagine that you’re the Demons’ list manager and just received that offer for arguably one of the best five players in the competition…..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’m pleased that you’re paying attention to my posts. Quite flattered actually.

We were leading the race for Battle for a long way. It is only of more recent that Hawthorn have trumped our offer- quite significantly too. The club thought that they could still get a deal done for Smith despite not having a first rounder. Dogs have told Smith that they will take the best deal for him regardless of who he nominates.

Normally the guy who shares what he has been told is pretty good. I’m not going to lie, my plums get excited by posting his stuff.

The latest he has told me is that pretty much every club has said that they won’t deal with us because we have nothing they want available.

Your last paragraph is VERY believable.

Pies are short one mid sized defender I think

Howe probably plays on for one more year… then it’s Maynard, TJ… Ryan i don’t see at half back long term as I haven’t noticed much intercept marking

then it’s the talls in Moore, Frampton, Dean, Eyre who have the height but probably lack the mobility at times that a slighter 190cm defender does

Luke Cleary from Dogs is a young medium defender who won’t get much of a look in given the dogs veteran defenders and youth defensive stocks

22 year old, 191cm Cleary is under contract til 2026 but would cost minimal trade wise.

Averaging 19 disposals, 6 marks and 2.4 tackles a game at VFL this year

Is also a good kick from the limited footage that I’ve seen of him

Not a glamour name… but with limited draft capital… taking VFL performing under 25s in cheap trades is the way to go I reckon 👍

OK, now imagine that you’re the Demons’ list manager and just received that offer for arguably one of the best five players in the competition…..

Currently he's not in the best 5 players in the competition. He's going on 29, and coming off one of the most serious injuries seen on the footy field in a longtime, relieves the club of a $1.2M per year contract and he doesn't want to be at the football club. There would be alot to think about...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

.....The latest he has told me is that pretty much every club has said that they won’t deal with us because we have nothing they want available.
Pretty much sums it up - good reason not to get too excited about some of the more ludicrous stuff posted in this thread

PS - maybe we could get Petracca if we offered Melb Graham Wright, 1,000 members for one year, a Friday night game and arrange a fifty metre penalty their way in the next 2 K's B games

Last edited:
They've been successful for different reasons in different eras. The clubs who've racked up multiple flags in recent times have done so through through being more innovative - coaches having a vision and building a different game style - Cats, Hawks and Tigers. We've won a couple through tagging onto the end of other team's styles. Hawks current style will win flags - either through them, if they're good enough or someone who follows it. You've got to be the innovators to sustain success.
Exactly - the success is due to a unique set of factors, ideas, game plan, personnel, on each occasion, not a reproducible strategy. These factors change over the years as other teams adapt, or stars players/Coaches retire.

In the specific example of the Hawks great Coaches in Jeans and Clarkson combined with legendary players - Dunstal Brereton, Mathews, Hodge Buddy, etc etc. were the reasons for their dominance.
But this quality of Coaches and players is more a function good fortune than cold hard planning.

Wouldn't Petracca just have to claim negligence on Melbourne's part to make his contract null and void?
I'm sure he has had advice before threatening to leave. I have no idea though 😕

I’m pleased that you’re paying attention to my posts. Quite flattered actually.

We were leading the race for Battle for a long way. It is only of more recent that Hawthorn have trumped our offer- quite significantly too. The club thought that they could still get a deal done for Smith despite not having a first rounder. Dogs have told Smith that they will take the best deal for him regardless of who he nominates.

Normally the guy who shares what he has been told is pretty good. I’m not going to lie, my plums get excited by posting his stuff.

The latest he has told me is that pretty much every club has said that they won’t deal with us because we have nothing they want available.
I pay attention to anyone who says they have inside info

Yeah I know. Lucky we have people who know what they’re doing down there. This was evident with the Schultz trade and the Ginnivan one just last off season. Don’t we dare pay a future for Trac……Schultz is the benchmark for a first!!! Seriously!!!
I’d rather pay a future first for petracca than wasting one on sergeant Schultz

I still reckon the Tim Kelly and Jeremy Cameron trades have pretty much ruined trading valuable players. Can't help but feel like that's in line with what Melbourne would ask for.

He basically has the same career averages as Mitchell. 27 vs 28 average possessions. 10+ contested possessions vs 12 for Mitchell and 4.3 clearances vs 4.8 clearances for Mitchell.

Macraes averages probably dragged down a little also from his last two years of playing wing/forward flank.

He's exactly the type of undervalued cheap gun we should be targeting if we still want to keep contending. Won't be mortgaging our future like we've done with Schultz.
Yes

Go and get him
Might help fins game also

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back