List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Latest Trac rumour (not sourced🤣) I heard was he was in Noosa for five weeks and Melbourne couldn’t get him back that’s where all this started. Also heard he has met with North.

Unconfirmed but if Noosa is true then I would say he is gone. Based on past rumours if he stays I expect Oliver will be gone.

Interesting to see how this develops because it seems a fractured club right now.

Remember last trade period and early season the media were running with Oliver is done at the club.

Melbourne have to say they are contracted players and required for trade value and brand image with supporters.

Fly stirring the pot is classic 🤣

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

You’re very black and white, in all senses of the phrase, aren’t you? No analysis or criticism of the Club/team will be tolerated! 🤣

I don’t think it’s particularly controversial to say that we are far too dependent on players nearing retirement, or to suggest that our crop of U25 players is one of the weakest in the competition.

If you disagree please tell me which teams rely more on 30+ aged players and also which teams have weaker sets of U25 players. I challenge you to name them.

As far as Geelong goes, IMO they clearly have a much better/deeper set of U25 players, built on a superior recent drafting, developing and trading record. Do you truly disagree?

More than happy for you to do the analysis of U25’s to prove your point.

Last edited:

Geelong's list might have a similar age average (lower once Hawkins is taken out), but they've had some outstanding young players break through too (Holmes, Guthrie, Dempsey, Humphries, Myers) whilst 2 of their older players (Cameron and Stewart) are AA stars level stars. Our older players have been good/reliable at best but none are breaking games apart like those two + danger.

I have no issues with us having another crack next year, I'm pretty content after last year, but I don't think Geelong's situation is similar to ours. if we could bring in 3 or 4 young players like they did I'd be feeling more comfy though!
Neither Guthrie not Miers are young , 26 and 25 respectively.
Only Holmes and Dempsey are standout young players and while Humphries is good I don’t rate him in the same class as the other two yet.

By comparison we have ND, JD, Bobby Hill, McCreery, IQ and HH.
Are they really that far ahead?

Neither Guthrie not Miers are young , 26 and 25 respectively.
Only Holmes and Dempsey are standout young players and while Humphries is good I don’t rate him in the same class as the other two yet.

By comparison we have ND, JD, Bobby Hill, McCreery, IQ and HH.
Are they really that far ahead?
They've also got Bruhn, Henry, Dekoning and a few more who id say have not set the league alight but still clearly first team AFL quality (potential).

I'll throw in a disclaimer that I think Geelong are overperforming this year, but we just don't have the same level of young player coming in over the past few years. If we attack next year and get top 4 again I'd be ecstatic, I just think we have pain coming if we don't trade or draft in some real quality under 25/26 yrs old soonish.

They've also got Bruhn, Henry, Dekoning and a few more who id say have not set the league alight but still clearly first team AFL quality (potential).

I'll throw in a disclaimer that I think Geelong are overperforming this year, but we just don't have the same level of young player coming in over the past few years. If we attack next year and get top 4 again I'd be ecstatic, I just think we have pain coming if we don't trade or draft in some real quality under 25/26 yrs old soonish.
Dekoning yes.
Bruhn and Henry are not in the same class as Holmes.
If we’re talking potential then we have DeMattia, Parker, Ryan, Allen, Smit, Steene, Eyre, Reef, Finn, Dean. TJ.

Last edited:
The strange thing about delisting Poulter is that he showed plenty of talent, albeit mixed with inconsistency and sometimes poor on-field decision-making. But those flaws are quite fixable with experience. Talent-wise, he always had a raking left boot, could run all day and knew how to find the footy. By contrast, to my eye, Fin has only ever shown modest amounts of talent/impact, yet he has a contract for a fifth season with us. We kept the wrong one!

I actually rate Fin Macrae about the same as Poulter.

