List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

It doesn't have to be just a trade for Trac. Maybe a deal could be brokered for us to free some cap space for Melbourne as well. A player they don't want or need that is contracted. Throw in a reasonable pick or two and some steak knives and who knows.

And, maybe we could let them win this week.

I do think we could do the Petracca deal and if I was Dees I would consider it.

Our 2025 firsts a given.
Package up our picks this years draft and get Brisbanes first.

Dees have 2 obvious needs that we can fulfill.
AS back up ruck....Smit or Steene. I think Smit could be a good addition for them.
Dees do well with lever but struggle when he is out. Charlie Dean is a good addition for them on top of this.

They should look to replace Petracca with their 1st rounder this year.

2025. Mac Andrew is up for contract and wants to return to Melbourne. That will cost 2 1sts and a million in salary cap and be well worth it.

The option do you keep a 29 year old (next year) who doesnt want to be there and is coming back from a significant injury.
I dont think he is worth more than what I have suggested and his value will decline with time.

If you can get Andrew in a year or keep Petracca for another 4 years after what would you do?
They might be best placed for Andrew. He will be worth 3 first rounders.

Apart from a number closer to $1m per year over 5-6 years than we'd like that is, the market for him will be hot if he decides to leave the Stains.

Our form slide probably hurts our chances a little as well, especially with the Hawks looking on the up comparatively speaking and being cashed up like they are.
Do you think our form slide was that bad. In reality if we had kicked 1 point more in both our draws and not roobed of a fifty against sydney, we are playing for top 4 this week. Maybe players who understand the game can see that.

That you put Adams in the same category as Petracca is ridiculous.

Adams gave almost 10 years of service to our club and despite missing the GF was a huge part of our premiership. Always a good move for the club to show a loyal servant the total disrespect of denying him a chance to extend his career. All so we can keep him against his will for one year and move two spots up the draft.

Didn't hear any complaints when Hawthorn let T Mitchell go for peanuts
I'm not putting Adams in the same league as Petracca. I'm purely making a point around the narrative we have on the players we trade out vs the players traded out from other clubs in similar circumstances.

Petracca has given even longer service to Melbourne, won them a premiership and they almost killed him by putting him back out on the field. If he wants to leave for a certain club, do you think Melbourne should extract full trade value or hold him to his contract?

In fact Petraccas situation is way worse than whatever narrative we've conjured up on letting Adams leave for unders on some "compassionate" grounds.

Last edited:
Do you think our form slide was that bad. In reality if we had kicked 1 point more in both our draws and not roobed of a fifty against sydney, we are playing for top 4 this week. Maybe players who understand the game can see that.
Exactly. The comp is so even this year. Just a couple of points & 1-2 different umpiring decisions in 1-2 games & we're playing finals, despite all our injuries.

Our last 3 weeks we've got back to playing some good footy, with more connection & confidence.

I think the 2 teams most clubs wouldn't like to meet in the finals would have been us & Hawks.

We drafted Jay Rantall, because he could run all day.
The problem was that he couldn't play football.
Drafting is always a bit of a lottery - Dow was a pick 3, and now he is in and out of the St Kilda side.
I think the impressive thing about our drafting is that players like jay go better after they leave the club...

maybe we should send finn and reef away for a year on a trip around europe....

I think the impressive thing about our drafting is that players like jay go better after they leave the club...

maybe we should send finn and reef away for a year on a trip around europe....
That speaks to poor development. Poulters doing better at Dogs than Bytel for us. McMahon also almost became the VFL leading goal kicker this year and performing better than Eyre who was from the same draft class.

Would really just like to see us back in the talented young draftees with opportunity instead of wasting list spots and games on delisted SSPs and MSDs.

Sam Darcy? 208cm key forward? Not that he’s going anywhere but if he isn’t worth 2 first rounders at least…
They all are until they aren’t. Yes on occasion it works out, for us and the bombers it hasn’t really.

I would be very cautious trading anymore first and future first round picks.

In the end we are going to finish somewhere between 9th and 13th and you know as we all do that we have performed well below expectations, barely getting across the lien against weaker teams and giving up handy leads to draw or lose games against mid-range outfits, so for the reigning premier that's a form slide now matter how we may want to spin it.

There are reasons behind it of course, but this season has also exposed some big deficiencies in our list, both up forward and down back. We also have an ageing list profile with a fair chunk of our best-22 core group gone in the next 1-2 years and not a whole lot of younger players looking like they're ready to step up.

TL;DR - Yes our form slide has been that bad for a team that was projecting to be in contention to go back to back at the start of the season and our window is now by any definition in the throes of closing over the next 1-2 years, not opening in the way the Hawks' window appears to be.

Last edited:
Petracca had his insides busted.
He also had his mind busted.
The insides heal quicker than the mind.
Never under-estimate this.
I’m not trading the farm.
JDG is not going. Nor is Q. Melbourne was sniffing around McInness last year.
Reef + 2024 (2nd) and 2025 (1st).
That’s it.
If they don’t want it, they can GAGF.
The terms are reasonable.
(Don’t forget, we are clearing 1.2 million cap space for them).

That speaks to poor development. Poulters doing better at Dogs than Bytel for us. McMahon also almost became the VFL leading goal kicker this year and performing better than Eyre who was from the same draft class.

Would really just like to see us back in the talented young draftees with opportunity instead of wasting list spots and games on delisted SSPs and MSDs.
Poulter was dropped last week & spent most of year in the 2's at the Doggies.

No club selected McMahon in the msd, including Blues who see him every week.

