List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Former pick 13, contracted. What would you give up? Our only pick is around 30. If he nominated us it would make for an interesting trade period.
Maybe give up that pick around 30
But we also need to be ready to move up to grab a talented mid or KPP slider

Future first?
How has he done anything that has increased his draft value?
If we give a future first for Ben Hobbs...you would think we would have learned
Next years first will go on Mcguane anyway. We'll get points for young Tom and beef up our midfield for the next 10 years. Hobbs can play, he's worth a first round pick

Next years first will go on Mcguane anyway. We'll get points for young Tom and beef up our midfield for the next 10 years. Hobbs can play, he's worth a first round pick
Oh my lordy. Can you imagine the melts if we gave a first round pick for a Bombers player who can't even get a game with them?

Geelong have their young players develop with patience in the VFL. The Reef and Fin scenarios are common at the Cats. Long would be three years in and out of a Geelong side. It’s only BF posters who think a player should have an immediate impact. A midfielder takes three or four pre seasons to be ready. Talls are normally ready around 25. I ignore the ignorance here.

Case in point Sidey has said he is happy for a young player to push him out and he will do all he can for the betterment of the club. Does anyone here listen to that?

We need to recruit well and top up but I have every faith the club will be in finals again next year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
It's a very salient point.

Geelong, like us, haven't necessarily had the luxury of giving younger players exposure due to being there and thereabouts most years for the last decade or so, therefore they seek to develop them in the VFL.

Others like Richmond and Hawthorn have operated under a different philosophy where younger players, who are typically higher draft picks, are given greater exposure at an earlier stage of their development.

The strange thing about delisting Poulter is that he showed plenty of talent, albeit mixed with inconsistency and sometimes poor on-field decision-making. But those flaws are quite fixable with experience. Talent-wise, he always had a raking left boot, could run all day and knew how to find the footy. By contrast, to my eye, Fin has only ever shown modest amounts of talent/impact, yet he has a contract for a fifth season with us. We kept the wrong one!

Poulter genuinely isn’t that good. He is still the same kid running up and down a wing picking up his 15-18 touches. Kicking long and safe… he is a vanilla slice. I don’t get this love for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh my lordy. Can you imagine the melts if we gave a first round pick for a Bombers player who can't even get a game with them?
And ends up being another top 10 pick lol

I'm with you.

Get Clarry
Get Jordy fit
Crisp rolls back to replace Noble as a back half runner.

Big upgrades in areas of need.

Add in some strategy changes.

Win flag.

Simple.

0f5e01e64a2694c0e53ac95af98c41e6.jpg

2024 2nd rounder + 2025 2nd rounder?

If he asked for the trade, I'd do this deal. I think he's worth 1 pick inside 30 based on current output, I also think he has the potential to become a very good inside mid, that's why we'd want a little extra.

2024 2nd rounder + 2025 2nd rounder?

I haven’t paid any attention to him to know his worth. Bombers took him at 13. How much has he devalued? He’s not playing, so if he wants out they’ll have to accept slightly unders. How much is the ?. draft profile likens him to Adam’s so a type we need.

Interest if true stamps macraes papers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can see Hobbs becoming the new Schultz next year 🤣. Schultz will improve and Hobbs will be the dud pick everyone didn’t want.

Poulter genuinely isn’t that good. He is still the same kid running up and down a wing picking up his 15-18 touches. Kicking long and safe… he is a vanilla slice. I don’t get this love for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure, Poulter isn’t a superstar but he’s good enough to play at the top level in a strong side.

I watched him v.closely live at Marvel in the Dogs’ win over the Dees a couple of weeks ago and he was close to 2nd best on ground, behind The Bont. 23 touches, 7 tackles, 6 marks and a goal from outside 50m. Can’t fault those numbers.

Our cupboard ain’t exactly overflowing with talented youngsters - certainly not to the point that we should have DELISTED him after just two seasons. Meanwhile, Fin is about to enter season No.5 with us…..

Geelong made out like bandits in the trade period in the year they won the flag. So much so that some trading rules were changed after they outrageously took Bowes AND pick 7 from GC for a future 3rd-rounder!!! And they took Ollie Henry from us too. We had no such luck last trade period and this one looks pretty barren for us too.

Not sure how this supports your argument about Coll being cooked with 30+ players because Bowes and Henry are not the reason Geel rebounded.

I think this is a huge risk and big mistake.

Hawthorn showed the way be allowing star Premiership players Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Gunston, etc to move to other clubs for the last year or two of their careers, which created spaces and opportunities for the youngsters that they restocked with. Now look at them.

Did Hawthorn do they right thing? They have been down the ladder for what 8 years (guess) or so since letting them go and they are in 8th spot so no guarantees of success going forward. Who's to say that Hodge and Mitchell staying at Hawhorn couldn't have pushed them up more quickly.

As I’m sure you understand, I was referring to our questionable list management decision-making, not comparing them as like-for-like players.

Apples and Oranges - because we had plenty of Wingers but we needed Mid depth.
Even now he’d still be playing VFL, and I’d be giving Ed games ahead of him.

Last edited:
I think this is a huge risk and big mistake.

Hawthorn showed the way be allowing star Premiership players Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Gunston, etc to move to other clubs for the last year or two of their careers, which created spaces and opportunities for the youngsters that they restocked with. Now look at them.

Don’t think the Hawks are the example we want take here.

They shipped off Hodge, Mitchell and Lewis early to recruit Tom Mitchell, Wingard and O’Meara.

Two of those names aren’t even there anymore and the ones that left is a non contributor.

8 years on and they’ve finally looked liked they’ve recovered from that.

Not sure how this supports your argument about Coll being cooked with 30+ players because Bowes and Henry are not the reason Geel rebounded.

Huh? That’s obtuse, even by your standards, Spinny.

Geelong won the flag and brought in FOUR first round picks/players in the same year’s trade period. That was an incredible outcome for them, wouldn’t you agree?

Huh? That’s obtuse, even by your standards, Spinny.

Geelong won the flag and brought in FOUR first round picks/players in the same year’s trade period. That was an incredible outcome for them, wouldn’t you agree?

Not relevant to your bagging of our list and 30+ cohort, while Geel with a similar profile and likely to finish Top 4.
None of those players from those picks are the reason they’ve bounced back.

I’m being completely clear not obtuse - you are writing off our squad as being uncompetitive next year, while ignoring the achievements of Geel this year after horrendous injuries in 2023.
The parallels are obvious.

Lucky, Digressing to trading doesn’t change the obvious parallels.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back