List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

We must be going for another premiership push. Keeping all the oldies is a big indication we are trying to poach someone I reckon.
We'll be trying to win the flag next year, but I don't think keeping the oldies speaks much to recruits. More to the reality that we've got a lot of 22+ year olds who haven't kicked on and become senior players. Johnson, Krueger, Macrae, Begg, Sullivan, Bytel, Long. It means they're in trouble. Cutting oldies wouldn't add much future potential - it'd simply mean adding an extra really late pick or SSP player.

Can't see how we can get a deal done on Petracca. the cost will be 2 first's and they'd expect one of them to be inside 10.

Oliver is a high risk vs high reward deal and maybe cheaper on the trade table. Get Melbourne to pay some of his cash.

The other player is Smith. That seems to have gone cold.
It’s a narrow window and would be almost completely dependent on how the Petracca’s approach it. If they’re united and as ticked off as it sounds then it may not be quite that high a price, but even then it’s still hard to find a path to making the Dees happy. Understandably so too because imagine us losing a non injury prone JDG? We’d be asking the world.

That in a weird way actually makes sense! As much as SOTY’s post does seem to hold weight I can’t get my head around what a deal for Petracca looks like when most have ruled us out of the Smith chase due to a lack of currency 😂

Best I have is a 2025 1st + Allan + ? which is obviously a simplified version of what a deal could look like. The curveball would be if the Petracca’s have made up their mind that he’s out. It has the potential to be the ugliest trade ever.
It's now possible to trade salary cap. We might be able to throw in a million in cap relief to Melbourne (maybe over a few years) if we could get Trac to take a pay cut. They might not need it though and we might no be able to afford it.

Edit: cap trade isn't in this year.

Last edited:
I don’t mean to single you out but I disagree with all of the thinking here.

Our current draft hand is poor. We’re about to finish mid ladder and have given our future first and next year our picks will likely be used for points for McGuane.

If there ever was a way you can bring Petracca (future first, players) then you just have to do it. It’s the area of the ground were poorest in and he’s top 5 in the comp there.

At the very worst all it does it delays a full rebuild by a year. If we’re out of contention next year all you have to do is not renew our veterans, not trade your picks and you can have your rebuild. The salary you pay Trac becomes negligible if all we’re doing is picking up his current contract negotiated pre new tv rights. And even then free agency and picks trading for f/s and academies have changed the game in this regard, we do not need years and years at the bottom to rebuild as long as we remain an attractive club.

On the injury risk itself, it’s not an acl nor a repeat hamstring or soft tissue so with a professional like him I don’t see the issue. Dusty and Trac may play similarly in some aspects but they are nothing alike in preparation. Petracca plays a mid season game against North Melbourne like it’s a Grand Final, Dusty plays like it’s pub football.
I agree - I mentioned in an earlier post that Petracca is one of only a few players you would move heaven and earth to get onto your list.

It's now possible to trade salary cap. We might be able to throw in a million in cap relief to Melbourne (maybe over a few years) if we could get Trac to take a pay cut. They might not need it though and we might no be able to afford it.
We could offer to pay the Demon’s portion of Grundy’s salary.

Interesting to hear one of the reasons Trac was in Noosa was for family reasons, and despite having a legitimate reason to be there the club allowed dissatisfaction within the team by not revealing that. So that's only 1 reason he/his family's noses are out of joint, but you can believe there's plenty of small cuts leading to this moment.

If he's available, you take him. Not only would he be a great leader once Pendles goes, he can help push another 3-4 years of our midfield strength as well as being a great mentor for the kids coming through. Imagine Lachie Sullivan, Long, Allan and Reef all being training buddies with him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We'll be trying to win the flag next year, but I don't think keeping the oldies speaks much to recruits. More to the reality that we've got a lot of 22+ year olds who haven't kicked on and become senior players. Johnson, Krueger, Macrae, Begg, Sullivan, Bytel, Long. It means they're in trouble. Cutting oldies wouldn't add much future potential - it'd simply mean adding an extra really late pick or SSP player.

I understand what you’re saying. However, I truely believe we are going to do something really big this trade period.

I can’t see the senior players signing up for another year or mediocrity.

Interesting to hear one of the reasons Trac was in Noosa was for family reasons, and despite having a legitimate reason to be there the club allowed dissatisfaction within the team by not revealing that. So that's only 1 reason he/his family's noses are out of joint, but you can believe there's plenty of small cuts leading to this moment.

If he's available, you take him. Not only would he be a great leader once Pendles goes, he can help push another 3-4 years of our midfield strength as well as being a great mentor for the kids coming through. Imagine Lachie Sullivan, Long, Allan and Reef all being training buddies with him.
I’m struggling with it because at least two of them probably aren’t at the club in 2025.

Wrights resigned so won’t be involved in our trade period for those that have criticised him
Hopefully Leppa is less of a pushover at the trade table than Wright was.

Dees aren't paying any portion of Grundy's salary.
Simpsons Thats The Joke GIF

Petracca will request a big Melb club

It won’t be tigers and I don’t think saints or kangaroos

Us .Essendon ,Carlton ,hawthorn or maybe even bulldogs

They could trade JUH for petracca and Melbourne gets their key forward they need

Bulldogs have the luxury of Naughton and Darcy remaining

I understand what you’re saying. However, I truely believe we are going to do something really big this trade period.

I can’t see the senior players signing up for another year or mediocrity.
Unlike a few of the doomers I’m sure the players and coaches don’t have a woe is me attitude. They will 100% believe we can win it next season, as they should.

Petracca will request a big Melb club

It won’t be tigers and I don’t think saints or kangaroos

Us .Essendon ,Carlton ,hawthorn or maybe even bulldogs

They could trade JUH for petracca and Melbourne gets their key forward they need

Bulldogs have the luxury of Naughton and Darcy remaining
JUH is worth at least two Petraccas at the trade table. And Trac has developed a taste for the finer things in life. The West is too rough for him. Needs a prestige training location in the right part of town.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back