List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

I love Petracca as much as anyone but reckon we should instead really be going all-in to land 23 y.o. inside midfielder James Peatling from GWS.

Peatling is out of contract and has been starved of opportunities, especially in his preferred inside-mid role. But when he has played there he has been terrific, even getting the perfect 10 coaches votes against Brisbane two games ago. He’s the right age and an absolutely critical positional need first us. And he has baulked at signing the contract that GWS has offered, so seems gettable.

I reckon our 2024 and 2025 second rounders would be enough to get it done and would still leave us our 2025 first rounder.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

i hope that anyone here who has any dealings with collingwood officials or staff will tell them that it would be a mistake to entertain any thoughts of getting christian petracca. Crazy things happen when people get desperate and we need to make sure that collingwood people dont do anything stupid. He's almost 29. Tell them to take some deep breaths...

I love Petracca as much as anyone but reckon we should instead really be going all-in to land 23 y.o. inside midfielder James Peatling from GWS.

Peatling is out of contract and has been starved of opportunities, especially in his preferred inside-mid role. But when he has played there he has been terrific, even getting the perfect 10 coaches votes against Brisbane two games ago. He’s the right age and an absolutely critical positional need first us. And he has baulked at signing the contract that GWS has offered, so seems gettable.

I reckon our 2024 and 2025 second rounders would be enough to get it done and would still leave us our 2025 first rounder.

2 second rounders for a midfielder that has barely established himself in the best 22, drafted from the MSD. No thanks. Defeats the whole purpose of going for a moneyball approach. What do you think Noble would get us in a trade? Our 2024 second rounder is our only chance of trying to land something in this year's strong draft and our 2025 second rounder will actually be valuable as ideally we want to use second rounders to match Mcguane next year.

2 second rounders for a midfielder that has barely established himself in the best 22, drafted from the MSD. No thanks. Defeats the whole purpose of going for a moneyball approach. What do you think Noble would get us in a trade? Our 2024 second rounder is our only chance of trying to land something in this year's strong draft and our 2025 second rounder will actually be valuable as ideally we want to use second rounders to match Mcguane next year.

Have you actually watched Peatling play or just looked up how he was drafted?

He’s a future gun but stuck behind the likes of Green, Coniglio, Kelly, Daniels, Bedford, Callaghan, etc. He’s way better than the likes of Macrae, Sullivan, Long and Lipinski. Against Melbourne, whose midfield is strong, he had 28 disposals (18 contested), 8 clearances, 11 tackles and 5 marks.

Two second-rounders is exactly what we gave up for an equally not-quite-established but talented Bobby Hill.

Peatling would immediately be a Best 22 centre square mid for us, solving what is currently a massive problem.

And we’ll still have our 2025 first rounder to trade for a combo of other picks to land McGuane and someone else.

Last edited:
I don’t have any source of info but I still think Bailey Smith is a very good chance to nominate us come seasons end.

He’s a future gun but stuck behind the likes of Green, Coniglio, Kelly, Daniels, Bedford, Callaghan, etc. He’s way better than the likes of Macrae, Sullivan, Long and Lipinski. Against Melbourne, whose midfield is strong, he had 28 disposals (18 contested), 8 clearances, 11 tackles and 5 marks.

Two second-rounders is exactly what we gave up for an equally not-quite-established but talented Bobby Hill.

Peatling would immediately be a Best 22 centre square mid for us, solving what is currently a massive problem.

And we’ll still have our 2025 first rounder to trade for a combo of other picks to land McGuane and someone else.

I'm not against getting Peatling. But paying 2x 2nd rounders is excessive for someone who you admit is GWS's 7th best midfielder and is constantly a sub.

Being better than Macrae/Sullivan/Long/Lipinski is not a high bar and something I'd expect a lot more of from 2x 2nd rounders. We paid 1x 2nd rounder for Hill btw.

Also the idea is that we have enough 2nd rounders next year that we don't need to trade our first out if it comes in before Mcguane

Not quite…

“The Giants trade Hill and its round-three selection (pick No.40) to Collingwood for its round-three selection (43) and its future second-round selection”.

Actually we traded only our future second and upgraded our current (at the time) 3rd rounder from 43 to 40 for Hill. He was an absolute steal.

These are the types of deals that built the premiership squad and what we need to get back to! Peatling’s a guy that walks straight in and is in our midfield for the next decade two 30+ picks is a Hill level bargain!

Last edited:
I don’t have any source of info but I still think Bailey Smith is a very good chance to nominate us come seasons end.
Peatling and Bailey Smith would be a good get and I think possible, will set up our midfield for the next 6 years.
Would love Petraca but I think price would be just too high

There are no retirements.

Any relief, through not having to pay Stephenson, Treloar and Grundy will be muted through increases to premiership player contracts.
That's not how it works, the older players get they don't get more money just because they won a premiership. The club has money to spend now and will have even more at the conclusion of the 2025 season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GeelongI don’t have any source of info but I still think Bailey Smith is a very good chance to nominate us come seasons end.
If we are talking to Sydney about trading our F1 for their two first rounders (or better still GC) happy to offload 1 for Smith and Dogs cap relief and take the other to the draft.

Pick difference between Swan’s first and Geelong first would be minimal

Jake Lever was just asked on SEN about the Petracca situation.

Amongst mostly positive stuff he said some players may have asked "Where's Trac?" but it supposedly wasn't a frustration that he wasn't there. He also revealed that they probably didn't quite understand what he was going through.

Look, don't get me wrong... but is that possibly not a huge red flag in this whole situation? They didn't know what he was going through? And couldn't understand why he wasn't at work?

Unless he's just being reclusive or has a huge grudge against the medical staff etc... which would also be a huge red flag.

If we are talking to Sydney about trading our F1 for their two first rounders (or better still GC) happy to offload 1 for Smith and Dogs cap relief and take the other to the draft.

Pick difference between Swan’s first and Geelong first would be minimal
Why would Sydney do that though?

We aren't getting Smith the reason we arent getting petracca. No first round pick.
That boat sailed months ago.
Yes, but I keep reading that the pick wouldn't have helped us get all the way to 10th on the ladder or it might, wait for it, be a bust, so I'm glad it's gone...

It’s forum for debate and discussion.
What do you expect?
I didn’t expect you to accept the feedback from your fellow posters.
I tend to think of it as a discussion forum as opposed to a debate one.
By all means make your point and allow others to also.
However, the constant back and forth, (debating) is a bit much.
That’s my view as a fellow poster btw.

Yep - he is the one I want. Not out of reach for us.

Jake Lever was just asked on SEN about the Petracca situation.

Amongst mostly positive stuff he said some players may have asked "Where's Trac?" but it supposedly wasn't a frustration that he wasn't there. He also revealed that they probably didn't quite understand what he was going through.

Look, don't get me wrong... but is that possibly not a huge red flag in this whole situation? They didn't know what he was going through? And couldn't understand why he wasn't at work?

Unless he's just being reclusive or has a huge grudge against the medical staff etc... which would also be a huge red flag.
There was another news source I saw last night (I forget exactly where) that said even Gawn’s communication (to him and from him to the rest of the group) was very lax. So most players were in the dark of knowing what was going on and amongst that, Trac had permission to go up Nth for longer.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back