Reef is more talented than both. And has shown more. So I find all three decisions as a bizarre. Especially considering we’re about to resign Sidebottom, so we will officially be ancient next year - though I get we’re having one more attempt at a premiership before the abyss of doom hits the year after.

Yup
Trading 1st rounders a year prior never have worked our well for us in the past. lets not get sucked into that again. Lets wait until next year when we know the rules. If we have to trade it for points, then we'll get more value than we would now.

We been shit each season after we gave our Future 1st Rounder for

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually rate Fin Macrae about the same as Poulter.

Reef is more talented than both. And has shown more. So I find all three decisions as a bizarre. Especially considering we’re about to resign Sidebottom, so we will officially be ancient next year - though I get we’re having one more attempt at a premiership before the abyss of doom hits the year after.

100% Agree we are having 1 last Flag Tilt next year when lot of Players will Retire at Seasons End

You can. I don't see the sky falling cause it rarely has at Collingwood.

Right, suppose you were too young for the Tony Shaw years. Which this is starting to remind me of tbh. Two years from now: no Howe, no Mitchell, no Pedlebury, no Sidebottom, maybe no Crisp, no Cox, aging Moore, no Mihocek. No WHE. Anyone I miss?

Have a think about that, Domus. Have a long hard think.

1990 We won the premiership. Then…. A lot like this.

"Collingwood duo Fin Macrae and Reef McInnes are gettable this off-season according to AFL Media’s Cal Twomey.

The duo, who were drafted at picks No. 19 and No. 23 in the 2020 Draft, have shown glimpses throughout their four years at Collingwood but haven’t locked down a senior position.

As Macrae has played just eight times in 2024 and McInnes nine times, Twomey says that both players could be pried out of Collingwood if a suitor came along.

At this stage, Macrae is contracted until the end of the 2025 season while McIness, who is out of contract at the end of the campaign, is still awaiting a new deal."

All I can say is doh. :rolleyes:
This was the draft that we had the fire sale for as our management thought it was a strong one. Shows how much they have slipped in last 5 years

Dekoning yes.
Bruhn and Henry are not in the same class as Holmes.
If we’re talking potential then we have DeMattia, Parker, Ryan, Allen, Smit, Steene, Eyre, Reef, Finn, Dean.
I'd be surprised if more than 2 of those players are on our list in 2026. Id date say no-one outside of pies fans would consider them on the same potential level as the two mentioned. I have hopes for Parker and Allen though and who knows with Smit.

Right, suppose you were too young for the Tony Shaw years. Which this is starting to remind me of tbh. Two years from now: no Howe, no Mitchell, no Pedlebury, no Sidebottom, maybe no Crisp, no Cox, aging Moore, no Mihocek. No WHE. Anyone I miss?

Have a think about that, Domus. Have a long hard think.

1990 We won the premiership. Then…. A lot like this.
Of your list of aging stars, 4 are cheapish trades and 2 rookie picks. We need that kinda hit rate again!

I don't see why Clarry couldn't come to us and be surrounded with a fantastic culture and rediscover his best form. Melbourne outside of Gawn (who I don't think is a strong leader), Viney, Truck, Lever etc is an absolute basket case.

It's not like we're talking about some c-grade midfielder, only 24 months ago he was one of the best midfielders in the comp.

At the price we'd have to pay in comparison to Truck to get him, plus the space we'd also have available in our cap, the cost opportunity is perfect to take a huge gamble on getting Clarry right.

I don't see how a huge preseason and getting his niggles right won't do him the absolute world of good.

Could you imagine Clarry at 90% of his best dishing it out to Daicos as a receiver. Literally salivating

I'd be surprised if more than 2 of those players are on our list in 2026. Id date say no-one outside of pies fans would consider them on the same potential level as the two mentioned. I have hopes for Parker and Allen though and who knows with Smit.

You said Geel had “ AFL quality potential ” - but did not mention any names.
My list was referring those anonymous players, which I could just as easily dismiss as you have the players I mentioned.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back