List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Neither would I, has some petrol left in the tank but after having another weird injury again where (this time) he was losing feeling in his lower extremities I wouldn't blame him if he decided to hang up the boots instead of putting his body through the grind just to get one last season out of himself to finish his contract.

He's at the point now where what the next 50+ years of his life will look like his is coming firmly into view so I wouldn't blame him if he did pull the pin, although we'd obviously be happy for him to play on next year as well if he feels that he is up to it physically and mentally.
Gabelich slipped into a broader conversation on sen this evening that Elliott is playing on next season.

Discount remains at 10%, but I havenā€™t seen any numbers on the scaling back of picks in the 20-40 bracket.

Just did some rough maths based on the statement that over 10,000 DVI points will be removed, picks 54-73 account for 1971 points so that's 8,000+ points to come off the remaining picks.

Applying that as a flat adjustment across picks 1-54 would mean about a 16% reduction for each pick, applying that to only picks 19-54 (round 2 onwards) would be about a 42% adjustment to those picks only.

I doubt they'll have a big step down from pick 18 to pick 19, so we're likely to see a curve somewhere in between where, for example, pick 19 would be something roughly between 500 and 750 points (probably somewhere towards the upper end of that range) while pick 36 would end up somewhere roughly between 280 and 420 points (probably somewhere closer to the middle of that range).

Comparing that to the value of say, picks 1 and 5 (2500 - 3000 points and 1550 - 1878 points respectively when applying the same 'adjustments') and it becomes a bit clearer that stockpiling multiple later 2nd and earlier 3rd round picks for bid matches (especially early / multiple bid matches) isn't going to work as well as it once did, especially with reduction in discount when matching and the open list spot restrictions on the number of points-carrying draft picks a club can use still in place.

Of course this is purely uninformed speculation, but everyone likes a nice steady curve so we at least have something to work off here.

At 24 we've seen what he can be, a highly skilled totally non physical tall who plays like Justin Westhoff. .

Bloody hell if we had a Justin Westhoff clone on the market wanting to come to us then I'm hoping we'd be all over that. Westhoff was a whipping boy at the Power at times especially towards the end, but a player of that ilk is exactly what we need right now.

p.s. Lukosious is more a Grant Birchall-lite type imo, I'd be fine having him as a floating interceptor and distributor coming off half back like Birchall used to but he'll be courted heavily by the SA clubs who have cash to spend so minimal to no chance we'd even be in the picture.

He's at the point now where what the next 50+ years of his life will look like his is coming firmly into view so I wouldn't blame him if he did pull the pin, although we'd obviously be happy for him to play on next year as well if he feels that he is up to it physically and mentally.
Who thinks about their 70s when in their 30s?

Rumour is that Mark Keane has walked out on the crows, the cover story is that he has gone home, which he has, but itā€™s being said that he wonā€™t return to the crows, fed up with them apparently

Now thatā€™s good for us I guess, but does show a pattern that Keane ups and leaves when things get tough. I know with us it was during Covid, but still

Fed up after playing every game and probably being up there in the B&F after doing a solid job all year?

Who thinks about their 70s when in their 30s?

There's a few years in between your 30's and 70's last time I checked, or at least I hope there is because if there isn't then I'm kinda ****ed trying to keep up with / chase around this black+white wearing 7 year old ratbag know-it-all of mine...

It's funny the opinion on JL. Kicked 39 goals last year in the regular season, no finals, bottom 8 side. Again this year, played as a defender half the time and still kicked 20 + so far in a side which is a bottom 8 team. Beautiful skills and is an athlete. I would take him tomorrow but no chance!
Agree its worth thinking about. We have chronically lacked goalkickers for more than a decade now and have got by by other means but more firepower is needed.

Apart from Miho in 2023 you have to go back to 2013 , T Cloke, to find a Collingwood player who kicked more than 39 in a H&A season.

Iā€™d like to know what the club knows about Reef and McRae.

To talk them up and then be hesitant in playing them kind of throws me.

Both have played nearly 20 games at senior level over 4 seasons and neither has been at all reliable when games have been on a knifeā€™s edge. Certainly neither has grabbed a game by the scruff of the neck and demanded selection. When you boil all that down, the coaches just donā€™t trust them to perform under pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Both have played nearly 20 games at senior level over 4 seasons and neither has been at all reliable when games have been on a knifeā€™s edge. Certainly neither has grabbed a game by the scruff of the neck and demanded selection. When you boil all that down, the coaches just donā€™t trust them to perform under pressure.