I'd say our history of success with SSP's & MSD's have served us well.

Petracca would be our version of a Dangerfield. A proper bull.
I do think we could do the Petracca deal and if I was Dees I would consider it.

Our 2025 firsts a given.
Package up our picks this years draft and get Brisbanes first.

Dees have 2 obvious needs that we can fulfill.
AS back up ruck....Smit or Steene. I think Smit could be a good addition for them.
Dees do well with lever but struggle when he is out. Charlie Dean is a good addition for them on top of this.

They should look to replace Petracca with their 1st rounder this year.

2025. Mac Andrew is up for contract and wants to return to Melbourne. That will cost 2 1sts and a million in salary cap and be well worth it.

The option do you keep a 29 year old (next year) who doesnt want to be there and is coming back from a significant injury.
I dont think he is worth more than what I have suggested and his value will decline with time.

If you can get Andrew in a year or keep Petracca for another 4 years after what would you do?
They might be best placed for Andrew. He will be worth 3 first rounders.

Will Gold Coast really want draft picks? Surely not.

Poulter was dropped last week & spent most of year in the 2's at the Doggies.

No club selected McMahon in the msd, including Blues who see him every week.

I'd say our history of success with SSP's & MSD's have served us well.
With Poults they are overrating him over the back of one good game against a cooked Dees

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not putting Adams in the same league as Petracca. I'm purely making a point around the narrative we have on the players we trade out vs the players traded out from other clubs in similar circumstances.

Petracca has given even longer service to Melbourne, won them a premiership and they almost killed him by putting him back out on the field. If he wants to leave for a certain club, do you think Melbourne should extract full trade value or hold him to his contract?

In fact Petraccas situation is way worse than whatever narrative we've conjured up on letting Adams leave for unders on some "compassionate" grounds.
I don't think that there has ever been a situation like the Petracca one. Closest is probably the Beams trade x2 but he was nowhere near the calibre of Petracca either time. Petracca is a top 10 league wide midfielder, still in his prime with 5 years on his contract, an absolute professional on and off field and likely to be the last player Melbourne would want to lose.

There is no comparison to be made with any of our previous trades. As to whether Melbourne should hold him to his contract, my prediction is that Melbourne will look to move on everyone involved in Petracca's mistreatment first but if it can't be repaired, they'll put out a hard stance but ultimately let him go. Wherever he goes, the clubs will do right by each other at the trade table.

well i think drafting talented players is a good idea...drafting players who cant play in the seniors isnt working.

McInnes was doing the same at VFL level 12 months ago ditto Macrae. It’s a big step up from knowing what you’re capable of at that level to doing it at the top level. If this were to become a live discussion on acquiring the best forward of centre mid in the game given what else we have to offer I think views will soften.
I reckon with our list profile it would give us another 2 years.

Then we’d hit a West Coast’esque cliff right as Tassie is primed to enter the comp and drain the talent pool.

It’s a massive risk to take and could set us back for a significant period of time. Not one I’d be willing to take with our lack of young talent.
Tassie will have the massive advantage in the draft, but history shows with GWS and GC, there’s a hell of a lot of misses in the first two years on talent.

When they do stack a really good side together, they either, can’t keep them all, or gold fringe players leave for opportunity.
Have a look at how many ex GWS players are in or have played for different sides, the rest of the comp will benefit, and I don’t think it will be the catastrophe some are predicting.

Tassie will have the massive advantage in the draft, but history shows with GWS and GC, there’s a hell of a lot of misses in the first two years on talent.

When they do stack a really good side together, they either, can’t keep them all, or gold fringe players leave for opportunity.
Have a look at how many ex GWS players are in or have played for different sides, the rest of the comp will benefit, and I don’t think it will be the catastrophe some are predicting.
The afl wont make it like last time. They'll get picks, yes some for the draft, but some they'll have to trade for players. They wont want them to become full of non competitive kids.
Which will make it easier on the rest of the comp for the draft.

That year we have some NGA and FS anyway.

There is a way for Collingwood to get a first round pick in this year's draft, and we could do that by taking a page out of Geelong's playbook. If there is a club that wants to dump a players salary in exchange for handing over their first round pick, we would be a in a good position to execute it considering the rumoured cap space we now seem to possess. Which in turn should give us the flexibility in trading future firsts again

There is a way for Collingwood to get a first round pick in this year's draft, and we could do that by taking a page out of Geelong's playbook. If there is a club that wants to dump a players salary in exchange for handing over their first round pick, we would be a in a good position to execute it considering the rumoured cap space we now seem to possess. Which in turn should give us the flexibility in trading future firsts again
Unless I'm mistaken, I believe the rumoured cap space comes when our older players retire. So think it's more referring to 2025 and beyond.

Our biggest priority should be to rebuild our midfield. We do not want to risk burning nick out this early in his career. As much as I would love for us to get petraca, we have to do our best to get a midfield setup that Freo, port and Sydney have. A young core that will be able to share 6-8 years of their peak performance.

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe the rumoured cap space comes when our older players retire. So think it's more referring to 2025 and beyond.
Even if that is the case, the clubs normally have the ability to shift portions of the players salary to years where there is greater salary cap space.

Exactly. The comp is so even this year. Just a couple of points & 1-2 different umpiring decisions in 1-2 games & we're playing finals, despite all our injuries.

Our last 3 weeks we've got back to playing some good footy, with more connection & confidence.

I think the 2 teams most clubs wouldn't like to meet in the finals would have been us & Hawks.
Footscray are rampant also

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back