List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I the only one that has some reservations about Christian Petraccas ability to deliver…

……get off the healthy stuff and deliver a half decent chicken shnitty, then I’ll take him a little more seriously. PS chicken Cat Poo is not shnitty.
He is a Norm Smith medallist, so he has some runs on the board.
He'd be a safer bet than Oliver.

What role are we talking? If it’s to ease GW’s workload by replacing Selwood’s forgotten role I’m ok with it. They always seem to have a competitive list that underachieves, IMO, and his bum rap comes mostly from his trade negotiations which I think you’d love if he were your own.

Over the past 4-5 years they’ve added Durham, Caldwell, Caddy, Martin and Perkins who I think would all be better in our system. You go further back and he’s got Ridley, Redman, Draper, Stringer and Wright for basically nothing.

I think it’s culture that’s holding them back not talent acquisition because there’s enough on that list. They are the weirdest club to get a read on though (alongside the Roos who have so much talent and can’t bring it together).
I often think this as well - Dodoro's reputation seems to wax and wane according to which Essendon team turns up every season. He was being lauded midway through this season when they were up and about and is now being pilloried again.

The list has shown that it has enough to compete for top 4, subject to maybe a few tweaks here and there. Stringer almost encapsulates where they're currently at: almost unstoppable on his day, otherwise anonymous.

That star power is why I have it ranked lower than the other two because on depth 2020 was pretty special given none of the vic kids played.

2020 gets viewed as the most impacted draft year, and it probably was the hardest to pick due to no footy at all in top age junior year. But the subsequent drafts all lost the best part of 2 years, rather than 1. Amazing how quickly 2021 and 2022 drafted players have come on.

I don't think it was because we thought it was a strong draft. A few different factors.

1. Salary dumps due to salary cap issues - half our own doing, half covid related.
2. The salary dumps were unpopular and I'm convinced that the trading of our future first for not much was about marketing to appease us angry mob with a big draft haul.
3. Our salary cap strategy wasn't just about the high profile salary dumps - we also cleaned out experienced depth to replace with cheaper kids. Picking up more 18 year olds than normal. And we didn't want all of those draftees to be late picks.

If you go through that draft - it is looking like a dud draft and the last one that you'd want to have loaded up in - but we did. Here's the top 15:

1. Western Bulldogs: Jamarra Ugle-Hagan

2. Adelaide Crows: Riley Thilthorpe

3. North Melbourne: Will Phillips

4. Sydney Swans: Logan McDonald

5. Sydney Swans: Braeden Campbell

6. Hawthorn: Denver Grainger-Barras

7. Gold Coast Suns: Elijah Hollands

8. Essendon: Nikolas Cox

9. Essendon: Archie Perkins

10. Essendon: Zach Reid

11. Adelaide Crows: Luke Pedlar

12. GWS Giants: Tanner Bruhn

13. North Melbourne: Tom Powell

14. Fremantle: Heath Chapman

15. GWS Giants: Conor Stone

16. Port Adelaide: Lachlan Jones
3-19 are an ordinary bunch for where they were selected. Max Holmes at 20 could possibly be number two on a retrospective draft

I'd take him 1.
Ahead of the thrillseeker and Goulden? 2025 is going to be a fun year for Crows fans if they can sort out what they’re doing with Rachele. That core mid group of Dawson, Soligo, Rankine and Laird feeding Thilthorpe and Fogarty will result in a lot of 100+ scores.

Hine needs to be told to stop with those cutesie speculative picks. Year after year of these bulltish picks who don't come on and clog our list and then become a bust leaving us with no trade value. Thanks for your service Dekka, hears ya gold watch! Ps: we can keep you on as a 'consultant' - that model has served us well this year - with you focusing on picks > #40 & the SSP $2 bin but 1st & 2nd rounders are no longer part of your domain

efa - edited for accuracy; or
efa - exaggerated for affect

Last edited:
has to be via trade
He isn't a FA
he's OOC so we have little leverage

this is the problem with prevaricating and letting contracts run down for those you wanna keep

after his early displays & form at the senior level, they should have moved to contract him for 1-2 yrs.

if at seasons end ya wanna move him on, well you can extract some value

Ahead of the thrillseeker and Goulden? 2025 is going to be a fun year for Crows fans if they can sort out what they’re doing with Rachele. That core mid group of Dawson, Soligo, Rankine and Laird feeding Thilthorpe and Fogarty will result in a lot of 100+ scores.
Had forgotten Gulden was from that draft and was only looking at the top 20. Gulden pick 1. Holmes 2. Is Thilthorpe the thrillseeker? Thilthorpe might become Tom Hawkins, but could easily remain a solid player. Holmes is more of a sure thing to be top shelf. Holmes for me.

Had forgotten Gulden was from that draft and was only looking at the top 20. Gulden pick 1. Holmes 2. Is Thilthorpe the thrillseeker? Thilthorpe might become Tom Hawkins, but could easily remain a solid player. Holmes is more of a sure thing to be top shelf. Holmes for me.
You’d be correct on Thilthorpe. I was speculating on us chasing him start of 2024, but that ship has well and truly sailed. I was thinking Richo rather than Hawkins as I wrote that although I get your reasoning for Holmes ahead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really? Petracca literally makes us premiership favourites in 2025 and is a great of the game. Mcreery has been borderline best 22 the whole year, easily replaceable by Richards, and Quaynor has been very mediocre
No way is McCreery easily replaceable. Look at how our season went off the rails and how disjointed our half forwards looked without him?

Yes. I left Gulden out simply because he was a Swans Academy Player and they were always taking him. They had rated him highly since he was 14.

What role are we talking? If it’s to ease GW’s workload by replacing Selwood’s forgotten role I’m ok with it. They always seem to have a competitive list that underachieves, IMO, and his bum rap comes mostly from his trade negotiations which I think you’d love if he were your own.

Over the past 4-5 years they’ve added Durham, Caldwell, Caddy, Martin and Perkins who I think would all be better in our system. You go further back and he’s got Ridley, Redman, Draper, Stringer and Wright for basically nothing.

I think it’s culture that’s holding them back not talent acquisition because there’s enough on that list. They are the weirdest club to get a read on though (alongside the Roos who have so much talent and can’t bring it together).
Dodoro has been at Essendon for over 30 years though. Surely the past 20 years since they last won a final can't all be put on an "underachieving list?" Like maybe for a fair chunk of that it's a list that has achieved as much as it was worth.

Someone called up sen saying Caleb Marchbank would be at the Pies next year...

Don't shoot the messenger, only repeating what was said on talk back.

Haven't heard his name mentioned as someone we'd be interested in 🤮

Last edited:
McStay Hill Mitchell Lipinski Kreuger Cameron Markov Frampton etc did not cost a mountain of picks
D’Ambrosio, Chol Ginnivan Gunston did not cost Hawks a mountain of picks last year
Remember we can trade players out to, not just draft picks
A lot seem to assume that Hawks have a lot of high draft picks & are equating that to their rapid success this year.

In fact, they've picked up a lot of players (like you mentioned) who were on the scrap heap or under appreciated from other clubs..similar to what we've done.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back