Many of those games have had them start as a sub for three quarters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't know about being versatile, only really played as a third tall and being incredibly soft turned invisible during finals matches.
Reckon its always sound to have a bit of basis to claims that sound suspect

Westoff played 9 finals in his career, 3 of them in his 1st season. He did okay in these 3 in 2007 by stats but in the other 6 finals his ouput statistically, on disposals , marks and goals was better than his career average. Doesnt fit "disappears in finals" and I dont remember that being the case

Career averages 16 disp, 5.6 marks, 1.1 goals
6 finals (didnt include 1st year 3) 17.8 disposals, 6.5 marks, 1.2 goals.

By stats he looks pretty good in finals.

If you start as sub and want to elevate yourself into the starting line-up then you need to impress in whatever time on ground youā€™ve been given. Guys like Harrison and Richards have seized their moments. Macrae and McInnes havenā€™t. And in several cases Macrae started in the 22 and was then subbed off. Thatā€™s really blowing your chance.

I think thatā€™s acceptable at this stage of their career, but neither has even really looked relevant at the level let alone comfortable. The best weā€™ve had is cameos which make no real suggestion of future ability. In comparisons with say Ruscoe or Bianco itā€™s neck and neck whilst neither of them received a 5th year. Deservedly so, IMO.
Agree its worth thinking about. We have chronically lacked goalkickers for more than a decade now and have got by by other means but more firepower is needed.

Apart from Miho in 2023 you have to go back to 2013 , T Cloke, to find a Collingwood player who kicked more than 39 in a H&A season.
Talent can take you a fair way GC of which Lukocious has as much as anyone in the game. The problem is when the whips are cracking, as they seemingly always are at Collingwood, heā€™ll fold faster than superman on laundry day. It would need to be a favourable deal for us to go down that path because heā€™s just not a Collingwood type of player.

Last edited:
I think thatā€™s acceptable at this stage of their career, but neither has even really looked relevant at the level let alone comfortable. The best weā€™ve had is cameos which make no real suggestion of future ability. In comparisons with say Ruscoe or Bianco itā€™s neck and neck whilst neither of them received a 5th year. Deservedly so, IMO.

Talent can take you a fair GC of which Lukocious has as much as anyone in the game. The problem is when the whips are cracking, as they seemingly always are at Collingwood, heā€™ll fold faster than superman on laundry day. It would need to be a favourable deal for us to go down that path because heā€™s just not a Collingwood type of player.
Lukocious plays like a girl.
No thanks.

Talent can take you a fair GC of which Lukocious has as much as anyone in the game. The problem is when the whips are cracking, as they seemingly always are at Collingwood, heā€™ll fold faster than superman on laundry day. It would need to be a favourable deal for us to go down that path because heā€™s just not a Collingwood type of player.
Yeah I see that concern. In a year when we have little to play with in draft/trade a 24 year old with untapped talent may be worth a risk. A real chance it might blow up also.

Thats what we see. They have had pre seasons, practice games, VFL games and six days a week at the club. They train match simulation. They train their roles. The club knows exactly where Fin and Reef are at. Fin and Reef know exactly whatā€™s required of them.

The myth of BF is that they havenā€™t had a decent block of AFL starting games.

For two seasons they couldnā€™t break into a side that won a flag. Thatā€™s not unreasonable. Our best side won a flag.

Clearly the club either rates their development and wants to see more improvement or they donā€™t and they will be offered for trade or delisted.

Alternatively they can request a trade to a club where they think they will get a game.

AFL game time is such a small part of what we see as supporters.

IMO they both stay for at least one more year.

Fed up after playing every game and probably being up there in the B&F after doing a solid job all year?
I am really sceptical about recruiting Keane. Reminds me a touch of Beams fool me once situation. Then we have Howe and Moore so it is that 3rd spot. Dean and Frampton are playing and whom he will be competing with, means Moore has to play last line as Keane is very shaky there. To me he is more a 2025 recruit when Howe goes than a 2024.

Reef McInness I dont think we have scratched the surface on. Ultimate utility who can play any line and is potentially the fastest on our list. Watching Warner break away from stoppages and Hawthorns use of bigger bodies means we really should be working him into the side and utilising his strengths better. He can play as a lead up forward but I am not sure that is his best role.

Ever thought to yourself this could be you. Now that's what's mental.
A crazy person does not think they're crazy.
Because they're crazy.
Put your smock on and get on with it.
You crazy bastard
will friedle painting GIF by Alpha

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back